Help about all the process

Discussion in 'digital labels' started by PitchWheel, Jun 10, 2011.

1. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

Hello all!

Is there some one so kind to explain me, or give me some tutorial, manual, book, video... anything, about the whole process of selling music on internet?

I'm currently involved in a small project for which we are receiving now our 1000 CD's; it's not my wish to become a superstar, our objective is just to give the opportunity for who already knows us to buy the album online (physical and/or digital), and, why not, maybe have some appearance on the air, wether classical radio or internet radio.

I've got a lot of questions for you:

- What's the best distributor for small projects (so I suppose with a % on revenue rather than a fixed fee)?
    - Does it make sense to have multiple distributors?
    - What is a UPC / ISRC code and how does it match with the Italian SIAE?
    - We have already printed our 1000 CD's, with the SIAE mark. Do we own a UPC?
    - Apart from selling the album, how can our music be spread on the internet or sent on the air?
    - How do we protect our mp3 music from being stolen after they're online?
    - Is there a cheap way to also distribute the physical albums to real shops?

Thanks very much!
    Beppi.

3. JackVeleno

JackVeleno Newbie

Compliments for your GREAT success!!!

For what I know, about selling music through the web, it should be always better to lean on someone who knows very well the engine that moves the machine.
    I think that Zimbalam (http://www.zimbalam.com) provides a nice service at a very low price.

To me, what is interesting, is that they receive a share on the music they sell for you.
    This is a gurantee (to some extent) that they would work in order to sell your music; and maybe they can reach places and market unknown to us...

Best wishes!!!

4. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

I'll give a look to them. It seems a bit costly at a (very) first glance.
    Thank you.
    Any answer to the other questions? :)

5. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

you can "protect" your MP3 with Creative Commons". Just be aware that on the net nothing is ever really totally or even partially protected anyway.
    But with Creative Commons you can at least claim ownership to the music you post as MP3. Google for it 'cose they have various options to suite different needs, and it is free.

ciao

6. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

hi JayAr. As soon as you're Italian, do you know if publishing a record with the SIAE stamp gives you some kind of protection, or do you need to start from scratch if you want to sell online?
    Grazie

7. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

SIAE gives some form of "protection" only if each song/track of the CD is actually deposited/registered with them.
    The actual "stamp" on the CD is only proof of your payment to them, a sort of "tax" if you like. SIAE is the biggest legal scum of the music industry in Italy (surprise surprise).. they take money but give nothing in return. It has been proved that the SIAE organisation is now so big that most of the money they collect goes not towards paying royalties, but their own wages!!
    When you buy a blank CD in Italy, a small percentage of the CD cost goes to SIAE!! I know, it is ridiculous.. but that's the way it is here in Italy.
    Years ago I worked for a Computer's Company.. we needed 500 blank CDs with our logo printed on them.. we had to pay SIAE!!! For empty CD!!!

As I said.. for legal ownership protection there are cheaper (and better) alternatives to SIAE.
    And Saints suggestion to post the CD to yourself is not a bad one either. I have done it myself with my first self released CD.

8. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

@ PitchWheel

Go to AudioZ and type "Music Business" into the search engine.
    You will find three E-Books, that might be helpful for you.

9. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

For a simple distribution try itunes :break: .

10. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

You cannot distribute directly to itunes, amazon and other stores: you need to make a contract with a digital label, and anyway you still have the problem to promote your record.

11. JackVeleno

JackVeleno Newbie

Ciao Beppi!
    I've checked back zimbalam site, and they can promote a double track fore 24,99 Eur, or an entire album for 34,99 (and they prefer if you are not a SIAE member).
    The idea is that the Creative Commons license can give you the proper protection for your rights.
    The only think that a licence CC can't allow you is to be broadcasted by radio stations (and if my music would be broadcasted by radio station I would prefer to have a SIAE patent).

12. djzero

djzero Member

Hello Beppi,

I do not know a lot about selling cds but I have researched selling on the internet as a digital label, as I had a little attempt myself.
    First of all to get in "the good" online stores you need a good and serious distributor or aggregator.
    A good and serious distributor never! asks money upfront, but takes % from sales instead.
    I am not from Italy so I don't know what SIAE is but I know for sure you don't need it for selling online. What you do need instead is ISRC per track and UPC per album/ep. What is ISRC and UPC? They are unic codes given to your track/release through which distributors/aggregators keep track of your songs and albums through online shops so they can gather royalities. In order to obtain ISRC/UPC you need to talk to your distributor, some distributors give them for free, others might ask you to pay a small price for them (like a few cents for 1 ISRC, this should be the ONLY THING they should ask you money for).
    Each distributor/aggregator has its own selection process but what most of them will commonly ask from you would be: label name, short label biography, label website containing artists you intend to release music from, a 3 months schedule of releases, including artwork, plan of how you intend to promote your music (radio shows, club label nights, etc.).

I'm sorry if I bored you with to much text bro but I wish you best of luck!!
    Cheers.

13. MrGold

MrGold Newbie

Hey Beppi and any of you guys that my find this useful. Im sorry if some one has pointed you in this direction already but not had time to read all replies. I have a friend who uses http://www.tunecore.com/ .I think he paid a 1 time payment for the software (about £80 gbp)and this allows you to upload your album/track whatever for about £10 an ep and £20 for an album (i think).You get the id tag etc and it is distributed to Itunes , Beatport , Juno,amazon, blah blah blah digitally(loads if you select em ,20-30+ i think) and you are off n running. He even calls himself a label on most sites and if the site dosent let you it says Rebeat Music. He has released about 15-20 tracks like it so far. I was going to look at it myself but then there was no need. Sorry for the 'i thinks' but it was a while ago and 'should' be fairly accurate 'ish!' Check it out, probably less cash than you paid for 1000cds :wink:
    You actually get more than you would if you got signed by a label per sale but less exposure as labels have followers and more PR obviously but its well worth a go to see how your music goes and get more chance of being spotted by a label :dancing:

14. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

I think there was an article about this Tunecore service in Computer Music or Future Music. They even gave a promo-code which allowed you try the service for free for first three tracks. I'm absolutely sure that it's not a one-time payment. Rather they use different business model compared to usual label/distribution business. They charge you fixed fee per year for each track (upfront), but in the meantime the only thing you require is to submit your own track. After that it gets pushed to Beatport, eMusic and other similiar sites. So they will never do anything in order to promote your music, but in turn you pay only fixed amount annually per each track. Compare this to the common label/distribution business where you will receive only 20%-70% of income for each track.
    If you have a solid fan-base, then Tunecore is a way to go. Otherwise you need to consider how good at promotion you are. I'm personally much better at making music, that's why I'm looking for a label :)