Help needed! Clicks in recording

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by serpentamsterdam, Oct 18, 2021.

1. serpentamsterdam

serpentamsterdam Newbie

Hello, ive lately been having clicks through my recording its very annoying and i dont know how to solve it.
    i am on a macbook and using Logic pro x

i recently renewd my interface (apollo twinx & nee apple thunderbolt cable). my mic to a tlm neuman with new xlr cables. And new headphones (DT 770)
    My macbook is a newer macbook pro.
    So it couldnt be my hardware.

The only things i can think of is ->
    Macbook update ruined my logic?
    Waves plugins outdated? Old versions?
    Some setting in my pc occuring this problem?

anyone can help me out?

Btw, the clicks i had already BEFORE renewing my whole studio setup!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2021
  3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Click and pops usually are either the audio interface's driver or the computer itself not being able to handle the low buffer.

if you have plugins enabled while recording try to disable them, or make sure not to use cpu hungry plugin when you're recording if there is no way around it.

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

1. Optimizing Mac OS X for DAWs

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206116964-Optimizing-Mac-OS-X-for-DAWs

This article provides useful instructions on how to optimize Mac OS X for digital audio workstations. The first part is focusing on general operating system maintenance. More specific trouble shooting tips can be found in the second part which is dealing with CPU and performance related issues.

1. General Mac OS X Maintenance

1.1 Repairing Permissions

Beginning with OS X El Capitan (10.11), file permissions are automatically protected. The following instructions on reparing permissions are necessary and possible in older Mac OS X versions including Yosemite (10.10) only.

This is a classic Mac OS X trouble shooting issue. You'll get very different advices when it comes to the Repair Permissions function of the Disk Utility in Mac OS X. Some people recommend to repair permissions on a regular basis, some do this even before and after every single installation. Others never repair permissions without running into problems. At least it is important to know that there is the possibility of repairing permissions in case you are experiencing troubles with your system and/or Cubase:

• Go to Applications/Utilities and start Disk Utility.
    • On the left side of the Disk Utility window select your system volume/partition.
    • On the right side make sure the First Aid tab is selected and then click on the Repair Disk Permissions button. (Of course you may click on Verify Disk Permissons at first. But as most of the time there are some permissions that need to be repaired you can save some time by skipping the verification and starting the repair at once.)
    Apple articles dealing with permissions:

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility
    Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

1.2 Running Maintenance Scripts

Mac OS X is a pretty carefree operating system. However, since some built-in maintenance scripts are scheduled to be executed in the middle of the night, some manual operation is necessary from time to time when your Mac is asleep at night. In Apple's words: "Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually."

Read more: Mac OS X: How to force background maintenance tasks

1.3 Updating Mac OS X

You don't have to be the first one to install and run a Mac OS X update that has just been released. But in general it is good to keep your system up to date. At least when you want to keep your applications and drivers up to date. If you are unsure if a specific Mac OS X or QuickTime update is recommendable simply do a search in our user forums. New OS updates are discussed there almost immediately after the release and you can assume that eventual problems will be reported very soon by less prudent resp. bolder users.

1.4 Optimizing Hard Disks

Before you think about optimizing your hard drive (because someone told you this is a very important thing to do) please read this Apple article:

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

2. Possible Causes of Unusually High CPU Load

The following information might be of help if the VST Performance Meter in one of our applications is showing an unusually high load or even drop-outs and peaks are visible and audible.

2.1 Latency/Buffer Setting

The "ASIO" part of the VST Performance Window (Devices menu) indicates how much resources are left to calculate the audio data and forward it to the audio driver in time. If the latency is very low (which is corresponding to a very small buffer size) time might be too short for proper signal processing. Depending on the system, the audio interface and the running project, it might make sense to increase the latency/buffer setting. Please refer to the manual of the corresponding audio interface for details.

Updating the audio driver might also improve the overall system performance and allow using latencies which weren't usable before. Generally, internal audio cards using the PCI or PCIe bus are able to provide lower latencies than external USB or Firewire based audio interfaces.

2.2 Processor Perfomance Setting

On some Macs it is possible to adjust the processor's performance in order to save battery power. Open the Energy Saver panel (Apple menu > System Preferences...) in order to make sure that your Mac is calculating at full throttle... If available on your system, you'll find the corresponding settings under Options/Optimization.

Also note that MacBooks and MacBooks Pro do reduce processor speed if the battery is not inserted in order to prevent a an overload of the A/C adaptor.

2.3 Multi/Multicore Processors

Multiple cores and/or processors need system resources to synchronize the cores. This can also lead to peaks, drop-outs and a generally higher basic load. For details, please refer to this article.

2.4 VST Bridge

The VST Bridge enables old PowerPC (G4/G5 processors) based plug-ins to run on Intel-based Macs. Please note that certain "VST bridged" plug-ins create high processor loads and can cause performance issues. In general, it is recommended to use current plug-in versions that run natively on Intel-based Macs, if available. Check the plug-in manufacturer's site for update if you experience performance troubles with a PowerPC plug-in. For further details, please refer to this article.

2.5 Apple Airport

Apple Airport (WLAN) can cause performance issues when running challenging realtime applications. Particularly when working on large projects with a high basic load, disabling Airport might tip the scales.

[​IMG]

2.) Please use the " Latency Moon " tool:
    https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

3.) Mac audio processing optimization tips
    https://support-native--instruments...sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=nui
    https://support-native--instruments...es/210296445-Mac-Optimierungs-Tipps-für-die-A

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

the only solution i found in these links is windows related, pretty sure he's on mac, plus i'm also pretty sure he searched uad forums as well without luck that's why he's here...

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I have changed it - thanks for your hint.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. serpentamsterdam

serpentamsterdam Newbie

Sorry for the late reaction. Didnt get any pop ups on my email.
    Thanks for all the responses.
    My apollo is not the issue because with the focusrite i used before i had the same issue.
    Its somewhere in my laptop
    Maybe he cant handle
    The plugins or something. That could
    Be an option!
    It also seem to get worse as i make
    More
    Track files
    Imma take a look at the files

8. serpentamsterdam

serpentamsterdam Newbie

Here pictures off. The most important settings

Attached Files:

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Please stop thinking "it can't be this". You need to rule out components one by one.

Examine your signal chain methodically.

Which Apollo do you have? Please be specific. MK2, Heritage, etc all have different USB connectivity and power supply options. Also, which cable are you using for the interface? This can matter, if say for example; the interface is expecting a 40gbs TB3 connection.

Also, please screenshot your "About this Mac" Overview tab. This is probably where your problem is, but you should just never skip things. it's a very easy way to make foolish newbie mistakes.

Rule out Logic settings entirely. Do you get this problem using another application? Try recording with Audacity or other wave editor. If it does the same thing, it is OS/settings, or hardware. If you do end up with the machine open, reseat the RAM. (remove and reinstall)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  10. Justus Hall

Justus Hall Member

Did you try a higher buffer size?

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Look at the latency. 19ms??! My Motu is 6ms,3ms output. My I/o Buffer size is 128. Process Buffer Range: Small.
    Recording delay = 0. Please uncheck Low Latency Mode in Logic for your testing purposes. You can re-enable it later. How much RAM is in this machine and what speed is it?

One thing worth a mention on MacOS with UAD, depending on your MacOS version; when you first install, you have to go click "allow" for it specifically in your security preferences. If you don't after the first reboot, there is a way to get it to give you another chance. I doubt this is the cause.

btw:

"The only things i can think of is ->
    Macbook update ruined my logic? No. Logic will not allow you to upgrade to a version of Logic which is incompatible with your OS version. Reinstall it if you want; it doesn't take long. Highly doubtful cause. (you would almost have to cause this on purpose)

Waves plugins outdated? Old versions? No. A bad plugin will either crash AU validation; or it will not work. It may even prevent Logic from loading. It won't do this, especially when not loaded into a project, and Logic still working.

Some setting in my pc occuring this problem?

the clicks i had already BEFORE renewing my whole studio setup!"

This alone should tell you everything you need to figure this out. A higher throughput Audio Interface is not going to solve your existing issue. It will expose or make it worse, if anything.

Since you just spent almost 1000$ on a new interface, and all this other new stuff; I would have given the machine a fresh OS install. Especially a UAD! Re-Install OS, Only the UAD drivers (skip Luna and do later if you want), then Logic/editor, then plugins would be best option anyway.
    It will make this so much easier for you to fix, and will help your machine be conflict-free later by starting fresh (with everything installed in the correct order)... but if you are behind on backups, I'd first reseat the chips instead. you wouldn't lose any data. Going to a UAD is not like getting a new mouse. Connecting one will certainly let you know of any cut corners with the machine. Wait till you get to that part, where it starts spinning up the fan and rebooting your MacBook. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021