have you heard this tuning before

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I'll ask Nick Drake if he likes open tunings.

2. EEOC

EEOC Ultrasonic

:facepalm:

Please throw the guitar away from your instrument cabinet. This instrument is evil and spoils your music and tastes.

3. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

:winker:
    All I could read was:
    Please show the guitar the way to it's amp head which will introduce it to the cabinet. This instrument is basically medieval and when you shred, it boils your coils which melts your face & ramps up your music tastes.

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. BagelShaggerz

DADGAD is a tuning I've been playing around with lately. It's extremely harmonic. When playing power chords, it's so easy to skip over 2 strings below with your index finger and be on the same note as the root note but an octave above all on the same fret. You could also have mega harmonic bar chords.

Playing some Modest Mouse tunes is most enjoyable for me with this tuning.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I use a whole bunch of tunings, mostly playing acoustic guitars including a CCCCCC that I like on an old Framus kid guitar from the 60's. I've been exploring DADGAE this last week and have my OLD maple big boned Ibanez J-540 NT from 1980 to CGCGCC. I thoughoughly enjoy experimenting and finding voicings of chords likely not come upon in standard tuning.

7. BagelShaggerz

CCCCCC tuning is something I haven't explored but it sounds like something Gypsies might use. I could also see western or country guitarists probably use it too.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This is one of the CCCCCC songs I've written. It's definately not Blues, more like an eastern modal of sorts.

https://audiomack.com/merlin-butterfinger/song/love-in-the-time-of-cholera

9. BagelShaggerz

That was amazing, I love how much it sounded like folk that took a delicious dark turn into dark folk territory! You should turn that into a full blown production if you feel like it. Lyrics in that would be great. If I had to criticise it at all then I would say it could benefit from a little bit of a low shelf cause mid song there was a lot of low end build up and some feedback since you used a good amount of reverb on it.

I liked it over all. The low end drone at the end could stay though because it seemed to oscillate in the best way with that low end feedback towards the end of your song. Really like what you did with your song, seems to have a lot of meaning to it even though it was just a guitar track with some shakers. I hope you do more with it and edit it some more because that was kickass!

Also @Lois Lane what guitar is that? That acoustic is beautiful! Especially how you have it sitting out in nature like that! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The guitar that I'm using was given to me after moving to Basel by a sister-in-law. Her father bought her the guitar when she was 7 years old and she put that Disney sticker on it. It needs lots of work that will within seconds outworth the instrument which usually sells for about 100 bucks. There is a crack in the top that runs along the treble side from top to bottom and the cheap original tuning machines need to be replaced (the reason I kept playing that last chord was because I was amazed that it had stayed in tune and was overjoyed). The top is sunken deeply and the only thing that I could do to keep it playable was to lower the extremely generous original plastic saddle to where it is now. It can't be fingerpicked as their now isn't enough string ramp on the saddle and would need a neck reset to be able to do so.

It's loudness belies it's diminutive parlor size I guess because of the floating heel string holder which of course exerts no weight or pressure on the soundboard and let's it ring more freely, the very light and narrow bridge helping too. The back isn't flat but carved maple laminate which I guess directs the sound outward to support it's reach. The fretboard is flat which I don't like and prefer the 16 inch radius of my other acoustic guitars.

The guitar records way better than what I hear as it's unmiced tone. I use a Gefell m930 and always record it off axis to quell the guitar's natural squeaky high end. The m930 has perhaps the most natural off axis of any microphone and so also makes a great one mic solution for a singer/songwriter if positioned correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Only a personal like, that Michael Manring has successfully utilised multiple tunings on a bass that change possibly better than most musicians on any stringed instrument I have seen. This is not because he might be 'this or that' but because he uses Hipshot tuners that he has adjusted on each string with two different tunings aside from the default on each string, to give him specific sets of combinations and not necessarily the same on his basses. It is extremely evident he has spent more than a decade honing multiple tunings so his skills are justified and deserved. I could post videos but I figure if people are interested enough here you all know how to use youtube.

I imagine there are guitarists out there who have done the same thing too. :)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. BagelShaggerz

Hahaha well the sticker gives the guitar personality. I'm glad you didn't even peel it off because it's no longer a Framus, it's an acoustic Disney Doggotuned to all C's.