HELP! Problem with Speakers

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Jakub, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

1) Which two USB ports? (it seems you mean on the back)
    If it is two on the back, that seems a real problem as those are part of the motherboard.

It almost sounds like a ground-loop problem, possibly not a problem with the laptop due to power via power block or something.
    Balanced cables may fix the issue but ground-loops can be tricky (IF that is what it is).

I used to have several TS cords with the ground shield cut at the output end to break ground loops.
    With all the equipment i had and the variety of ways and locations i used it, it was not something i could easily fix with "isolation boxes".

But... ground-loops tend to be a solid buzz, and you mention white noise ... it COULD be separate issues, or the ground loop might be a wrong idea...

Actually you can test the ground-loop question by using 2 TS cords and just testing one speaker

(One cord from the interface]----> <----[and one into the speaker)
    Then touch just the tips ...
    If you get audio that just means both units are referencing the same ground ...
    But if the sound is strong and clean, that points to a ground loop problem.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I had that with my rig, but I moved the USB mouse / keyboard dongle to another port on a hub that was away so there was nothing in the way and not had a dropout with them since. That might be worth trying to at least sort THAT problem. Also, if your machine is fairly new, you could be getting a lot of updates to the OS slowly filtering through Windows Update. Took about a week of using it at night before things settled down on my machine.

3. Jakub

Jakub Member

USB ports are from front, 3.0 are good, but 2.0 is disconnecting

About that test I dont know if I understand correctly, so i will connect both cables and will get like u said one cord from interface and one from speaker, play some sounds on pc, touch both tips and if i will hear audio its ok but if i get strong buzzing than its ground loop?

4. Jakub

Jakub Member

Yeah maybe that will resolve the problem with usb hubs.

5. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

From experience, they can be quite temperamental and subject to interference.

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well, i am not so sure your problem is a ground loop thing, but it is such an easy thing to do, and the results may be of interest.
    It is POSSIBLE that the result may be a good clue. If the audio has less hum, and maybe even less 'hiss'.

All equipment should be grounded through the outlets, and you should not even need the shield part of a cable to get audio.
    BUT.. a bare single wire would pick up all kinds of electrical noise, so audio cords have a braided outer shield (connected to the the 'sleeve' part of the plug). That shields the inner wire (the 'tip' of the plug) from all that electrical noise.

So, yes you should normally hear audio with just the tips touching.
    The audio may be kind of weak because there may be differences in the 'pathway' to ground.
    But .. if it has less hum or no hum, that means there is a ground loop issue.
    And it MIGHT also be passing other frequencies... (if it is true "hiss", that is not usually a thing about grounding, but if it is actually a very high-pitched whine, it COULD have to do with grounding).

Anyway, it is pretty easy to do as a test.

7. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Don’t forget what sound on sound always said, run it all from from a pair of double sockets, use extensions after that to remove ground hum.

8. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

Balanced cable is a must. also use the original USB cable that came with the Sound-card, it happened to me with my Scarlett 2i4 I bought longer USB cables and the noise issue started until I returned to the old cables.
    hope this helps.

9. Jakub

Jakub Member

Guys I just realised new thing... if i play some game, than from speakers is going strange sounds... if im not playing, it will get better... i can record and post that sound here...

10. Jakub

Jakub Member

WIll try to buy that balance cable, but usb cable is still original...

11. Jakub

Jakub Member

You can hear at the start strange soudnds and later it will stop cause i will exit the game, but you can still hear that white noise/buzz sounds or crackle sounds after I exit game

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  12. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Hmmm....some ideas

1.) Replace your TS cables with TRS cables

2.) Make sure you're not using an external USB hub

3.) Perform a BIOS update (if you haven't already)

4.) Change your Windows 10 Power Settings to Maximum Performance.

5.) When you plug your headphones into headphone input on interface what do you hear? Plug headphones into problematic TRS output just to see what you hear too.

6.) Permanently disable your motherboard's integrated sound device (Device Manager)

7.) (unrelated) For shitz n giggles, switch "Processor Scheduling" to "background services" :

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Set Processor Scheduling to "Background Services"

8.) Rule out GPU issues -> try running ur monitor off of the onboard graphics and see if that has an effect.

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

dude......that ain't no hiss.......that's a problem.

14. Jakub

Jakub Member

And what is that? Im sorry i got first time in my life issues with something like this...

15. Jakub

Jakub Member

And how can I fix it?

16. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Not sure. Keep experimenting and ruling out as many possibilities as you can. Everyone here is making pretty good suggestions.

17. Jakub

Jakub Member

Ok, i tried today a few, it looks that i must buy those balance audio cables...

18. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

USB ports :
    update motherboard BIOS first
    reinstall USB drivers

Some ports are linked to different chips

19. Jakub

Jakub Member

Definitely try it! Will let you know...

20. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

STOP!!!! Problems with hardware on New Built PC????. STOP..Contact the Builder Vendor ASAP
    They screwed the pooch on the build...Require they fix it make it right or completly return and
    start elseware. You Have a BUILDER problem...Make them fix it...then spend your time...cheking your NEW setup from there! Dont wats eanymore time here.