Help to understand routing

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by BenniTheBlockbuster, May 24, 2023.

1. Popa2caps

Popa2caps Newbie

Hello, sorry about the late reply.

In one of the Mix With The Masters shows he was asked that same question, and you're basically correct. If there is a Master track on any bus the routing goes into that first, then the below bus.

It's basically just a VCA fader.

So for example here is the routing for a Kick track.

Kick
    C Drums Master (NLS chain, EQ if needed)
    C-Drums R-Bass, Shadow Hills Comp, Gate, Black Box
    Dnb Standard Clip
    All Drums (I use Bx Control V3 and enable mono maker -60hz)
    Mix Bus Comp + Limiter ( added my settings to this if you wanted to see them).

808/Sub gets routed to a copy of C Drums/M, but with no Shadow Hills comp, but instead uses R-Comp. Not sure what they use now. Seems to have changed a lot. 808/Sub then goes into Dnb to get summed with the drums.

Cymbals go into Hi or Low percussion bus, then routed into All Drums. I use Standard clip on both Hi and Lo to control digital peaks.

The sends are used to add lost transients. They all get routed to All Drums. Basically what I noticed is just use parallel compression to bring back lost transients and call it a day.

Instrument tracks are individually set into group buses, but like all keyboards goes into all keys, that then goes into Main Music, then All Music.

The main focus he tries to teach, or what thought is to control the voltage before anything goes into the mix bus. Like, if something is overloading the mix bus limiter, turn it down with the VCA fader, or pre fader whatever.

Also a ton of work goes into pre-production. Editing samples, to make sure nothing is using a time stretching algorithm etc. Even spends time (or his team) clip gaining down high peaks. Like the music he agrees to work on, it doesn't sound bad before going in.

Seems to love to clip gain in Pro Tools. So using clip gain on a Sub to sidechain a Kick to make space, or duck a percussion instrument. Basically goes through most of everything to see fighting frequency, and lets one win.

I think pre-production is the most important thing to be honest. This mixing chain isn't to fix something that sounds bad, just help it to be perceived louder, while having a wide dynamic.

Honestly, the best information I gained was from watching Mix With The Masters JJ and Dave #4.

I'm still learning, and not even trying to be a mix engineer. Just a producer trying to get good sounding mixes lol

Also, I used that pan plugin because I jump from DAWs a lot while testing, and needed something that I could use in each. I only had the 4U from hofa because it was close to Pro Tools. Now I'm using Kilohearts channel mixer.

I really tried to match Pro Tools to the best of my abilities. I loaded the template and started watching levels with Waves vitamin (so I had an easy read out of volumes).

What I learned very quickly is not all dual panning plugins work the same as pro tools.

I don't personally use Studio One anymore. I have Studio One 4/5 pro, but I moved into Bitwig for production and am looking at UAD's Luna for mixing, or who knows even Pro Tools being perpetual licences are back.

Studio One kept giving out odd little quirks that would drive me nuts in a Windows envoriment, but I'm happy with mixing in Bitwig atm, love those plugins in a sandbox, so I never crash. I push things over the limits just to crash the plugin sandbox all the time haha.

Sorry if this didn't answer your reply, message anytime.

"Mixing Plugin Presets"

Attached Files:

2. Scor

Scor Newbie

is the template ready for studio one ? cause ive bought one online ,mabe this can help aswell