Help to understand routing

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by BenniTheBlockbuster, May 24, 2023.

1. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding Jaycen Joshua's mixing template in Studio One.
    For this I have now downloaded the trial version of Pro Tools to understand how the routing goes.

He has in his template once C Drums and once C Drums M

What I do not understand is what is C Drums M for a channel?

He routes all his drums including 808's to C Drums, I know this from his Mix with the Masters videos.
    This C Drums channel then goes on to Drum n Bass J channel.

But the C Drums M channel still gets signal even though it is not fed by any sound.

The same goes for the Drum n Bass J M channel.

What are these two channels .... I do not understand.

I hope you understand my problem.

I add you a screenshot of the mixer so that you can understand it better

jj template.png

greetings

3. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Maybe parallel FX/processing plugins are routed to that group bus? :dunno:

P.S. I'm not a protools user, so can't quite decipher what's going on in the insert section on that bus.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. BenniTheBlockbuster

Thank you for your Quick answer .

i post the template right here , so maybe someone could help me .

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

C Drums M is loaded up with (waves) Non-Linear Summing plugin instances. https://www.waves.com/plugins/nls-non-linear-summer

It is building up the Drums Subgroup with little imperfections to emulate analog as those imperfections pileup. This doesn't help, but may give you more of a topic to look into:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mixingmast..._nls_buss_plugin_on_drums_jaycen_joshua_mwtm/

In that MWTM episode, he shows a Channel with Fabfilter Pro-Q3 on it; and says it sounds like shit; and then inserts Wavesfactory Spectre there. I stopped paying attention very closely after that.
    It starts becoming obvious some of the plugins being shown are Product Placements. It's a really good video anyway. it reminded me about Izotope Insight2.

https://www.waves.com/studioverse/chain/28aa61fe-2db0-44b1-a9be-4488cec200eb

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. BenniTheBlockbuster

Yes , i know what the NLS are doing , Jaycen said it emulates near perfectly his SSL 4K Console....but i dont understand the Routing , The C Drums M gets feeded but i dont know from which source , because the C Drums are going to another Bus called Drum n Bass J channel .
    where the hell does C Drums M get the signal from...

7. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Could it be sidechain channel and M standing for muted?
    I'm just throwing ideas, I have no clue really..

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

The NLS plugin is working sort of like Izotope Relay does in Neutron. There are two components, with the first instance being inserted onto the individual drum channels. Those channels are feeding into the M channel insert components. They can then be controlled "globally". M is maybe for Mixer.

Thats what I got out of it anyway. I'm not a big waves user.​

9. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

so from a quick google its a master fader thats sent to the all drums
    (also note sigma symbol on the mixer denoting the a master)
    he probly did it so that he didnt run out of inserts LOL
    you chould just make a but with all them waves plugs on then buss into another buss called all drums in studio one

look at 5:50 they explain the all bass M and then say after that the all drums M is the same.

10. BenniTheBlockbuster

Thank you very much for the information, but what is a master fader ?
    Is it the Same as a VCA Fader in Studio one or is it a Bus Channel....i think it cannot be a Bus , because in the Template you cant Route anything to C Drums M.

11. BenniTheBlockbuster

Now im absolutely confused ...:suicide:

12. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

in the video he says its a master fader that feed the aux ie C drums M into C drums

look at page of the manual 1070-1071

To use a Master Fader to trim the input to a submix:
    1 Create an Auxiliary Input track.
    2 Bus the signal from audio tracks in your session
    to the input of the Auxiliary Input track.
    3 Create a stereo Master Fader track and assign
    the Output to the bus path that feeds the Auxil-
    iary Input track

so anything that it routed to C Drums gose through C Drums M first.
    hence why i said just make a buss with with all them waves plugs on then route that to another bus that your going to class as C drums then everything that says its going to c drums gose to the first.

also technicaly a vca fader dose not have audio routed through it. it just controls the gain of the faders of other channels. as the master fader has inserts there is no way it should be confused with a vca.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe I'll watch it again... he tells the "audience" to write lots of things down to explain later.

this is possibly more instructive:

14. BenniTheBlockbuster

If I understood you correctly then it is exactly the same as if I create a bus in Studio one and send this bus to another bus or ?

15. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

yer

the master fader just interceps any audio that is routed to C drums first.

also this may be of use to know

The biggest difference is that with an Aux track, the inserts are before the fader, so the fader gives you final output level control. With a Master Fader track, the inserts are after the fader, so final level control would have to come from the last inserted plug-in in the signal path.

so he can use that fader to also control the amount of drive going into them stacked soft saturators nls plugins.

so you may want to add a plugin to control that

16. BenniTheBlockbuster

Okay , i understand .
    I Hope i can recreate this aux Track in Studio one ...

As far as I remember you can't put inserts on aux tracks in Studio one.
    But there are still the so-called FX tracks.

Edit: im wrong , you can Use Inserts in aux Channels.
    But you can't Route Aux Tracks to a Bus .

17. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

just make two bus tracks

is a aux not for

Aux

An Aux Channel allows an external audio source to be controlled by the Console without the need for an associated track. The incoming audio can be processed by the native plug-in effects, and its volume can be controlled through the sample-accurate automation provided by Studio One. For more information, see Set Up an Aux Channel.

18. Popa2caps

Popa2caps Newbie

I was searching for Jaycens template settings for the Shadow Hills compressor and came across your post.

Yeah, Master fader is used to dial in the NLS chain before it gets sent to the Rbass, Shadow Hills, Black Box plugins. So look at the master fader like having a gain tool before the very first NLS plugin, how it basically works.

So if you turn down the volume of the C Drums M track, you basically are lowering the volume going into the very first NLS bus plugin. In Studio One you don't even need the M tracks, you can combine them together to make one whole chain.

Also I'm not sure what template you have, but there are two that I'm aware of.

https://georgetmusic.mykajabi.com/opt-in-41979439-4aeb-483e-9253-cf53832e8bf5

https://myaudioacademy.sellfy.store/p/jaycen-joshua-mixing-template/

The one by GeorgeTMusic I think is better overall, but the Shadow Hills settings have an oddity I'm not sure about. For one the video states that JJ has the plugin usually in the 75% range, but they didn't think to have it set like that in the template and the sidechain filter is disabled, but mostly every video I've seen of JJ has it enabled.

The other template is nice with sends though, so you could try and save them.

I went ahead and created a short layout in Studio One 5 if it was confusing for you in Pro Tools. Hope it helps. Once you play around the template in Pro Tools it gets easier, took me a few weeks.

Also it's worth noting that the NLS bus has 2 settings that most overlook. One is the first NLS with a .05 drive and I think the 7th one has -2 trim.

Another thing is in Pro Tools the right channel is lowered to 86 from 100. This is because the NLS chain changes the image and this tries to compensate for it. I added a plugin that follows Pro Tools panning law. It's called HOFA 4U and is free.

Basically this pan plugin sits at the end of the chain acting like the 86 right side channel. Use it anytime after a NLS chain.

One thing I didn't add is the gate between the Shadow Hills and the Black box. The gate is to make sure the noise floor doesn't become too active in quiet moments. Just watch the video for the templates to get an idea on the gate.

One big thing is the single level before going into this chain and it's something I do not know. I've seen the kick in one video going out of Neutron into the C Drums at -12, but not sure if it was peak and/ or RMS. If you keep the Shadow Hills at the 7 threshold and 12 gain, I've seen JJ have about 2dB of metering. So I guess you could just drive a kick into the C Drums and wait till it reacts around -2dB of activity.

Heavy lifting seems to be done on the individual tracks, and the C Drums are just for saturation and/ or gain staging.

Again, I hope this helps. Message anytime.
    I'm human, there could be mistakes in the template, please look over it yourself.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Awesome!! I'm a little late here, but I'm gonna try this out right now. I was searching Jaycen Joshua template via google, but did not expect to find something for Studio One specifically. Thanks for sharing man.

If you've made any updates to this, especially if you incorporated it over to Studio One v6, i'd love to check it out if you don't mind sharing again?

Btw, i'm pretty sure OP was using this template.

There's a stock plugin for that in Studio One called "Dual Pan" :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  20. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

The way i understand it, is that C Drums M is like the "summing mixer" that all the individual drum elements go into first. So in Studio One you could basically just turn all your drum elements (kick, snare, hats, cymbals, etc) into a folder, and then turn that folder into a bus, and it's basically the same thing. (but instead of using the fader for your input gain into the NLS chain, you would just have to use the input knob on a plugin at the start of the chain)

And then that C Drums M folder-bus gets routed out to another bus called C Drums which has 'RBass > Shadow Hills > Blackbox' on it.

And then that C Drums bus gets routed out to yet another bus called ALL DRUMS, and i'm guessing All Drums would include percussion as well and stuff like that.

21. Tim Russell

Tim Russell Newbie

Thank you for this post it really helped clear up some of the confusion I was also having. I was wondering if there was a way to create a master fader track, like in Pro Tools, on ableton as well?