HELP: Im trying to read a Spectrum analyzer...

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ELJUNTADERO2022, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I use cubases channel spectrum analyzer for a/b and for different elements separation, don't know how accurate it is, but ears do the rest

2. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

But now to get back to what you want to do:
    To analyze other mixes a spectral courve is not the most showing way to do it.
    In the eighties there was no other way than to have a look at the third octave band analyzer.
    If it was flat you knew you had to much treble in there. If it was a nice ramp down it was just right.
    Today there are better ways.
    A spectrogram would be a good way (on the right side of the pic, steinbergs supervision again), but IMHO best to have an overall look 'into' the mix is a 3d spectogram (left hand pic, izotope insight 2).
    From left to right is the frequency plot, height is level, front is now, back is past.
    That way you can see things like 'where in the frequency domain sits the snare'.
    'Where are sibilances in mixes I consider as harsh'. 'Where are sibilances in mixes I like'. 'Do other mixes place high hats as high up in the spectrum as I do, or am I doing it wrong ;) (common mistake).
    and so on and so on.
    insight 2 is to be found on the sister site.
    when you start your daw first, it might say 'izotope xy is not a plugin' (cubase does), thats ok, thats just when your daw mistakes a support dll from izotope as a plugin.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List

Attached Files:

3. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

already tried it at the instant it comes out, but i guess i have to give it another try from another perspective, thanks!

4. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

1: hi thanks u for the response, but maybe im not clear with what im tryin to achieve?
    i already mention that i know, use your ears for mixing etc, but a song, final song mastered, has a constant printed frequency spectrum, its not about some fixed mystical freq for the kick what im talking about, the kick its just for one example, but in the chorus, the most excited part of a song, have (most of the times) always the same elements picking at some level... so if i can see where its picking, then i can found where the snare is and so on. i can see the way its leveled and try it for my purposes of studying.

2:thats not what i want, i dont have a multitrack song in my power, like i said its a song mastered already, launched etc.
    so the last thing i can do its to grab a spectrum analyer like voxengo span yes, but for the ability to hear only some zone of freq holding control on windows, to find kick low end, snare fundamental, etc etc...
    but even voxengo span have that weird meter which starts at -12 and the 0db its placed at -36db? idk im trying to figure it out why all of those tools, vary that much, makes no sense, or im ignorant at some thing that im trying to find out...

5. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

oh my... im confused, but thanks for the response, im gonna study what u r saying, thanks!!!

6. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

hhmm.. okay.
    did u know how to config a voxengo span or this spectrum from studio one, so that i can try to find as precisely and best as possible where the fundamental peaks of each element i want to find are?

7. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

never though of this maths... it is to find a real peak of a certain element ?

8. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

yes, this, thanks! so the bands are calculated in dbs in the yellow and the meter in gray next to, are calculating the peaks right? just for confirmation that i understood

9. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

yes thanks for that comparision, if im not wrong @Sinus Well talk about this.

10. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

that explain why in some config in spectrum meter from studio one, the waveforms at the low freq, shows squares.. like this
    upload_2024-1-14_14-45-32.png

11. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

yes i saw some guys from España doing this with Logic spectrum analyzer, and shows that T-Rack 5 Metering, behaves too similar to show where it peaks some elementes, of a mastered song.
    Ears always do the rest yessss

12. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

hmmm insteresting, sound more pleasure to find some elements dominating the moment in the song..
    thanks! maybe im gonna try it!
    oh yes about dll izotope daw... i recently delete all my izotope stuff, except tonal balance control for check only, not to follow .
    that error its annoying as hell in my daw. it shows like 5 times that error, goshhh

EDIT: even if i have legit files, wtf are they installing? i found one DLL into the VST3 folder... of couse never can run it if the file its in the wrong folder... im talking about the legit one.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

in my experience, really helpful was observing differences between white noise, pink noise and brown noise - how they appear in different measurement plugins

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

You can edit its settings FF Pro-Q 3 analyzer options.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

dBFS, yes, as always.

The vertical numbers? These are just the scale but it's not really reliable because it can't change with the tilt.

16. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

hmm, im following u but... need to question... can u be more specific about HOW i need to observing? like, playing in the background a pink noise and in the front, how a mastered song shows in comparision?

17. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

First response: dbFS as always? i dont understand when it measure in dbFS or not!! :c some spectrum shows in db but its not saying its on dbFS... here i have a big doubt

Second response: got it :like:

18. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

No, it is the calculation of the average level from the frequencies that make up the frequency bands of the two analyzers you mentioned, and the results are -2.9 dB and -3.9 dB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Always, digital levels are measured in dBFS, be it peak, RMS, TP or LUFSm,s,i. :winker:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Thanks a lot! Thats good to know :)