[help] Drum machine sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by jayhind, May 21, 2024.

1. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Looking for help in identifying what drum machine this is. Specifically the kick and snare. The song was released in 1992, so I am guessing they were using 80's stuff.

Sounds like the drum sound from Michael Jackson's Dangerous album, but that record came out 2 years later.

3. zib

zib Platinum Record

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

unlike Michael Jackson, this band probably did not have lots of money for whatever gear they wanted. So I will guess that it is either an Alesis HR-16 or a SR-16. The kick makes me think it is the HR-16.

5. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

it sound like a yamaha RX8

6. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Thanks a lot you guys for getting me started, however so far I haven't found the kick and snare sounds in any of the 3 suggested units (RX8 from a YT video both Alesis kits via sample sets found on the web). The more I explore, the more it feels like the snare could actually be a clap sound, also 1989's "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals also featured this kind of snare sound.

7. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I found more info about the song, original instruments used were Roland W30 and Roland R8. However, I have scanned their samples available here and there, and still no luck with that snare sound.

8. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Update: Using the snare from "Flange 2" kit in Roland R8 has helped, after some boost at 5khz and reducing the attack.