Help me to put CHORDS to my Midi Melody

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by Tim_ale, May 25, 2016.

1. Config

Config Kapellmeister

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  2. Impressive

Impressive Guest

It is very simple to get the hang of. But he's gotta learn somewhere. I'll admit, I once had the same trouble OP was having. But I taught myself music theory.
    I've been playing guitar and keyboard/piano 9 years, drums 8 years, bass 7 years, harmonica for 4, exotic/misc percussion 10 years, and then some. Was it easy? Hell no. But I started somewhere. But I'm relatively young (just turned 23 exactly a week ago), so these numbers are rather average for a musician my age. Lol

3. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Also, try http://pianochord.com

This once helped out a friend of mine quite a bit. This was his learning source. Honestly, he's catching up to me. Lol

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I was thinking to add something about transposing the keyboard, but I won't waste any time, except to say that when C is always the Tonic and G is always the Dominant it is much easier to harmonize a melody if you are not very proficient on the keyboard! :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

6. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

I'm a beginner- just started with theory lessons. Please explain in short when C is always tonic and G is always dominant.

7. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Ill just leave this here also fun fact B.B. King couldn't play chords

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

If you transpose, I & V are always in the same position no matter what key you are in. I am in the same predicament as you, I would love to be a maestro on the keyboard, but transposing gets the job done - you only have to memorize chords, extensions and inversions for the Key of C. It also helps when composing melodies .. C (I) is Home, G (V) is where you are going :)

E.g. In the Key of G

C => G = (1) Tonic
    D => A = (2)
    E => B = (3)
    F => C = (4)
    G => D = (5) Dominant
    A => E = (6)
    B => F# = (7)

Check out https://www.hooktheory.com/ for more on thinking in relative terms.

9. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Nice try, but I think I need some more video lessons, never mind. :disco:

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's just a bit of a shortcut really, you only learn one key instead of all 12 :) Of course it's no substitution for real keyboards skills, but I am only using it as a stopgap until I can find the time to master the rest the of keys :wink:

The main thing is I'm not held back when composing or playing in any key, which is a huge bonus for me at this point in time :headbang: :keys:

When people start leaning to play the piano, it's usually in the Key of C anyway, so it's just a technique that will give you access to all of the keys before you set about learning how to play them .. which can take a long time :disco:

11. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Yes, that's the only thing I got. :wink:

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Transposing the key is simply a matter of flicking a switch on your keyboard, only you continue playing the notes as if you were still in the Key of C. The Tonic and the Dominant never move from their C and G position, no matter what key you are in.

In will all make more sense once you learn a bit of music theory, and start playing on the white notes (Key of C) :wink:

i.e. think of the C major chords C Dm Em F G Am as being I ii iii IV V vi, so I=C, ii=Dm, iii=Em, IV=F, V=G, vi=Am, then if you transpose the key you are mentally plugging in different chord values, therefore in the Key of A, I=A, ii=Bm, iii=C#m, IV=D, V=E, vi=F#m.

Fundamentally it is thinking about music in the relative terms of I ii iii IV V vi. I is the Tonic and V is the Dominant, and music is greatly influenced by these two, so you should always be aware of their position in your compositions.

13. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

:dont::snuffy::dont::snuffy:
    Well, Tsargoth, I guess you were born having a clue about everything. The point of wiriting in this forum is helping others, remember?!?! Not being a smart a*se.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Who are you and how dare you write such a comment?

15. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Ah ok 'I is the Tonic and V is the Dominant' makes it somehow more plausible for me and reminds me to something.
    Till now V was only a turning point in the progression for me, still can't find why it is so 'sado maso dominant'. Maybe because of its 'turning back character' regarding to progressions.

Just watching again the lesson: 'How Melody Effects Your Chord Choices and Paints Your Songs'

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

This is in need of some pixie dust LOL :rofl:

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I don't even think about chord and note names, just their relative positions. They are interchangeable, so you can go either way.

This is how I view the keyboard

C = 1
    C# = b2
    D = 2
    D# = b3
    E = 3
    F = 4
    F# = b5
    G = 5
    G# = b6
    A = 6
    A# = b7
    B = 7
    C = 1

So when using transposition, every major Tonic chord would be (1,3,5) etc. It turns the task of writing melodies and harmonies into a fairly simple process for those lacking serious keyboards skills.

18. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Sounds good. But I personally don't play much manually. I' m building a 'harp-arp-routing' and try to have as much as possible programmatic approaches according to the theory. I should look at the keyboard, I know- but it's to big for my little desk at the moment.

The relation of stable and unstable notes regarding to progressions and melodies seems to be quite interesting too.

Maybe someone could describe the difference between subdominants and dominants.
    And generally why dominants are dominating us.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The major advantage of using a keyboard as an input device is access to the third dimension of music .. natural rhythm :winker:

Regarding size, this is my most used keyboard, and default melody finding tool ..

[​IMG]

PS stable and unstable notes, a.k.a chord and non-chord tones are most useful :wink: :)

20. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

... got to get this off my chest;
    First off to the OP, don't let any of the negativity here get to you. Good for you writing a melody for your friend and for asking the AS comunity to chip in with some chords... and thumbs up for @Impressive for helping the OP out.
    Before I joined this forum I watched it for years and have always been amazed by some of the sheer and blatant 'mean-ness' of some people towards newbies and people starting out. I'm not talking about the regular trolls on here, I'm talking about the rightout and intentional mean sob's. Real easy to put someone down for no reason from behind a computer on a forum, intentionaly. For the soul purpose of putting someone down and getting off on it. Venting some unresolvable frustration and gloating in your narcisism. Un-f***ng-believable. I'm sure this point has been made many times here, but aparently not enough. I'm all for being able to say and critisize anyone in any way you like. But intentionally pissing on someone like that is low. And it is order of the day here. I'm on quite a few audio forums but here it really shines. We are here to discuss music, technology and have some fun. To help out others where we can, support the newcomers and underscoring their motivation to want to embarque on the musical journey. Not to brake their stride and well intended questions with this kind of degenerate, completely intentional and totally unnecessary hostility.

Peace.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List