HDMi vs. Display Port

Discussion in 'PC' started by DJSabreblade, Feb 8, 2017.

1. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

which is better and why?

obviously going pure digital connection is going to yield better results than dvi and dvi sucks. nobody even using dvi anymore.

I am currently using an hdmi cord and can get 60 fps on some 4K resolutions in games, movies etc.. so i must be using the latest Hmdi version..i think..but i should check.

but, i want to know if i can get even ''better'' or more accurate color quality from using a display port cable.

3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Literally just Google 3 words HDMI VS DISPLAYPORT!!!

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Did you really just ask if a different digital cable will give you better color quality? Its digital man, it either works or it doesnt. If the bandwidth isnt there it sputters out.
    Now if it was an analog connection, YES.
    Think of this, rabbit ear antennas and a satellite dish.
    Turn one and the signal freezes and sputters but the frozen frames are just as clear as the streaming ones.
    Turn the other and the picture fades in and out, colors change, audio goes in and out, gets distorted. Make sense?

They make special USB audio cables just for people that believe that.
    https://www.moon-audio.com/b-m-c-pure-usb-1.html

Denon had a special cat-5 cable too
    https://tinyurl.com/h4n5w9h

If you want a good laugh read the reviews

As long as you use all the right buzzwords people will believe anything instead of looking up the way of how stuff really works.

Moral of this story: Dont fall for the hype and paid reviews

*just figure out how much bandwidth is needed to give you the fps @ the resolution you need and make sure your cable is rated to it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I don't think Display Port can carry sound like HDMI (up to 7.1). Only difference I can think of.

Oh yeah and DP was a Mac 1st thing. :bleh:

6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Yup, apple likes to DP their customers for sure, lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Actually, there is a big difference even within hdmi cables quality. premium certified vs standard 4.99 cable. and yes you can tell the difference even on a shitty monitor. i cannot find good information (via Google) on tests between hdmi and display port color bandwidths.

Since i cannot find good info i will get this

Supports BT.2020 and HDR (High Dynamic Range) etc..

https://qualgear.myshopify.com/prod...high-speed-hdmi-2-0-cable-with-ethernet-black

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Monoprice sells the exact same unbranded premium cables that best buy does. On monoprice they're 11bucks. @bestbuy they're 70. Exact same cable from the exact same manufacturer. One just has more hype and premium packaging. The monoprice one comes in a bulk blisterpack. Im a sub that does installs for bestbuy and hhgregg, also Sam's club, the sony store, dell and staples. I was installing 4k TVs when there was only one 25000 dollar 74in model available from Sony. We love to sell cables, I make an extra 2 to 3 hundred a week on them. I have them with plastic and metal connectors, aluminum with gold plated connectors, and the really thin white ones that look like apple cables. All my packaging says 4k. Easiest upsell ever. I order everything in bulk by the 10 count from monoprice. Been doing this for these companies since 2011 and everybody's happy. Especially my wallet. Hype keeps me eating good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

The difference is, Displayport is latency free, HDMI can cause latency (caused my the display often) and one important issue, if you use HDMI, you can use not more then 2 Displays on the computer. While displayport has no limitations. I use 3 screens on my MacPro without issues. But as soon as i use a Display-port to HDMI converter, i can use only 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Yes you are right. When I install menu displays at aunt Annie's or Cumberland farms the multi panel ones are daiseychained with DP. If its only a single panel they use HDMI on the mini PC I Velcro to the back of the displays

11. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

QualGear® QG-PCBL-HD20-6FT High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable with Ethernet - 6 FT

• Bandwidth upto 18Gbps
    • 4K @50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
    • Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
    • Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
    • Supports BT.2020 and HDR (High Dynamic Range) for
      better pixels and crystal clear audio
    • Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
    • CEC extensions provide expanded command and control of electronics devices
      through a single control point
    • Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)
    • Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
    • Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
    • EMI Tested to Ensure Minimal Wireless Interference
    Why Qualgear?

• 100% Oxygen Free Bare Copper Triple Shielded Wires
    • 28 AWG for Higher Bandwidth of 18 Gbps+
    • Zinc Alloy Connectors and 24K Gold Plated Contacts
    • Rigorously Tested by HDMI® to Ensure Quality
    • Anti-Counterfeit Label to Ensure Authenticity
    • 2 Color Nylon Braided Cable

At the end of the day i settled on this over display port. i dont even think there is gold plated display port cables??

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Good choice, dont want those oxygen molecules getting in the way of the data bits. Buzzwords, LoL
    Because the conductivity (the science that really matters) of oxygen free copper and regular copper is exactly the same.

Read this, real world test by real engineers
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0714/oxygen_free_copper_wire_hype.htm

Gold plating was a deciding factor? More buzzwords.
    Unless you got gold connectors on your tv/monitor and computer it doesnt make a difference. It would have to be a gold path all the way from point to point. Make sense?

Okay Ill stop, youre happy and in the end thats all that matters to the seller/buyer.

But me? I know better and will spend the money on better things like upgrades and hardware. More RAM and more SSDs

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Lol oh well at least it makes me feel like im getting quality :wink:

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

The only thing more conductive than silver, gold or copper

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Thats from when the battery died when Jamie left the keys in the ignition of the rv. Love it!

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Probably wont be until they start putting gold display ports on devices. Its redundant. Ive seen TVs with gold plated ports so its plausible to use gold connectors on those devices.

Also, DVI (Digital Visual Interface) is digital unless you use a VGA adapter. LoL Its hybrid but doesn't use any analog signal unless you use a VGA adapter. The reason they not using them as much is because theyre so big and HDMI ports have a smaller footprint in the build and also a lot less expensive now.

17. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Digital is digital, no difference. Only difference in physcal plug. DVI, HDMI, Displayport, all the same digital signal. Only VGA is difference because it is analog.

HDMI is limited to 60hz so that is a bad thing, if you have a high refresh rate screen. DVI needs to be Dual Link to support more ( I use one 144hz, with dual link DVI cable). Displayport is the newest and supports high refresh rates best. But otherwise, it's no difference in quality.

18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Suckers are born every minute and they have a cable just for them
    AudioQuest - Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable - Dark Gray/Black for $1095.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioqu...le-dark-gray-black/2383276.p?id=1218324437192
    Read those reviews for another good laugh.

When I goto best buy to pick up orders for customers, we joke about this stuff in the back. They have employee incentives for top $$$ cable sales/upsells. They get a parking spot in the front and a 50 dollar gift card for Chilis or Fridays.
    But these kinds of sales are reserved for the customers that just hand the black card over and say they dont want to know anything about it they just want it done now.
    I have used multiple cat6 wire runs in the attic with HDMI baluns on each end to hide the components in the rack in the closet. Great picture and color. xbox, sat, and xfinity to multiple locations. I made these HDMI cables (20+' runs) myself and it cost me less than 5 dollars a piece. But of course I invoiced for custom length cables per foot.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  19. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

My Asus monitor only supports 60hz anyway, and i think hdmi 2.0b does actually support higher refresh rates..but, i could either be wrong or its still coming in a later hdmi update.

its still definately a badass 4k monitor tho, much better than my previous asus 1080p one :

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236688

EDIT yes later version 2.1 does : http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=145

''Las Vegas, Nevada – January 4, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the upcoming release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.''