Help : MacBook Pro - El Capitan doesn't save audio preferences!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Dumb, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

What up everybody!
    I have a problem with my MacBook Pro and Osx El Capitan..after updating with the latest update of the Osx (10.11.6) my MacBook can't save audio preferences..in other words..every time i start my MacBook i have to select manually my sound card in the audio preferences panel..because the system doesn't save it...
    I have also reset the Pram and the Smc but it didn't solve this stupid and nasty issue...
    Any suggestion to solve this problem will be much appreciated :wink:
    Thank's in advance for your attention!

3. Rhythmattic

Rhythmattic Member

First thing I always do is boot into safe Mode.... (Hold Shift when powering up) , as OSx boots up without any 3rd party extensions...
    Then shut down and reboot... Whys it works when things go weird sometimes?
    I don't really know, but it has sorted out issues for me in the past....

Another option is to run Onyx... Free software that will run all the housekeeping UNIX scripts that would generally run if your computer was on 24/7.
    However, I suggest you read about what the options do before choosing a particular option..
    For example , Deleting User caches means logic will re-scan all the plug ins installed, as if it was booted the first time...
    http://www.titanium.free.fr

With these approaches , you can generally fix any of OSx's "why the Fk" issues.

4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Seen that before, usually some preference files (.plist) still contain old data. So trash the files below, they will be automatically rebuild when rebooting..
    1. Open Finder and in the "Go" menu, select "Go to Folder..."
    2. Type ~/Library/Preferences and click Go (where ~ is your home directory)
    3. Locate two files called com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist and move them both to the trash
    4. Reboot your computer

5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I have the perfect solution:
    1. Take a hammer
    2. Smash your mac (for increased effect, scream some tribal war cries or loud jungle chants when you do this)
    3. Apply cow manure
    4. Leave it on your ex girlfriend's doorstep
    5. Set ablaze
    6. Enjoy.

Joking aside, boomoperator's advice should help. If it does not, then maybe my (less mature) solution isn't so much a joke after all. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Tried reboot like you said but it didn't fixed the issue..did the same with Onyx and Maintenance softwares but still having this f...ing problem!
    Thank's for your attention :wink:

7. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

I have deleted com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.audio.AudioMidiSetup.plist but that didn't solve the problem..i realized that after deleting those preferences.plist files and after reboot the com.AudioMidiSetup.plist is missing...
    I really don't know what else to try...i am getting very pissed off by this situation :snuffy:
    Thank's for your attention and support!:wink:

8. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

That's probably the best thing to do my friend..my exgirlfriend really deserves that!:rofl:

9. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

I finally solved this stupid issue!!!
    Sometimes the most easy thing to do is the most efficient!
    I used BatChmod to change the privileges for the Preferences folder i reboot and BAM!The system saved my sound card as default audio output and input :wink:
    Thank you everybody for your attention and support!
    I am so f...ing glad to be part of this amazing community..you guys rock!!!
    Have a nice and productive (in terms of music production) weekend :)
    Keep banging
    Peace

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Rhythmattic

Rhythmattic Member

Interestingly, I thought Onyx's permission repair (something thrown away by apple in Elcapitan as supposedly its a automatic feature) would of fixed this...
    Still, Onyx is a great app.. , allows some modifying/options of the OS only available from terminal...
    Great for when you want to show hidden files amongst other things.

Good to know you sorted it out in the end. :wink:

11. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Onyx is great! I always do a Permissions Repair via Onyx on El Capitan (as well as most of the other cleaning and maintenance routines on there) before a big defrag. I also run a few routines via TechTools Pro 8, like a file defrag and rebuilding the directory.