Heavy Metal Drums

Discussion in 'Software' started by themeisterz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. themeisterz

themeisterz Newbie

Whats your favorite heavy metal kick drum sample?

3. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i like toontrack s metal foundry,but bfd2 can do the job too

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I dont like Heavy metal :bleh:

5. Black Lotus

Black Lotus Guest

Kontakt Drums are very good (Abbey Road series are awesome for Hard Rock and Heavy Metal)!!! :wink:
    I say this because I am a metalhead (I play guitar)!!! :guitarhero:
    Long Live Rock'n'Roll!!! :headbang:

6. lee1970

lee1970 Newbie

depends what sort of heavy metal we're talking about...assuming you dont mean any sort of death metal then I would suggest trying the White kicks (from Abbey modern drums) - in fact the whole white kits (DW) are great for heavy rock...if you use your ears really well and remove annoying frequencies then you will find that the Abbey Early 60s kick drum is excellent, as well as the late 60s....fucked if I can ever get the 70s open kick to sound any good...I also quite like the Abbey Black kick...as with all of the Abbey kits though, like I said earlier, you have to really dig into the eq by removing the shit...and they all end up sounding great....playing with the envelope never hurts either....but when it comes to ready made heavy metal kicks then the metal Foundry ones are fine as well....and Im just now checking out, and enjoying, the Steven Slate Platinum 3.5 thing...quite impressive...but I like to tailor the drums and shape them into my own 'sound' and the only ones I would EVER purchase are the complete Abbey set...fucking great!!

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Well we Heavy Metal Hard Rock guys dont like dance trance hip dip lip shit or whatever you call that computer made stuff.

Is it shit i cant play any instrument but i´m good at computer keyboard shortcuts music?

It´s like
    Hey i better put some note outside the grid and use quantizing so it maybe gonna sound like it was made by a human being and not a computer but you will not fool anyone

8. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i can t judge abbey road drums,i only have the 60s kit included in komplete and it takes forever to load,i m not even sure if it s because of the drum kit iitself or it s my computer

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

You need to do a Batch resave on them, they will load almost instantly everytime after that :wink:

10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Newbie

I think it is impossible to say one program is better than another.It all comes down to taste/preference and how much time you want to spend dialing in a kit.I think Metal Foundry(presets) are dam good for metal/rock and require very little tweaking.I personally use Addictive Drums Metal kick with my music.My sound is more like Tool/Pink Floyd so I needed a kit that has a good open tune sound with a tight kick that cuts through the mix.Mind you I only use the kick from the Metal ADPak and the other drums are the Sonor from the stock library.I really like BFD2 and Toontrack but I found I spent more time auditioning sounds than making music.There is such a thing as too much-cracked BFD2 and libraries=400+Gb and Superior/EZDrummer and libraries is like 175Gb.Addictive Drums and libraries=5Gb.Funny that in the end I ended up with the less favored of the VST drums.

11. johnpaulgrim

johnpaulgrim Newbie

dude, I have SuprDrmr, BFD2, AddctvDrms, all the NI drums for Kontakt (70,80,90's modern pop drums) EZdrummer, and they all just sit there in my plug-ins list, yet every month a new expansion comes out I DL it and try it out but they all just A) half sound good, half sound like shit or B) Not enough flexibility to get the sound you need/ wayyyyyyyy to much work to get the sound you need.
    I personally use only one program, and I actually bought it when it came out almost 2 years ago...mutha fuckin steven slate plat drums,,,, dude if you do not have that library you are doing yourself and your metal A SERIOUSE DIS-SERVICE OF A PARTY FOUL!

go now, google it! down that shit and tell Fxpansion, Toontrack and the rest to suck it!

Every drum kit you select is pretty much spot the fuck on for sitting in the mix and when frequencies clash just add a eq to the individual track and boom, all eqing and compressing and reverbing is done within kontakt, so you never really have to worry about your drums being bounced down too early now you gotta re-write the midi, or having all these extra plug-ins to try and get the shit out of the shit that is all those other drum programs. ahahah

yea sorry I'm fuckin bitter, I've actually Bought ALLLL those other drum plugs being fed from their hype always to be let the fuck down, seriously man take my word for it I've been making metal/progressive rock for a long long long time now, this shit is the bee's-knee's!

But i digress, anyway SSD plat has amazing, and i mean fuckin great! kicks, I recorded soooooo many bands now a days and I really never ever take the recorded kick anywhere near tape, its always replaced with some beautifully smooth sounding kick drum hidden in slate drums. fuck i sound like a representative!

:)

P.s. this is just my personal opinion based on years and years of hands on experience, so to any AdDrum/Sprdrmr/ezdrmr/bfd2 fanboys who might have been harmed or butt hurt during the process of reading the above said post, my bad guys but that shit just doesn't work well with me and my way about things, but hey too each their own, I know tons of people that can get decent sounding results out of those programs....after about 72 hours of eq time just to get a snare that actually makes a tweeter whimper! :)