HDD makes high-pitched noise

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by monochrom3, Sep 27, 2015.

1. monochrom3

monochrom3 Ultrasonic

Hey guys,

So since a few weeks, I've got this high-pitched noise coming from my PC. It's not terribly loud or distracting, but especially when working without having music playing in the background, it's slowly driving me fucking nuts. It's not a 'long note', just some very short, fast-paced 'spikes' in a chirping way. I've been trying to sort out where it's coming from, and considering the fact that the noise is almost perfectly in time with my flashing HDD LED, I'm pretty sure it's one of my hard drives. I've got a Samsung 840 evo as my system drive, a 640GB WD Blue and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive for my libraries & samples. No idea which one it is tho. Anyone around here got any idea on what to do? I'm slowly going insane here :(

3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

4. luizcifer

luizcifer Ultrasonic

not sure if this helps
    i had an issue a while ago and i also thought its my HDD
    but it was my case vibrating so you might check the HDD`s if the screws are tighten in your case and look out if some cables came in the way of the Fans or check for screws that might be a bit loose at the back holding the sidepanels of your PC

good luck :wink:

5. monochrom3

monochrom3 Ultrasonic

Thanks for the tip, but I've had case vibration issues ever since I got my first PC, and this definitely sounds different.

I just ran all the Seatools Tests (except for the long-term test) and all my drives passed all of them.

6. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

my 2,5inch internal seagate does the same. as its the data storage device i unmount it when not needed, so it doesnt bother that much. additionally its mounted on shock absorbers so the noise is really quiet ... its a kind of short period "chirping" , it appears from time to time

never had any troubles with it, and its technically in best condition - its an ST2000LM003 (seagate model id) HN-M201RAD (samsung model id) - its kinda a seasamsung or samsogate or a samsung with seagate firmware :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  7. monochrom3

monochrom3 Ultrasonic

ok guys, I have an update on the situation...

Just for good fun, I tried disconnecting my WiFi stick today (it's an AVM Fritz Stick v2). And guess what... it's gone. Reconnect it, and it starts the frickin noise again. Idk wtf is going on here, but if no one on the webz has a solution to this, Imma go buy a PCI wifi card or something. Really.. I had this stick for like 2 or 3 years, and never noticed anything wrong with it. Weird...

8. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Sounds like the coil noise and not the HDD. You sure it's not the coils on the mobo?