help required please, how do i achieve this signal path switching?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Pronto, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

Hi, i've been using both bass (guitar) and electric guitar...i wish to be able to move from electric guitar to bass guitar without unplugging and plugging things in..
    what might i use and where in the signal path would i put it please?

my goals are to have a setup where i can use the entire signal chain i've got for guitar, into my amp/attenuator and two outputs (which i belnd) into my preamp/interface and then when i switch to bass, i can press a button or a couple and it only uses one of the fx in the guitar chain (with a different/speaker emulation output from that fx pedal) straight into my interface..(essentially switching out the fx before and after it and only using that one fx pedal but also that pedals' other output too)
    i'd like to do it with good value for money..DIY if i have to...and maintaining signal integrity without gournd loop/hum and all this possible stuff..
    as alluded to above - my interface has two 1/4" (6.35mm) mono jack inputs on the front..i'd like to use those two only....i had ago at using one of the rear panel XLR's with a DI box with the bass but i think where the pedal is effectively a preamp it didn't really like it..i could be wrong here/doing something wrong..but the whole thing seemed noisy and interference-like..even getting clicks and dropouts seemingly.
    here's a diagram of the signal path WITHOUT any switches...

signal path smaller.jpg

its those two inputs that might be a problem...afaik its line level essentially, from the attenuator outputs..i keep wondering if there's a way to do it with only one aby switch..but i think two is minimum since i have two separate instruments not being unplugged and replugged. would there be a way to view it as an fx loop..but then i'd be treating the signal path into the amp input as the other fx loop..can that be done..can it be done with ONE pedal? hope this makes sense..please ask for any clarification.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

1. If the 'fx pedal to be used by bass' has two in- and outputs and has a dual mono mode this should work without the need to switch anything here.
    2. Why do you use two interface inputs for guitar when the signal is mono?

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I think that you need 2 ABY to achieve that. If you're in Europe Thomann have this one which is good value for the money, it can do parralel too: Lead Foot ABY . 16,40 euros.
    https://www.thomann.de/es/lead_foot_aby.htm
    Battery is not necessary for operation, it's only for the lights.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

thankyou oly, yeah it formed at the corners of my mind that two were required not one..that one looks great thanks..thomann and gear4music are great.
    EDIT: so they can work with signal going either way...AB into Y and Y into AB?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

thanks Avenger, the pedal is one in two out (i say two but its not 1 and 2 but normal output ..as if it were going into another pedal in a chainand the emulated output..but i did just check and they CAN both be used at the same time...good question re: guitar signal....i think it my amp's bias structure..it DOES NOT get on with the attenuator at least on any kind of amp volume..i get this break up sound when i crank the amp and strum hard...and then have to wait for the signal to come back...i haven't got any speakers plugged into the amp recently i added one to see if i could bleed off impedance and be abel to up the amp volume which seems to have worked a bit..[...it was a compromise to get the proper atttneautr signal with the line signal (attenuator has two outputs) ..i keep them panned centrally most of the time and blend them in to one signal to try to get the best of both signals as they sound different to each other..if that makes sense..

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, this one does work either way.
    And in parallel too if you need it one day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List