Help needed in Acoustic Room Treatment and setting up home-studio

Discussion in 'Studio' started by AviatOfficial, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Which will be the best room acoustically for the home-setup? [room dimensions below]

1. Room 1

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Room 2

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I strongly advise not only to look at room dimensions,
    but rather test what positions you have in mind and listen how far/close that takes for your requirements,
    before starting with acoustic treatment.

2. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

you can calculate the exact problematic frequencies with the measures, and upper resonances, modes
    but the traps are broad band, not parametric eqs
    of course in small rooms, you can notice by calculating, that you don t need any deep bass trap, or that 70Hz is too low, now Edgar Winer makes examples and projects using only Owens Cornill 703 fyberglass, I guess...
    he says that only using that specific density you can achieve the results he s promising
    I ve tried with different densities, even to go below 70 Hz, they cannot be measured but to my ears they do what they gotta do.
    So if you calculate the room resonances, ok, but know that you re looking for a broadband absorbsion by pannelling a room.

3. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

5. Absorbsion, the new record from the up and coming, new and exciting all girl lineup, BroadBand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. TK

TK Member

Keep in mind that you don't need to invest much in acoustic treatment if you're mainly into production. JBL LSR305 are a solid choice.
    There are quite a few good monitors that you can get at a tight budget. Adam F5, KRK Rokit 5, the JBLs, Focal Alpha 50. If mixing
    really is the way to go then you might wanna consider getting a new interface as well. The SPL Creon probably is your best choice
    here. Sounds a lot better than the praised and definitely good sounding Audient stuff.

7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

could not be more wrong in my opinion....!!!,
    I rather have set of good logitechs with a treated room than monitors without a treated room.
    especially when you are mainly in production

I don't think this because it has been told to me but have it from first hand experience,
    I used to mix at home on KRK V88 (with the double cones) and dynaudios bm6's side by side in a awful room (because I didn't know any better)

Now i mix on technics sb-c5 at home, which are not even monitors.
    but I bet you that if someone comes along with a little experience, that could do a better mix in the new situation.

I'm not saying not to get monitors, this obviously one of the next steps.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

treated room. reliable speakers. With all the respect with the opinions above, these are the basics. sorry.
    wait for other opinions, evaluate all the infos. read, don t be lazy, make yourself an idea of the matter.
    but always remember that an acoustic chamber comes maybe first in the list of priorities.
    if you follow Winer's project you re going to keep the traps for decades.

anyway, even a complete set of cardboard traps can make the difference, and some pyramidal foam.
    Fyberglass or rockwool, not so expensive. here from 30 € a pack of 6-7 panels (rockwool)
    each trap (240x60) needs 2 panels.
    cardboard, glue, tape, screws.
    pyramidal foam start from 10€.

ok I ve seen a lot of skeptical people (before they have to spend money)
    all of them fully satisfied after the room treatment.
    the Effect is immediate and clear, you immediately hear the lows reverberation issue solved, the ringings...
    anyway, evaluate these comments and begin to look for fyberglass dealers in your zone (fyberglass is 30% more effective than rockwool, same measures same panel, but better, here it s ok for industrial works only, by law, but I use it for acoustic chamber and insulation cause with smaller walls you get the same effect as bigger rockwool walls, and traps).
    find cardboard boxes. or buy them. start experimenting, if I may, that s the way.

@superliquidsunshine : you're a very very bad boy, but I am an underdog, and underdogs stay underneath, they don't accept provocations. They wait for the challenge.
    looool I want to see what you reply to this :hillbilly:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  9. TK

TK Member

Guess you got me wrong. I didn't say rather invest in good speakers. What I said was the JBLs are a solid option. Best speakers in a bad room and vice versa don't get you far. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

sorry, yes I got you wrong :beg:
    I ve read better now, thanks

11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Auralex website has free tools to help you even if you don't buy their products. Similar threads here several times, with all sorts of advice, some of it good, all well intentioned, I think.:winker::mates: You may want to look back through those.http://www.auralex.com/tools/roomanalysis/

12. martel80

martel80 Producer

By the way, I forgot to mention to stay away from foam insultation they sell everwhere ....this is a scam and those people should get executed and the bill sent to their family.
    Get yourself some proper rockwool and build your bass trap.
    Foam is ''cough-cough'' decent for Mid-High freq reflection but is a huge zero for anything past 200hz so absoluetly not eficient for bass resonance wich is the biggest issue in any room made of wood/gyprock / brick ( Brick is FAWKIN horrible with low ends....it boost the freakin low harmonic as it is resonating as Fawk)

Build yourself some bass trap with some sound proof owen cornings rockwool and fill the 4 corners from top to bottom and you'll hear a HUGE improvement in your monitors.

I'll build some new one in about a month, if you want i'll show you how with 1 pack of 16 sheet.

13. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

I see those products in online shops,,, they cost an eye... I agree, they shouldn t fool people like that
    I always tell this to friends but it s hard to be believed, when talking basstraps
    The effect is immediate, you would notice it for sure, I agree, I ve seen the faces of those who have built em or that I ve helped. Happy. That s it.

14. @Adamdog .. @superliquidsunshine : you're a very very bad boy, but I am an underdog, and underdogs stay underneath, they don't accept provocations. They wait for the challenge.
    looool I want to see what you reply to this :hillbilly:

I wouldn't dare provoke a childhood hero. What's not to love about Underdog? I hope you have the patience of a stone as you will be waiting for a rather long time!!!

15. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

image.jpeg You say so cause you don t know anything about Our future plans... Heroes have powers. They can even change shape.
    Eeer... A little of topic, sorry, say... Basstraps !

16. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

Helpful video which may fit with setting up in room 2. Set up at your scale and Bob's your uncle...

17. martel80

martel80 Producer

See, thats exactly what you should not do.

Here's an absoption coefficient graphic from the manufacturer itself and what they call '' BassTrap''.

[​IMG]

As you can see, this thing absorbs 10% ( or 0.1) of the freq at 125hz and 30% ( or 0.3) at 250hz

If you refer yourself to the spec I gave you in the first post , youll see that this is not a proper bass trap.
    This only help absorbs frequency at 500 hz and higher and those frequencies need to be reflected, not absorbed.