Help me to put CHORDS to my Midi Melody

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by Tim_ale, May 25, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Be positive!
    When a question asked, other ones being formed automatically inside our brains too. The goal is learning. Behaving well or badly will be forgotten but the knowledge he and also we acquired will be remained in our heads forever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

muuuaac! YOU GOT IT !!

3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The clue to harmonizing a melody is in the melody notes :)

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yes that's the best way, but the question is how?
    Comparing the chords' notes with the melody?
    They're are lots of choices. Which one should be chosen? The nearest?
    Which is the nearest?
    If the nearest did not sound good what's the alternative way?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

What keyboard is that? Is that an Akai? Ableton?

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

CME Xkey 25 .. it's easily transposable and has polyphonic aftertouch too. It's not a performance keyboard, but for construction jobs it gets things done. The small size is also a bonus :wink:

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I would analyze the piece, and then consider the different chord options available with regard to the various chord and non-chord note combinations in each measure, keeping in mind the overall feeling.

Something like this :winker:

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. ned944

ned944 Moderator

Lots of Good Advice and Very Good behavior in this thread I'm glad and truly appreciative of this!! Well done my friends!

9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

If you take the tonic the subdominant is 4th and dominant is the 5th. Many songs are written this way. Take "Oh susanna" and let's say you play it in C "I come from Alabama..." -tonic (C) "...knee" -dominant (G) "...Louisi-ana" -subdominant (F) ...and so on.

This is important if you want to ex. modulate (change to another key). Because even though Oh Susanna makes use of C, G and F it is still in the key of C major... and that never changes. If you want to change the key (scale) you usually search for "common" chord. So because dominant in C (G)-5th is the same chord as subdominant in D (G)-4th you can use that to get up one tone.

In pop music people rarely modulate (in the right manner) or they do by pressing "transpose" on the keyboard, which would be terribly wrong for Mozart but it's ok today since ..well there is no right or wrong in the modern music (eg. you can pour water in a Stainway bash it with a hammer and call that art)

BTW why am I getting dislikes from you - just curious so I can reflect on that.. if you just like to dislike than ok :wink:

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Also, G is the dominant of C and C is the subdominant of G. Likewise, F is the subdominant of C and C is the dominant of F :invision:

11. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

it can be done if the melodic counterpoint is solid.!.

12. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

yea

13. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Feel free to print this out and put it in a place so you can see it daily (Rick is clearly referring to mixing but the same thing applies to composition, arrangement and pretty much every aspect consisting in making a choice when making a song):

"The fact is your mixes usually sound shit because you are acting like a pussy. You constantly sit there, second guessing all your decisions and that's what's making the biggest difference to your mixing skills. The difference between an amateur and a professional mix extends beyond being able to hear frequencies. It spreads into having faith in yourself, in your skills and your abilities." - Rick Snoman

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

tonica is a powerful composition aid as it will harmonize your melodies.

It comes with three basic styles:
    1- The Baroque style of JS Bach (there are two variations on this).
    2- The Romantic style of Max Reger.
    3- The Jazz style.

All you need to do is import 10 to 20 MIDI scores which represent a composer’s style. tonica reads these examples and uses a sophisticated neural network program to learn what rules are required to reproduce the composer’s harmony styles.

Just wanted to say that rules-based harmonization is one of the perplexing concepts in the music theory that can not be done well by just simple calculations.

And also @Zenarcist Thanks for the Vid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  15. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

"If you take the tonic the subdominant is 4th and dominant is the 5th."

OK, this was my assumption. So, anybody could describe why they are called dominant?

I disliked the music, sorry. Never mind, I will answer with Michael "I love you all".:hug:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

I'm a slightly old lady now and a bit forgetful.

All this seems to have a vast amount of mathematical implications and counting-related stuff.

Question: What is the easiest formula to derive chords from melodies, if someone already understands the concept of I-VII-progressions and knows stable and unstable notes? Perhaps with less and low numbers.

Edit/Answer: Probably the video suggested by Zenarcist.

17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Avicii had tons of luck this is sort of what happen to him..
    He had posted some of his music on a Swedish forum and noone seems to care or take notice of it but ONE (the very same person that started? or was involved in spotify) person with awesome talent for marketing did like Avicii,s stuff.
    he liked it so much that he contacted Avicii and said to him continue to do your music i make sure it will be played on radio and i gonna make a star out of you..

18. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

I think instead of telling OP to basically "gtfo and quit" maybe you should help him. Would take less energy and effort. Noone was born knowledgeable. Perhaps he just needed some chords to a melody quickly and perhaps he indeed sucks in music theory. Perhaps the same dude, will think of a melody or riff, or an idea one day that your 20 years of music theory experience could never give you because you are too busy waiting for an opportunity to boost your ego by dissing a dude trying to learn. I've seen this happen.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I've already said it lots of times on here, but have a look at the Hooktheory website. Set it to play in piano mode, and if you move the your mouse over the chords as it plays you will see the chord notes highlighted along with the melody. You can also use pause to take a closer look. You will then see the stable/unstable principle in action. Learn from the masters :wink:

Here is a simple I - IV - V progression. Notice how the V chords use all non-chord tones to emphasize Dylan's snarling vocal delivery.

https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/bob-dylan/like-a-rolling-stone

Incidentally, this song was voted the greatest record of all time by Rolling Stone Magazine

20. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

with how much venom is online i cant belive death metal isnt more popular

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List