HDD CRASH PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by koschke, Jul 25, 2015.

1. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

Hello Guys,

I have a big problem,

Yesterday as always I started my Mac pro to do some work but as I Load the last project in LPX I had some Error massages and missing files and when the shocking moment my HDD disappeared.

So I put out the HDD an stick it to another slot but the issue is still persisting I also put it to my windows PC through a USB adapter but the only thing that I get is the windows sound like when you put in a usb stick but I can’t see the HDD (but I think it cannot because it was format in Mac OX extended Journal).
    And there is no clicking sound when you turn on the HDD but you can hear that the spindle is rotating.(Well, I guess the only good thing here)

So my last step is to bring my HDD to a professional company who can maybe help me but I know if they have to save the data they will take around 400€-1500€ or more but don’t have that much.

SOOOOO my question is now maybe I have missed something or do you have an idea before I make my last step.

MY HDD Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 SATA 6.0

Mac Pro Mid 2010

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

And the days before the HDD worked like the other with no problem or any other thing,

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  3. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

4. korgrog

korgrog Member

what kind of sounds did the hard drive make when the computer tries to find it

5. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

6. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Good to hear that you don't have the dreaded "click of death" and that you're sure that the drive platters are spinning ok. Question is; is the fault mechanical, or electrical? Impossible for to say without some test gear and the drive itself.

Supposing it's just the stepper motors and/or heads that are knackered, swapping out the combs (floating heads) is do-able without access to a clean room. It's not something that you'd wish to attempt for the first time on a possibly healthy drive but, if you're courageous, you might like to take a look at this site and work out what bits you'd need for a d.i.y repair: http://www.hddsurgery.com/head-replacement-tools

7. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

Hi,

First of all thank you for your replies,:wink:

I tried the Mac drive on PC tool but the HDD did not show up,:unsure:

Same with Parted Magic it did not show up on the list,:unsure:

I took a look on the side of hddsurgery for the head-replacement-tools but 600€ fort the replacement items is really expensive don’t get me wrong I want to safe my HDD but before I take the step to do it on my own I would try my luck at the repairing shop. Maybe it’s something that is not so expensive ………..that I don’t believe because it’s me…. :crazy:

And there is no special noise when I boot the HDD.

Maybe one more advice before I :suicide:

8. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

Did you try TestDisk? Does it show that hard drive is being detected? Does it list the partition(s)? Even if the drive didn't show when using Parted Magic it could just be a mounting issue that TestDisk might be able to resolve or at least bypass to recover your data.

9. davea

davea Platinum Record

Install Disk Warrior on your OSX
    and check if it sees your HD, then use it to repair what it can.

If it can rebuild the partition &/or save some data you should check also
    with Drive Ulitily from your os. And repair it also.

let us know ans we'll see further

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    As computer tech, i will tell you how things work in professional world ;)

First thing first, before doing anything else, try to see your HDD in the BIOS. This is ALWAYS the first thing to do.
    Mount it INSIDE a different computer (to avoid any dead mobo controller) and use only internal SATA, never external USB/eSATA/Firewire.
    Enter the BIOS.
    Is your drive visible or not ?
    If not, your hard drive controller card is dead.
    Now, if your controller card is dead, you can buy another from the same batch on Ebay.
    Expert dead hard drive sellers will tell you the exact batch references (example) :
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/3-TB-Toshiba...47?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item463d73a097
    Swap controller cards and pray it works :beg: :wink:
    At least, if it don't, you can swap back and use another card or method.
    Because cards put themselves in "degraded" mode when they are mounted on the "wrong" hard drive. But it still works most of the time, just to recover files.

If visible, but still nothing in any OS (remember Windows will see Mac hard drives only in the disk manager, not explorer), use constructor diag tool.
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/596
    Because there are different hardware procedures from manufacturers, and "degraded" modes are different.

Good luck and post your tests !
    PS : you can find valuable infos on forums here :
    http://hddguru.com/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Boot to the recovery partition on your mac. Then click on utilities, then disk utility, then highlite your drive and run disk repair. If you don't know how to do any of this, just google it. Very easy. There are other command line disk check and repairs you can do at the "boot" level, so just google that and you will see if the above doesn't work.

12. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Trouble is i'm pretty sure there is NO more drive visible to repair ;) That's why BIOS is mandatory before anything else.

13. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

So I put it in my Windows PC and enter BIOS and no HDD found.:thumbsdown:

Do you think it is the hard drive controller card and how much will it be when a pro is going for it.

IS there a tutorial what exactly the hard drive controller card is and how to change it.:dunno:

14. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

Hi is your HDD a Fusion drive around from 2012 ? If that is then Apple will replace your HDD without any costs ! I had an issue when my fusion drive start to suck...the other day i can´t boot OSX anymore. I fumbled around with any possible method....then i read on the net about the replacement. Can´t find the link at the moment
    edit: here is the link https://www.apple.com/at/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/?cid=CDM-EU-4316&cp=em-P0016683-339796&sr=em

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Replacing the hard drive is not a problem. Getting back data is the problem ;)
    I've already answered your question about controller card swap, read my post again :D

16. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Sounds very much like you have a dead drive then. I've had a couple server drives die lately myself. Not fun.

17. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Did you try it on another Mac Pro?Your friend's maybe?Just a shot in the dark.:)

18. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

Hi,

A quick update….. I send it to a professional HDD repair shop for analyzing the Error, its free…

And I heard good things through the web and TV about the shop. (Yes I know even than they could be ….)

@Pipotron3000 thx for the advice with the hard drive controller that will be my very last step because I have heard that the Toshiba HDDs have special firmware on the controllers so by changing that I could lose data.

Do you know something about that…?

Thank you guys will make the next update when I get the result …