Help me to put CHORDS to my Midi Melody

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by Tim_ale, May 25, 2016.

1. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Wonderful, thank you very much.

2. foster911

foster911 Guest

I can speculatively say that 99% of people have problem with this.

Having simplistic view to this crux is another problem.

Also when the 4 or 5 note chords are being participated, this puzzle gets bigger and bigger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Me and Bob Dylan don't seem to be having too many problems :winker:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Because you're 1%. Do you remember the 99% movement in US but at the end you won.:(

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Also check out Pat Pattison's Berklee Songwriting course if you haven't already. He goes into great detail regarding stable and unstable lyric structures :wink:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/songwriting-lyrics/

PS click "audit" if you only want to follow the course.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Not really, I spent ages being bamboozled until the penny finally dropped! My eureka moment came when I discovered how transposition simplified the process. I realized that every melody I wrote in any key could always have the tonic on the C note and the dominant on the G note. Suddenly I didn't even have to think about it anymore, I could do it in my sleep :)

This is all you need to know initially ..

Melody......Harmony
    C - 1........ C Maj - (1,3,5) - I
    D - 2........ D Min - (2,4,6) - ii
    E - 3........ E Min - (3,5,7) - iii
    F - 4........ F Maj - (4,6,1) - IV
    G - 5........ G Maj - (5,7,2) - V
    A - 6........ A Min - (6,1,3) - vi
    B - 7........ B Dim - (7,2,4) - viiĀ°

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Yes. For the most part, cogent and useful information; with just a tiny fraction of unwarranted "slings and arrows".

8. Config

Config Kapellmeister

Well... AudioUtopia and/or R2R have a "cure" for iLok, and AutoTheory has already been requested on the sister site.
    Really hope it will appear there any soon... fingers crossed.

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

No magic comes by using the mentioned tools.

For example by knowing that the chords of E and C#m are the only common chords of B major and A major scales, we can simply use any of them as pivot chord to diatoniclly modulate between those two keys. Above tools will not help in this context or other ones. Just handy tools helping the user to recall what the names of the scales or chords notes are.

I doubt DAW or tools developers know music theory well. All of their effort is being summarized in finding the look-up tables for the chords and the scales without giving any information about how the music works. BTW, the true instrument players or composers with a good memory will not need those tools.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  10. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

You partially right sir, but there are also more jazz minded approaches to get from B major to A major in one bar to the next. I can think of a couple off the top of my head. Plus, the overused idea in pop is to just jump keys from a step away. For example, Easy by Lionel Richie, also a Whitney Houston song.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I use "tools" or techniques to generate ideas at the initial stage, even if it's just listening to other music or noodling on the guitar/keyboard. As it's an ongoing process, everything will be rewritten anyway, but that initial idea can from anywhere. You only need 2 or 3 notes to catch your attention or a chord change. I've also found some interesting chord progressions using software that I would never have found on my own. It's so easy to cycle through the different inversions and extensions, and to switch chords around on the fly :wink:

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

As you know music theory is much more than playing around with some different progressions. Without music theory we will just search the sweet progressions like pop musicians do. We must deglamorize the sweetness of progressions if we want to have progression in the music. Sweetness is a big obstacle because it always makes limits on the possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Well, I already know all the basic chord progressions, so I am just searching for something a little extra that exists outside of the six main triads I ii iii IV V vi, or perhaps a chord that is not even in the key :wink:

The chord progression is only a basic foundation, the colors are entirely up to you.

As an example, this old classic only uses two chords F and G ..

http://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/fleetwood-mac/dreams

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Not devaluing your work. Just my opinion about the progression.