have you heard this tuning before

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Apr 20, 2022.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

(B F# B F# B) 5 strings only

he mentions the tuning here

3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I think the dude likes power chords :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Pretty standard open blues tuning. Keith Richards uses a similar tuning for his 5-string guitar parts, but he instead removes the low E-string and tune the rest of them to G-D-G-B-D.

Edit: Missed the description of the tuning at the top of your post! It's a bit different than what Richards uses then.

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

There´s a lot of these modal tunings - I had a lot of fun with the DADAD tuneing way back - but it´s too limited imo if you want to make serious chord progressions.

6. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Kinda. Open C major (C G C G C E). It's pretty much the same, except it's centered on C and there's a sixth string that does the major third. Devin Townsend uses that a lot.

7. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Andrew WK tuned his guitar in a way that let him play power chords with one messy ass finger on one fret spanning multiple strings because he's mostly a keyboardist/pianist.

Still a fan doe lol

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Sure about that?

9. BagelShaggerz

Yes, he was a trained piano player since he was a kid taking classical piano lessons, so originally he was always a keyboardist. He picked up guitar and other instruments later on.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Eddie Van Halen was a piano player first a drummer second and a guitar player last, he still more than one finger.

No need to make excuses AWK, as long as it sells and people find meaning in it so be it.

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Where do you get these infos...... I can find absolutely nothing that refers to the fact he was a trained piano player since he was a kid taking classical piano lessons.

Are you a personal friend of him?

12. samsome

samsome Guest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_W.K.
    At the age of 4, Wilkes-Krier began learning piano at the University of Michigan School of Music.[7] He has recalled early family trips to Midnight Mass as having had an enormous impact on his love for music.[8][2] He was dubbed Andrew W.K. by an elementary school teacher to differentiate him from his classmates Andrew Cohen and Andrew Gilchrist.[9][2] He later attended the private college preparatory Greenhills School for middle school before attending the alternative Community High School from 1993 to 1997, where he continued to study piano and keyboard.[7]

he is also playing the drums very very well....and guitar

this is supposed to be just air drumming for fun but he indeed plays the drums

he's a machine

and my favorite video

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2022
  13. BagelShaggerz

I never had anything against him tuning his guitar in a way to help AWK learn and play guitar easier. I was always a fan of his music. He was upbeat and different so I always enjoyed what he put out. I liked his first two albums the most.

No I'm not a personal friend. I'm just a fan so I've watched many of his interviews, appearances and read articles/threads about him throughout the years.

He himself has said many times he took lessons as a kid, studied classical & jazz music as a kid growing up. So piano was his first and original instrument, he writes all his stuff around keyboards. He does write it all and can play many other instruments. He's just structured around keys is all, that's why he has his upbeat rock ballad thing going on with his "party rock" anthems. He's been in many different bands growing up from rock, punk, metal and grindcore.

But there is even early footage of himself headbanging over a keyboard in some coffee shop gig he got to do solo. He's always had that top level of passion/energy even just jamming out on his keys like it's a guitar.

Anytime I drink with some buddies, I always put his first two albums on to ensure a good time. Hell, even when I enjoy a beer by myself from time to time I still jam out to some AWK. He's got a positive attitude that rubs off on people.

At one of his gigs, he made everyone build up immense momentum counting down from 100 together in unison and then he just legit walked right the fuck off stage instead of playing another one of his hits like he usually does after the long countdown. lmao!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Before he can earn his money as a musician, he does pretty much any job, which even goes as far as offering his services as a mobile dishwasher and coming by to do the dishes for a penny. But he is still musical, after all, he started taking piano lessons at the age of four and later added drums and guitar. Source: https://www.laut.de/Andrew-W.K.

15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Ok.

Link not working.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Andrew WK - Band - Laut.de
    Porträt. laut.de-Biographie. Andrew W.K.. Mit blutiger Fresse und großspurigem Albumtitel "I Get Wet" präsentiert sich ein Milchbart aus L.A. der Musikszene ...

17. BagelShaggerz

Have a peek at this, or at least the introduction part of this video to hear the bits about his early life if the Wikipedia link isn't working. He's a very interesting guy. Very good in depth video that was done on him recently and was a joy to watch. The suicide prevention hotline basically made AWK their mascot for his music saving lives. That, his message and attitude.

Back in the day he had fans write or call in and he would just give them good life advice. He's a great dude and the real deal. He's not putting on a persona, he really is how you see him.

During one of his segments, I remember specifically one time a girl wrote him concerned about her boyfriend listening to "evil music" and he basically said "he's not going evil stuff is he? It's just music he enjoys" or something along these lines. Man I think we all at some point needed AWK to tell out girlfriends that so they don't make metal such a big deal in our teen years because heavy music should never have been made into the big deal it was made into for no reason. lol

18. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

@BEAT16 @BagelShaggerz & @samsome

Sorry it's due to my lack of attention.
    I mistakenly thought it was Cam Cole you were talking about - the original guitarist you were referring to.

My bad ;-)

19. samsome

samsome Guest

cam cole plays drums too...but same time as guitar :P

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. BagelShaggerz

Haha all good! I have a ton of moments like those too.
    This thread got me on a huge Andrew WK tip now. Re-listening to my favorite tracks by AWK.

Damn, this is badass! Thanks for putting me onto another great musician! Cam Cole is like a more upbeat Jack White with a bit of Gypsy RocknRoll attitude doing his one man band man gig like an octopus. Still a better drummer than Meg White doe and he's not even drumming with his hands or physically kicking his kick drum like Meg does neither!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I am now also joining the Cam Cole fan club ! Finally a talent again.

★ Cam Cole - Full Session - 2 Seas Sessions Bahrain - Session #17

Wipers-live "Youth of America" 13th Precinct 1983

The Wipers - Is This Real? (2001 Wipers Boxset Version)