Having issues with kontakt

Discussion in 'Software' started by king718, Feb 11, 2017.

1. king718

king718 Newbie

So I uninstalled kontakt because it wasn't working right. It seemed like it uninstalled fine, but I guess not, because every time I try to install it again, I get this error:
    [​IMG]

Now, this is my NAS system, that I am remotely logged into and have all my large Kontakt libraries in. I never installed kontakt on it though, just the libraries are on it. But for some reason, it keep giving this error. The funny thing is, this folder path doesn't even exist in my NAS. After \\ipaddress\folder\1\ there are no folders, yet this shows there are. There is no \6QNS~1\FL0TB~d\K1C081~7.0\data in my nas system.. I logged into my nas and checked for hidden folders and there are none, so I don't know why it is picking this up.

I've deleted all the old files associated with the old kontakt install. I even deleted all the registry files. I even turned off my NAS system and still I am getting this error.

My NAS system is netgear readynas 716, for anyone curious.

I would appreciate any help. I use kontakt a lot and can't live without it

3. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Are you trying to run the install files directly from your NAS ?
    Try to copy them to your computer instead and start installation from there.

Or there might be xml files left on your computer.
    (these xml files are created every time you install a NI product - plug-ins or libraries)

4. king718

king718 Newbie

No, I am installing from my desktop.

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Try creating directories that mirror this path \6QNS~1\FL0TB~d\K1C081~7.0\data on your NAS and place the Kontakt setup files there. Then attempt the uninstall. If you open the Kontakt installer as an archive with 7-zip or winrar you will find the data folder the error is looking for.

6. king718

king718 Newbie

@Pinkman Just tried that, still no good. Ran the installer as administrator as well, and still no go.

7. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

what version of kontakt are you trying to install?
    What OS are you using

8. celtic3342

celtic3342 Audiosexual

It´s only my personal opinion (partially), but I´d install Kontakt on local drive and libraries on NAS. NAS personal systems, not professionals built under RAID 5 or 10, for instance, are home resources, not 100% reliable. And if you power off NAS during night, worst. The version of Konkat is aaaaaabsolutely irrelevant, guru try. You install Kontakt in local mode and libraries are right in the NAS. It will load libraries slower because a 1Gb network connect for personal users NEVER works at 1 Gb, but you don´t have 2000 libraries like me, so for you shouldn´t be a problem.

So my advice is that you install Kontakt in your main HDD (600 MB?) and let libraries as they are inside NAS.

We are so happy to see you at Kontakt wallpapers thread, guru pastel. It must be alucinating that others make your work. That´s life!!!!!
    But that life will be over soon.

9. king718

king718 Newbie

installing Kontakt 5 5.6.1. Windows 10.

This is what I get once I click "cancel" on the image I posted in the original post:
    [​IMG]

But there is no Kontakt in Add or Remove for me to uninstall it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Try using the uninstaller in CCleaner. You should see two separate listings for Kontakt. If you get an error place the Kontakt setup files where it says it's looking for it. I had something similar happen before, it wasn't quite the same because I had installed Kontakt on a drive other than C: that wasn't being used anymore. I had to use disk management to temporarily change the drive letter just to uninstall Kontakt then switched it back.

Make sure you've cleared every single reference to Kontakt out of your program files and registry. Check all these locations:

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center
    C:\Program Files (x86\Native Instruments\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Native Instruments
    C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments\
    C:\Users\PC\Documents\Native Instruments
    C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\Native Instruments

and delete the Kontakt registry keys here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NKB
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NKI
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NKM
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NKP
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.NKS
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NI.Kontakt 5.nki
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NI.Kontakt 5.nkm

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Native Instruments
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Native Instruments

11. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah like Pinkman say is most likely a registry error telling your computer that Kontakt still installed as registry not been cleaned properly after uninstalling.
    Is now like u trying 2 do installation over the top so it not let u.
    Need to delete appropriate registry Keys. First try CCleaner etc then do a manual search.
    Another tip is when you do search ALWAYS include HIDDEN folders i.e first port of call would normally be say ProgramData folder like mentioned That however hidden by default, along with AppData, Roaming, Local etc, etc. Lots of important records in those folders specifically.
    Check in there in NI folder and check installer log. Always good to use uninstaller as keeps a log of install.
    Open and this will tell u location of install registry keys needed to delete i.e Open kontakt install log & u see something similar to

[INSTALLATION PATHS]
    TARGETDIR_PATH=C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
    VST32_PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments
    VST64_PATH=C:\Program Files\Native Instruments
    FACTORYCONTENT_PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments
    SYSTEMEXTENSIONS_PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\
    [REGISTRY KEYS]
    SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\InstallDir=C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
    SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\InstallVSTDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Native InstrumentsVST
    SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\InstallVST64Dir=C:\Program Files\Native InstrumentsVST

Another common cause can sometimes be a windows error as in interrupted install etc or need to remove totally broken msi etc

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2438651/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-installer-errors

Can use say Windows Installer CleanUp Utility that u can still download from certain websites.
    Think microsoft withdrew the tool though as people messing up their PC & stuff lol.

Now recommended I believe to use Microsoft troubleshooter instead i.e

https://support.native-instruments....ts-Product-Using-the-Microsoft-Troubleshooter

Most likely solve the problem by just simply deleting appropriate REG keys though as suggested :yes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  12. king718

king718 Newbie

I removed all the registry entries like you guys stated and tried uninstalling with ccleaner.
    [​IMG]

I even placed the install folder for the path it asking and placed the real .msi file there. and it still wont go past this.

13. king718

king718 Newbie

I ended up downloading older version of kontakt, and tried installing it. And it worked. I have no idea why, but its all working now! Thank you guys for you help! I really appreciate it:wink::wink: