Help! My PC is suddenly very, very ill.

Discussion in 'PC' started by nastybobby, Jun 20, 2017.

1. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Currently trying to work out the length of the warranty for the RAM. It's an 8GB stick of HyperX Fury DDR3 1866mhz, from my research so far it looks like it's a 3 year warranty. Seeing that it came from Amazon, may try and get them to send me a replacement as it's only 13 months old and if they won't then see what Kingston have got to say. Thanks for your help!

2. MrCrg

MrCrg Newbie

Maybe it's just me, but I have been led to believe by plenty of folk in the know that RAM shouldn't be added to: you should be purchasing all RAM at the same time, ensuring matchng batch numbers, speed, size, type, etc, not just thinking 'I need more RAM' and throwing another random stick into your machine. More RAM means replacing it all, but detracting is totally fine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right...

FWIW, I would've thought your original issues were with the mobo, but ho-hum, whatever.

3. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

I would suggest to go for Kingston Value Rams. I haven't had a single bad module over the last 10 years and we've bought a lot of them at the facility i worked at. And I've seen quite a lot damaged chips from other brands.
    Don't buy 'gamer modules' oder overclocking modules. It's practicly irrelevant benchmark-wise. They just die early.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Turns out that Kingston/HyperX offer lifetime warranty on their RAM products. So after a few short questions on Twitter, they are sending me a replacement in the post. Result!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Yes, and I would have originally have done this. I thought 8GB would have been ample, but a few projects came in that made it obvious the system wouldn't be running near the limit of its RAM usage if I added another stick of 8GB. As they were identical, I thought it wouldn't be problematic and it's all been working exceptionally smoothly, until yesterday.

6. Herbert Kotzwinkle

Herbert Kotzwinkle Newbie

Swapping PSU for first check is the way to go. Think about getting/lending a powersupply with a little more Watts, more than you actually need.