Hear What Effects/Plugins Are Doing To Sound Using Polarity

Discussion in 'Live' started by olson, Feb 14, 2014.

1. olson

olson Member

BOOM :excl:

3. xsze

xsze Guest

Whole time I couldn't stop thinking about his dock, it's like Monica from "Friends" when she showed up with cleaning kit at that girls doorstep because she couldn't sleep knowing about messy apartment like that, OCD :rofl:

@ 3:11 :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOZo11eo4Y

4. zqone537

zqone537 Noisemaker

Hey
    There's a couple a things to be aware of with this technique that he left out. As well as some mistakes or misunderstandings of what he was doing to his audio. I was going to make a tut about this myself as it is a very helpful way to learn how to use compression. I also wanna give you guys some other uses as well. He did an excellent job up til he added compression FX to track. So...
    ---1) When you place a compressor on the other track. And you got something going you like. He missed an important step here, You MUST GAIN STAGE. Keep in mind compressors don't add gain your sound audio, they take it away.
    That is, the track must be the same volume as it was before you compressed it. So if your original track was at -6db in volume. You compress track 2 and take away 2db of volume. It is now -8db in volume. You must bring the volume back up to -6db to hear the effect that the compressor is having on your audio.
    ----2) It's also useful to hear what analogue plugin emulations add to your sound when you use them. No gain staging needed. Since these plugs are about timbre and harmonics they usually don't add any gain in volume. Also for all you Nebula users, it's a great way to get an idea of how to use your pre amps, tube stuff, etc.
    Just felt it was important that we all get the best knowledge and help we can get. Kudos for the well done video otherwise. I mean no offense what-so-ever. ANd I hope this was helpful and cleared up some things for you guys.
    :wink:

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Also, this won't work with all plugins, like plugins that aren't linearphase. Many transient designers, IIR EQs, VSTs that lie about their PDC, etc.

6. zqone537

zqone537 Noisemaker

*yes* Sure you can use plugins that aren't linear phase with this technique. You should not have this problem. Depending on the plugin or DAW you use you may have a problem with latency. IIR EQs, VSTs that lie about there PDC, etc. I am unsure about that and will take you word on it.

7. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Null testing, Proper ABX testing along with for example using the free VSTPlugInAnalyser tool/application by C.W.Budde (He also offers a great ABX tool too as does foobar2000 just on the rare chance no souls haven't got them and use them regular) are all certainly very import and offer so much to make sure you are no first of all fooling yourself/getting rick rolled by the placebo effect a nice GUI can have upon our fickle and too easy to fool brains. All this though must be done to first save money and prevent GAS. The most important to me personally of all is rigorous ABX listening tests performed often and logging the results, It also has the benefit of really increasing one's critical listening ability.

That said there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with spending your money on whatever the heck you want/like as it will suit your workflow and I've said it lots of times but will say it again - As my time is mostly very limited and it can not be bought due to important commitments, A smooth and rapid workflow is absolutely critical to me personally above anything.

Maybe I'm a bit of a nerd though as I do actually enjoy it when I have chance to do null tests and have a look under the hood to the best of my abilities using the tools available. As you all probably know all too well juggling free time to fit everything a person would like to do oppose to what a person can actually do in said time is a target that just is not always achievable. So all we can do is prioritize without doing rush jobs, I'd rather not do anything at all than do a half arsed job if you know what I mean.

Cheers and enjoy your time you get to spend with/on audio, It is priceless

8. zqone537

zqone537 Noisemaker

Hey Frogz you know where to get a VST plugin analyzer like the Bubble one? I wanna see what type a phase shifts some of my EQ's are causing to my audio when I use them. I tried using the Bubble one but it is a standalone app. And yes A, B testing is a good way learn your plugs and improve your ear. Great add bro!