Help me select a midi Keyboard I won't regret in 2018

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Ted Smithton, Jan 16, 2018.

?

Which MIDI Keyboard is superior

1. Akai Professional MPK261

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Akai Advance 61 Keyboard

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Roland A-800PRO

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I had to "tweak" the pads on it, too. It's its only little niggle, though. What were they thinking leaving so much space between the pads and the sensor...? Now it feels like some of those venerable MPCs. :wink:

2. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

You probably shoudn't sit on it?? ;-)

A little anecdote:
    I replaced a Roland S50 (which I used since the late 80ies for almost 30 years) with the Novation SL49 MkII.
    10 years ago or so I bought another (used) S50, just in case mine got broke (which it didn't) and I got also the sellers D50 as an extra. So reading about D50s nice keybed I'd like to say the S50 has a much nicer keybed and so is the style (of course to me) and now I regret I got rid of those 3 Roland's (I should have kept at the least my original S50). But the Novation is more handy and so it's ok..I guess..

3. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

help me build the life-support system for my dying mother, such that if she dies it will be 95% your fault that it all came to an end, the hopelessness and dread, the futility and for none of us its worth living anymore .

4. electriclash

electriclash Guest

dark.. weird and dark

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Pronto, do I sense sarcasm there, or what?

6. electriclash

electriclash Guest

yeah but... thats soooo dark
    hahhah

7. electriclash

electriclash Guest

dude. just take apart some of your shit. ta-da. you're an engineer

ahhhahahaha true story lol

8. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Has anyone noticed the MPK2 keyboards have a design inspired by the JUNO 60 ?

9. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Akai-Pro-MPK-261-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller-Knobs-Sliders.jpg Roland-Juno60-03.jpg

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Only Akai sliders are much bigger. Well, about double the size of Juno's. At least on my MPD32 they are. I was surprised when I bought it. They are really sturdy and so easy to use precisely.

11. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Used to trust M-Audio. Not anymore. Tried two lines (can't remember the name of the first one, the second one was an Axiom Air 61). Both ended up giving me trouble with one thing or another. Novation is a whole different matter altogether. I have an X-Station (which doubles up as a synth and a MIDI controller - it can even work as a USB audio interface) and an Impulse 61. The keys feel quite nice to the touch. X-Station's are much better, but I do not like the pitchbend/modulation stick which automatically springs back to zero when you release it. It features a nice x/y touchpad which sends two MIDI #CC's. It also has some sliders and knobs, but no "drum" pads. Channel aftertouch in the keys, too. I know it's an old model and probably it has been discontinued, but the X-Station keeps working for me.
    Impulse 61 has standard pitchbend and modulation wheels. 9 sliders, 8 knobs and 8 "drum" pads. Channel aftertouch. I think it's a nice option for its price. As I've said before, the keys feel a bit light to the touch, but that's a common issue in most MIDI controller keyboards. Had it for a couple of years or so, and it hasn't given me any kind of trouble so far.

Hope I may have been of some help. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Axiom Air is probably the most idiotic controller ever conceived. By default the knobs are completely useless and it takes like five presses to change the velocity curve (press edit button, move your hand to press key curve key, move your hand up to press enter button, move your hand to select the curve with a key, then move your hand to press the enter key again.)

The sliders are noisy and feel super cheap, the drum pads are some of the most unresponsive I've ever tried. My fingers hurt just thinking about those drum pads.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I would choose the MPK261 . If the ROLAND A800 had been usb class-compliant, I would choose that over the MPK261.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. statik

statik Audiosexual

just get a melodica

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

That's how it went down for me. The build is pretty damn decent for the price imo. I've had no problems so far, going on 8 months of everyday use.

After a disappointing few store visits I was about get the credit card out and buy something I shouldn't and then I saw that MPK261 online, watched a few reassuring vids on youtube about it, found an open box/floor model on ebay for $400, the pictures looked good so I bought it and to my surprise it came in the original double box with everything in it like new, perfect condition. Not a finger smudge to be found. Like no one ever touched it. Anyways, i'm happy with it. Any other option, for me, would be double the price, and then some. Plus I would have got Akai pads anyways in addition.

16. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Yeah Man it is a killer keyboard, made in Taiwan, solid as a rock, absolutely beautiful.
    I am soooooooooo So fuckin' glad I dont have the Kontrol by mistake :rofl:

17. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Yeah and probably better quality than that overhyped and over valued keyboard the Juno60 ! :winker: