Help me choose New Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by geraldthegenius, Apr 18, 2014.

1. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

Alright there are tons of boxes I can get right now. So many I cant choose! All fairly cheap. Here's the list...

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
    M-Audio FireWire 1814 or M-Audio Firewire 410
    Presonus FireStudio/Firebox or M-AUDIO FIREWIRE 410
    M AUDIO DELTA SERIES OMNI
    Avid Mbox 3 Mini

I'm custom to the Focusrite cards so I am leaning towards the Saffire but at the same time I wouldn't mind trying something new. I also heard the Steinberg UR22 is good. I didnt even know they made audio interfaces (and that may be all the more reason not to buy one). I also heard the M-Audio Firewire interfaces can be janky with silent disconnects and whatnot. So what do you guys think? Feel free to drop more knowledge on other audio interfaces. My budget is around 150-200 usd new or used.

3. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Not Presonus, their drivers are crap for windows, at least for USB and they don't seem to take much interest in supporting or updating them. Just my 2 cents. I bought an audio box 44vsl and have regretted it ever since. My new Scarlett 18i20 should be arriving next week :thumbsup: the two I've heard the best things about are RME and Focusrite. Happy hunting!

4. axelfender

axelfender Member

i can fairly recommend the steinberg ur22;you can't go wrong with the yamaha design!!!

5. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

If you can spend a little bit more I would recommend the RME interfaces. They have the cleanest sound and awesome driver support.

6. Lao

Lao Newbie

hi there

Last week I bought steinberg ur22 and im very happy with that. First I want to buy me an audio interface from presonus or focusrite but I didnt I change my mind and get Steinberg.

7. remix

remix Platinum Record

Get the focusrite...

8. tgunz

tgunz Newbie

I'm with remix just got a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp and it's a million times better than the mbox2 it replaced

9. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I'm happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 but if you have the cash, you can't go wrong with RME.

10. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

You can pick up older fw motu 828's for about an 1/8th of their original price (ie the £800 1 i have i could now buy for £100)

Does the job, good build/clean sound. 8in/8outs + 2 mic/1 phone. xlr.

11. geraldthegenius

Thanks for the feed back my dudes! Looks like the Focusrite boxes rain supreme. I am kinda curious about that Stienberg UR22. I want to test one out but I cant find anywhere around here that sales the damn things. I WISH I had enough money to cop a that RME BABYFACE. And is it just me or is that damn Apollo Twin being promoted everywhere!??? I cant even look at those ads without wanting to rip one right out the screen smh. Thanks again folks. Looks like I may just cop that Saffire...unless I find a free RME BABYACE laying out in the middle of the street in perfect condition or sumin.

12. geraldthegenius

100 eur, really? I wonder if the motu pre amps are better than focusrites? I can't imagine they are that much better. Never the less if I had a chance to cop this 828 for 100 eur you speak of I might be inclined to buy it.

13. bimba

bimba Newbie

how true that is! i recommend the ucx.

14. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i would not go with a interface any less firewire But USB-3 is Faster then Firewire now and Firewire is almost out dated now Thunderbolt is even Faster

the 3 Best ( Thunderbolt )

( Ethernet )

( USB-3 )