Help me find a kontakt library: Characteristic strings that AREN'T orchestral/cinematic

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Barncore, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I find that a lot of the string libraries are too far into the cinematic/orchestral side of things, but i'm looking for something that's a little more humble. I don't want that big epic concert violin sound, i'm looking for something that's more dry, imperfect, characteristic, recorded in a room instead of a hall, something you might hear in an indie folk song rather than a film score, be it violin or cello or whatever else. Anyone got any leads? Cheers!

3. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

You are looking for realistic strings regardless, they are miracles in the first place so be thankful for anything you can get your hands on. I would go with something like Tokyo Scoring Strings or EastWest Hollywood Diamond with the close mids.
    Just go for the most realistic library if you want realistic strings, you don't need to add extra filters like non-epic or cinematic or whatever, just pick one thats realistic and dry.

If you are still skeptical, think of this: It would be way harder to find libraries with deliberately fake sounding sampled strings.
    Output Analog Strings and Heaviocity Novo would be the only ones that come to my mind.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

I would recommend Tina guo or Chris hein.
    Both libraries are top and can sound very dry

5. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I like spitfire viola library.. it's got that grungy single string sound

6. NiloFranck

NiloFranck Newbie

You're probably looking for a smaller string ensemble, like a quartet/quintet or chamber string orchestra. If you want out-of-the-box playability I can really recommend Albion Solstice, it's got that folksy imperfect sound you're probably looking for. Otherwise, look into the Sacconi quartet and Spitfire solo strings
    Also definitely check out the libraries by Best Service such as Era II. Those feature more medieval/folk instruments, including baroque and medieval string instruments. Do note that those libraries are made for ENGINE instead of Kontakt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This exacty. Search for small/quartet/chamber strings.

8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

8dio Intimate Strings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

The Best Service emotional strings series are really good for solo instruments. For string sessions I would recommend Session Strings 2 Pro by Native Instruments, they sound way less cinematic than most string libraries out there. And as an honorable mention I recommend taking a look at The Fiddle by indiginus, it has a specific character and may not fit an all around purpose, but for it's size I think it sound really cool and worth a try.

EDIT. The strings from Cremona Quartet by Native Instruments seem to sound great as well, but due to it's size I haven't tried them myself. In any case the demo previews sound really good if you're into solo instruments.

10. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

+1 for Session Strings.
    Also check out Cinematic : Stradivari (violin & cello). Don't be put off by the name, it sounds very intimate.

11. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Went on a download rampage and this is what i decided on, if anyone's interested:

-8dio Intimate Strings
    -Westwood Violin Untamed (need v2 though)
    -Cremona Quartet
    -Have Audio Nordic Cello
    -and Aaron Venture Infinite Woodwind + Infinite Brass for added options

Thanks for the recommendations everyone

12. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Oh, also LASS can work both as large ensembles or small, with divisi. It's my main go to. Pretty big, though.

13. lucymilan01

lucymilan01 Member

If you're after a more intimate and natural string sound for indie folk, consider Spitfire Audio's "Alternative Solo Strings," Embertone's "Joshua Bell Violin," Chris Hein's "Solo Strings Complete," or Performance Samples' "Caspian." These libraries offer nuanced, authentic performances perfect for folk music.

• List