Headphones for mixing without Sonarworks?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by samsome, Apr 11, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

I've read that some use sonarworks to correct their headphones
    can you recommend me some headphones that don't need me to use sonarworks
    Thanks

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

People are using headphones without Sonarworks since the beginning. There is no need for this software.
    I had a look at SW's EQ correction curve for my HP, had a look at Morphit's correction curve and am using TotalMix's built-in EQ to get as close as possible - and that's good enough for me.

If you're looking for flat response HP, I'm not sure if there really is something like this even in the above 1000 bucks sector.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

Some people swear by the ATH50.

I have a pair of HD650 and they are pretty flat, even comparing with Sonarworks soft (which I own).
    The hd600 look flatter than the 650, but the 650 sound more natural, that's a war I'm getting into here...

5. ridfoz

ridfoz Newbie

Hi, Is there any correction curve ( sonarworks or other...) for my new Yamaha mdr 7506? Thanx

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

SW has none, but here you can find the freq response. Scroll a bit down, click on the pic at the right and select 'Detailansicht'
    https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/sony-mdr-7506/

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@samsome You forgot to mention the most important piece: budget. You can go and spend $100-$300 for a pair of Focal Spririt Pro or Sennheiser 600, or spend $1400 for a pair of Audeze LCD-X 9 (great sounding headphones). Headphones choice is like choosing monitors. A subjective, budget-limited decision. With that said, not all mixes done with headphones will translate well to monitors. Therefore, read as much as you can before making a decision. I was using Sennheiser 700s Series before falling in love with Focal's Spirit Pro. As with monitors, when all is said and done, it comes down to how well you do know your headphones. As @No Avenger mentioned there is no need for Sonarworks BUT ... I use it 100% of the time with my headphones.:grooves:

8. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

ATH50 for the win.

I thought Sonarworks was overhyped but after installing v4 last week it's really amazing, can't do without it now especially when precisely mixing on headphones.

Because looking at the spectrum curve you will notice that even the ATH50 have slightly too much bass (I came to realise I was throwing too much low end frequencies while producing because of this native unbalance) and Sonarworks correct/compensate them perfectly, and otherwise they are just what most producers need especially for that price (light, durable, clarity of sound).

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Just beware of the really fucking annoying 9kHz resonance on the ATH-50.

10. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

I used to use ATH50 until I got the MDR-1000X. but do your research and find what might be the best option for you.!.
    check out https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  11. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

DT 1990 PRO looks pretty amazing though, I'll prolly upgrade from my ATH50 soon, I need that more advanced and detailed sound for mixing.

12. Banz

Banz Ultrasonic

I think you would be good with HD600 or HD650.

13. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

You're not forced to use Sonarworks (or any other calibration software). But be aware no headphones (and no speakers for that matter) will be truly completely flat. You learn what good music sounds like on your listening environment and you make your stuff sound like that, keeping in mind that perhaps your headphones have too much bass, so you add a little more than what feels appropriate to compensate for environments where no bass buildup is present.

But calibration is a game-changer and being able to have a common reference (that's consistent even between different headphones, studio rooms across the world - nice if you have studio cans and travel cans and you want to use your memory of what good stuff sounds like) is great. If you don't want to use such software, fine - just please reference good tracks to make sure you're on the right track.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. jayj4y

jayj4y Member

DT880

15. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I use DT-880 too. I like its clarity. Could be more bassier. Use Sonarworks for2 months now.
    And i feel my stuff translates much better. Wouldn’t expected the impact. I use it together with Can Opener, feels much better to produce on the Dt‘s.
    If budget is not a problem, i would go with SH 600 or 650 tho.
    Heard good things also about the Ultrasone Pro 750i. Talk from a techno perspective. Dt-250 seems to be a very flat (= well translating?) headphone.

16. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Interesting do you reckon the DT-880 will do the job just fine and I don't need to spend the extra bucks for the 1990 Pro? I'm looking for something as flat as possible, with the best possible low-end clarity as well (pre/post-Sonarworks).

17. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Low end clarity is not 880‘s superpower. The guy using the recommended Ultrasone got a 880 in his studio, but due to basslack he sticks to Ultrasone (which i never had a chance to test). The guy is into electronics too (Techno, Dubtechno).
    Cannot comment about 1990, no first „hand“ information from this end.

18. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

19. DigitHandz

DigitHandz Ultrasonic

Ever since I switched to Massdrop x Sennheiser 6xx (same build of Sennheiser HD650 but cheaper), my mixes have sounded better as opposed to sony-mdr7506 and yamahas (hs5-hs8) in untreated rooms.

But I always like to check my low end mix on some monitors in a treated/reference room (i.e. guitar center, my car, etc).

20. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

Just buy a cheap 10$ / 12,5$ headphone and transform it with sonarworks in a Sennheiser HD820 or Beyerdynamic T1.
    It is a game changer, you can't really notice any difference.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. LurkerSupreme

LurkerSupreme Ultrasonic

I love my Focal Spirit Pros. I bought a pair about 5 years ago, but the band ended up breaking and my warranty was up. I replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser HD6Mix, which I like but it wasn't the same. About a month ago I found an old youtube video on how to fix the band on my Focal's (its a pretty known defect). Went and spent like 5 bucks on materials and revived them. Im a happy camper once again.