Help with Big Surr and cracked plugins

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by zenlyfe, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

When I upgraded to Catalina all I got was worse performance (took longer to open and close apps, playback in Live would stutter frequently, etc) and the inability to use my 32 bit vsts. I'd say downgrade back to Mojave if you can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. andy

andy Guest

I have a new M1 with big sur and it works perfectly with Logic pro and Ableton ... Otherwise I would be on Windows collecting plugins and not making music.:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. groove

groove Kapellmeister

i
    in the main time the use of 32 bit software is outdated in 2021.... the only reason for that if you are using old cracked plugin ( but in this case the plugin are outdated also there are certainly best plugin which make the same and certainly better in other company ) ... Big Sur is more fast than catalina for all app.... and all working....

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Welcome to 2021 - why on earth limit yourself to 32-bit plugins with a 4GB memory restriction when most of us have 16 or 32GB RAM machines? Inevitably Windows will do the same eventually and bin 32-bit for good.

I've been on Catalina for over a year and I get zero issues whatsoever in Ableton so that's not necessarily a Catalina problem.

5. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Mate, what?

Welcome to my workflow and favorite plugins. The only way I ever got close to filling 12 GB of RAM on windows is by loading more than a dozen Kontakt libraries at once without purging the unused samples. Also I like the way you phrased it. "Why limit on earth yourself [...] when most of us have 16 or 32GB RAM machines?"
    So is this about me or is it about you? :)

6. nenocloud

nenocloud Member

I didn't have those issues in my current Catalina, so I guess I'll stay unless there's a bigger valid reason for me to go back.

7. groove

groove Kapellmeister

euh you don't have seen the title in... we speak Mac system here and he's right all my plugin work in 64 bit I don't use 32 bit since 2 years at last
    and today for audio or video desktop the norm is 64 or 128 gb for the ram...

8. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Well when I look around at the ton of people moaning that Apple's new M1 laptops were LIMITED to 16GB of RAM as well - it would seem you're in the minority. Limiting any application to a 4GB memory limit (which 32-bit apps are) is ridiculous nowadays.

9. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

amazing !! cant wait to get my m1 machine

10. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Hahahahah. No. No, it's not. For neither of those things and not for the average consumer. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're a big dick editor just cause you shoot and edit in 4/6/8K and "need" 64GB or RAM. Music production-wise back in the GIGA days 4GB of RAM were plenty enough. A dozen instances of Kontakt with things such as Albion One, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Nucleus and converted VSL libraries can't even fill up 8gb unless you have literally dozens of instruments loaded up and you don't purge the unused samples (which is something you should always do if you care about saving time and resources)

I genuinely don't get what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to shame me for using 32 bit plugins? Are you trying to convince me to upgrade OS? Literally no 32 bit plugin in the world (that doesn't have a 64 bit version) is going to use 4GB of RAM. I looked around and I couldn't find any of those people you mentioned. The only people who would complain are exactly the kind of people who are willing to overpay for hardware they're never going to utilize. And they're also the kind of people who would've purchased a Mac Pro anyway, not a Macbook or a Mac Mini.

11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

A daw or plugin that is 32 Bit has a maximum of 4 GB allocated to it.
    This 4 GB ceiling vanishes when everything is 64 BIT.
    That's what Bitmonkey is getting at.

12. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

4GB are absolutely more than enough for any plugin that isn't a sampler. Most 32-bit plugins that haven't received an update to 64-bit can't even dream of using 4GB of RAM. And he's been talking under the false assumption that I'm using a 32-bit DAW. I'm not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Smoove Grooves

Yes. But also this 4 GB is allocated to the daw as well, so unless Kontakt Memory Server is working for you, it isn't a fair share of RAM!
    But you are using a 64 Bit daw, so it's all good!
    Still doesn't mean that a 32 Bit plugin functions any better in a 64 Bit environment though.
    Anyway. I'm the same as you.
    I see no need to let go of certain plugins if I don't have to.
    Yet I am happier having done so! I have a few other systems I can boot into for older plugins if I need to use them.

14. groove

groove Kapellmeister

I think you are using as you want .. for me my session of Ableton are between 8 and 14 Gb of ram... and for me technology today allow me to use a processor with 10 core more than 64gb of ram tb3 etc and I want to use it's a story of choice ::: for me 4gb for working today is ridiculous that's all...

15. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

I'm. Not. Using. A. 32-bit. DAW.
    I'm in NO WAY limited to 4GB of RAM.

16. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Anything using 32-bit addressing is limited to 4GB of memory address because (wait for it) thats the binary address boundary.

You're happily jumping up and down because YES you personally avoid some problems with it in *your* personal usage with a 64-bit DAW as the DAW can address the memory outside of these restrictions across all plugins, but since in many cases you also have to bridge the 32-bit crap now to use it in a 64-bit DAW (Logic X, latest Cubase etc. which are 64-bit ONLY) that then has it's own potential problems/instabilities etc as well as adding another layer in between. I've used JBridge back in the days when Sylenth and others took days to get 64-bit versions for Logic X and I sure wouldn't want to go back to them.

So if that doesn't affect you in *your* personal production bubble (which you're clearly so desperate to justify) then you carry on. The rest of us will use 64-bit. I literally can't remember the last 32-bit plugin I was desperate to keep using past Sylenth and that's at least a few years ago.

Maybe I'm not stuck in my ways - I've changed my key plugins massively over the 10 years I've been producing. Plus I'm 100% legit now so I don't need to cling to old 32-bit cracks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  17. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Jesus fucking christ dude, you're insufferable. I genuinely don't get what you're going to win from this argument aside from slightly irritating me.

18. Smoove Grooves

If those words are when you are just slightly irritated, I think we'd all agree we should just leave it.

19. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

If his arrogance doesn't annoy you then good for you. :dunno:

20. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Just take a skim through the thread and see who escalated into insults and throwing his rattle about rather than having a normal discussion. It wasn't me. 'Big dick editor' being one of the examples I can quote and you had a go at pretty much everyone in a similar vein.

Here's a mirror.