Help, superior drummer 3 is super slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by reignerrr, Aug 3, 2024.

1. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

I didn't used sd3 for a while and now when i go for some preset it loads extremely slow, i don't know what happened but this used to load pretty fast because i have the library installed in an ssd

any ideas?

3. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

Just Superior? What if you load something huge in something else, like Kontakt, or Keyscape?

4. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

only in sd3 happens

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Is it an external (and if so, how is it connected?) or internal SSD? Are there more programs on this SSD (if so, do the other programs perform normally?) or is this the only library/program on this SSD?

6. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

internal, i have more libraries in there and loads fine,

7. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Do you have the latest Toontack SD v3.3.7 installed? Does every library load slow or only just some specific (larger ones)?
    Try to load 'smaller' libraries and see if this also poses a problem?

8. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

If you have room on another drive copy an S3 lib over to it and see if you get the same behaviour. Then we'll know if it's the drive or Superior being weird.

9. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

ez drummer 2 libraries load slower than in ez drummer 2 vsti, i just noticed that i have 3.0.1 version

i don't have room =(

10. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

updated to 3.3.7 and is the same

11. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Is it slow in the standalone version or in your DAW, or both?

12. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Have you got anything like avast etc running on your rig? Perhaps it's scanning the sample data loading into SD3.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

First check all regular issues with other content on the same drive. Go offline and see if there is any change. Check for settings in the plugin like "Share usage data". Did you add any new Toontrack plugins since you last used SD3? Then figure out if your problem is only caused when using certain libraries. Just try a few different ones.

Installing update versions over older problematic software installations will often not fix issues; when they are not a problem (bugs) with the actual old version of the program/plugin. The original installation of underlying content is not fixed, necessarily. The old application is just replaced.

I think you should consider a fresh install of SD3 at that point. Leave your libraries how you have them. After that, you have to consider the problem is possibly related to the SSD/Windows stuff.

14. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

fresh installed of sd3 an now is even slower:rofl:

now it shows the ''superior drummer 3'' legend at opening wich makes everything sluggish, takes like 4 minutes to load a libary, i'm considering uninstalling this and stick with ezdrummer 2

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

Bizarre... what kind of machine/os are you on? If it's a Windows system I would suggest trying a system restore going back to a point before the problem started and see what happens. If that works then one would imagine it's a software conflict with something that's updated since.

16. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

windows 10 x64, but i'm not messing with the system because of this, kontakt, ezdrummer 2, all vstis i have works fine, seems that superior drummer 3 is a complete crap

17. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

It's not S3's problem, no one else is dealing with this. It's a conflict on your system. :dunno: but if EZDrummer is working, I'd say there you go :wink:

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It seems weird that only SD3 is affected, which makes me think to check the drive for traces of fragmentation!

Woah a second.... How much of the drive have you left unused? When you go less than 20% you can expect problems, especially on larger sized drives!

19. reignerrr

reignerrr Ultrasonic

but it's an 2tb SSD...

20. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

Yes but how full is it?

21. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

It seems no one is asking the question so I will ask it. Is the machine/OS in question tied to a live internet connection 24/7?

The cracked versions of a lot of stuff does not necessarily mean that the "phone home" or self-update capabilities of warez are disabled. This goes hand in hand with winOS as well. Keeping a non-optimized winOS tied to a live internet connection allowing all those autonomous services to do their own bidding has reeked havoc on more than a single system. If your answer is yes to the first question above then it's highly probable that one, or two things have happened. Either the toontrack stuff tried to update and left some permanent remnant on that machine that has pooched the operation of SD3, or the winOS did an "update" that compromised something that SD3 needs to run correctly. Or, perhaps both happened semi-simultaneously within a short time frame.

It could possibly be data fragmentation, but highly unlikely for it to affect a single app so severely. It could be some useless autonomous service running in the background like a anti-virus or malware scanner as well, but again that would affect more than one app. The effects of either of those would be felt system wide. If there are other apps that use data on that drive and they run correctly then that rules out a SSD hardware (or cable or sata port) malfunction.

Conclusion;
    If it were me, I would permanently yank the internet connection from that machine. Then, completely uninstall all toontrack ware from it using a thorough uninstaller like REVO. Make certain you have REVO set to MAX SCAN and to SCAN ALL ACCOUNTS when looking for and removing leftover items. Once REVO has completed, run a file scanner like UltraSearch and scan the entire system (set it to scan the entire contents of files for the key words) for anything Toontrack or Superior Drummer related. Perma-Delete anything found. Run regedt32 and do a scan for all items "toontrack" and "Superior Drummer" and delete them all. Do a cold reboot (turn the machine off) and restart. Then do your re-install of SD3 first. Install and try a single library at first and see how it runs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024