Help me find a USB soundcard with a coaxial (and possibly S/PDIF) IN

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Xeraser, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Basically, I already have an interface but it doesn't have either of those inputs. The one I really need is coaxial but S/PDIF would be really useful for when I buy a Motif and Motif ES. All I need is a tiny USB box with (preferably) both inputs on one end and the USB plug on the other. Nothing fancier than that, no extra features or anything. SURELY something like this exists and isn't nearly as expensive as a new interface, right?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

most of the ones I am finding are the reverse. usb to spdif out. is this for a laptop? cards are easier to find and definitely cheaper. best performance anyway but that doesn't sound like a concern yet. when I say easier to find, I mean via search results. not the actual item
    I have always had digital in on a card to motherboard. it's already data.

forgive me if this is now wrong, but I think you would encounter possible sync errors like this.
    the connection has to digitally lock between the two devices, and your clock is linked to it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  4. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

It's for a MBP, yes. I do all my music production tasks there.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

1.) Maybe your computer has an onboard S/PDIF connector, which you don't use...

Check if your Macbook already has SPDIF inputs. They are built into some models. However, then only as optical inputs. Then you would only need a coax-to-optical converter (there are many) + an adapter to connect the optical cable: middledelock-Toslink-mini (see the Picture)

or www.amazon.de/EMK-Nylonummantelung-Standard-Toslink-Stecker-Mini-Toslink-Stecker-Adapter-Konverter/dp/B08KG6Z82J

2.) Because you want to convert the TOSLINK input to a USB output, which is then input to your DAC.
    The converter is required to act as a USB host for your DAC to work.

Audient iD14 MKII - S/PDIF input (TOSLINK)
    https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id14/overview/

Attached Files:

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

yes, but that is an entire interface. which is what he sounds like he is trying to avoid, in the first post.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @clone, I know, but there is no other way, either he has a SPDIF/Toslink interface/connector on his laptop or
    he has to convert the signal from his synthesizer so that the PC/laptop can play it.

That means the signal from the synthesizer is analog and has to be converted to digital. @Xeraser has a wrong idea how this works.

Attached Files:

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I get it, but for some people that option then turns into a replacement interface, not just a little added thing. that depends.

A little project to avoid a console or using a smart card can get pretty expensive compared to the 50 bucks it should really cost. If it was not a laptop, a card is like 10-20$.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You have connected your Rack over USB to the computer, so it could only exchange MIDI data not audio. You should also connect main audio outputs to your audio interface or via SPDIF output if your interface has such input (that’s better since you will transmit digital audio signal without conversion).

Optical cables: classics in audio
    TOSLINK is a widely used method for transmitting digital audio data by means of light pulses. The name is a combination of the company name "Toshiba" and "Link". The Japanese electronics company developed the optical transmission method back in the early 1980s. Since then, it has become established across all manufacturers. A fiber optic cable transmits pulses that are processed in the receiver device as a binary code. A light pulse corresponds to a 1, no light pulse to a 0.
    TOSLINK connections are found on receivers, amplifiers, televisions, CD players and computers, among other things. A TOSLINK cable is used in optical transmission processes, hence the name "optical cable". The connector type used in the audio sector is also named with the cipher F05.

TOSLINK cables in practice
    In practice, TOSLINK cables work simply and reliably. The rectangular end of the cable is simply plugged into the corresponding socket. The great advantage of the standard is its low susceptibility to interference. Faulty grounding and resulting hum loops as with jack cables, for example, cannot occur. In addition to the standard version of the plugs, there are also so-called TOSLINK miniplugs. At first glance, these look like 3.5 mm jack plugs. However, a jack socket that can process the optical digital signal is required. Especially in laptops, jack inputs and mini TOSLINK are sometimes combined in one jack. With adapters, it is possible to connect a standard plug to a mini TOSLINK input.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

yep. Translator broken. Happy Rabbit Hunting Day. :crazy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Macbook's optical output is just that - an output. It's not an input.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

well, what interface do you have now?

14. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

I have an Onyx 2.2
    To be honest, I'm quite retarded and either I can't figure out how to properly record with it or mine is busted as overloading the inputs seems to be way too easy. I pretty much never record with it anymore and it only does basic interface duty + MIDI IN/OUT + headphones out (admittedly it's the only thing that can drive my A900X and Moondrop Starfields aside from my old iPod)

I'm considering getting rid of it but I never have any luck with selling used gear so I might as well stick with it. I need a coax in as the Fantom-XR apparently sounds a lot better through the digital out. Not surprised, it's Roland after all. Already got the Motif XF sorted out (firewire) and I'm using its A/D inputs to record both the Fantom-XR and the JV-1080

Just wishing i could record the Fantom digitally instead, hence the need for a simple usb soundcard

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I'm using RME ADI-2 DAC for that exactly,
    definitely not cheap though, and actually overpriced at full price,

so, I suggest checking some USB DACs rather than audio interfaces then?
    or, something like RME Fireface UC if bought used, can fit that I/O needs
    :chilling:

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

O.K.!

What is the exact full name of your two motifs ?

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

it depends on how much other I/o you need. all of it, in total. midi? etc...

so you want 1x1 midi, 1x1 coax, and 1x1 optical. and then whatever analog I/o. This is where your 50$ idea turns into 200$ for 1x1 analog I/o. Or something of that ilk.

have you tried search for regular old Digital Coaxial to Optical Converter. ? If sync is not an issue. maybe something cheap like that will work? Might explode or something fun.

18. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Yep, wanted to avoid another interface.. even the fireface is 600€ used.

19. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Don't need any other I/O really. Literally just a coax and ideally a s/pdif IN. I got everything else sorted.

JV-1080 into Motif XF, MIDI handled by either the XF, my interface or a roland UM-ONE
    Motif XF to macbook via firewire (midi, audio), into Fantom-XR via coaxial to use some of its effects (XS/XF lost a lot of niche effects during the ES > XS transition)
    Fantom-XR to Motif (TEMPORARILY), ideally to the macbook via interface/soundcard, MIDI via any of the ones I already mentioned

Again, ideally I'd connect the Fantom to a digital out. Both the XR and the XV seem to have really bad analog outs.

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

How much money could you spend then ?

Tascam US-144 MKII USB Audio/MIDI Interface - US $54 / EUR 51,03

Audient iD14 MKII - S/PDIF input (TOSLINK) https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id14/overview/
    Used: www.ebay.de/p/1041327201

Attached Files:

21. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Was hoping around 50 bucks. Interfaces that convert the PC output *TO* coaxial/spdif can cost as low as 15 bucks and the more premium-looking one I could find on Amazon costs 60 bucks, why isn't there something that does the opposite?