Have you ever come up with a melody that doesn't fit into 12-TET?

Discussion in 'Education' started by DEGRAD, Nov 27, 2023.

1. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

The chromatic scale forms the basis of Western music. Have you ever hummed a melody that didn't fit the chromatic scale? In this situation you have doubted your melody and tried to put it in one of the keys inside the chromatic scale?
    As you know there are other tunings around the world and different countries, especially the eastern ones are very fond of their own conventional tunings and aren't willing to replace them with the Western 12-note tuning.
    If you randomly hum a melody and you like it, how will you mix it with western instruments? How will you know which tuning, your melody is compatible with?

3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

You clearly don't understand how music works. The pitches of your melody don't change, regardless of whatever scale you are trying to superimpose them on. if you hum A=440hz it's always the pitch A no matter what scale you put it in. Secondly, the pitches that you have chosen dictate what scale they belong to, you don't get to pick and choose.

And assuming those pitches can be played on "western instruments", the melody will still be exactly the same pitches. The only change will be timbre.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. T Frog

T Frog Member

That must be the most confident wrong answer I have ever read. It's wrong in so many ways it doesn't even address the original post.

Replying to OP: Yes, I have. Luckily string players are more and more used to quarter tones.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Very well, but after humming, you must ask yourself: is this what I really want or did I mis-hum it? If the intervals follow a "12-TET ratio", it might be the case that you just started off on the wrong foot.

6. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I didn't read your question because I know you're trolling so just I cut and pasted it into ChatGPT. Here's the response. I didn't read this either.

The chromatic scale is indeed fundamental to Western music, providing a framework for the twelve notes commonly used in Western tonal systems. However, many cultures around the world have their own unique tunings and scales. For example, various Eastern musical traditions often employ scales and tunings that differ significantly from the Western chromatic scale.

If you've hummed a melody that doesn't fit the chromatic scale, and you want to integrate it with Western instruments, there are several considerations:

1. Identify the Scale:
      • Analyze the notes of your melody and try to identify the scale it follows. Different cultures have their own scales, such as the pentatonic scales in many Asian traditions.
      • Determine if your melody fits a specific mode or scale, like a major scale, minor scale, or modes like Dorian or Mixolydian.
    2. Explore Microtonality:
      • Many Eastern musical traditions use microtonal intervals, which are intervals smaller than the half steps in the Western chromatic scale. Be aware of the specific microtonal intervals in your melody.
    3. Research Compatible Instruments:
      • Identify Western instruments that are capable of producing the necessary microtonal intervals or that are commonly used in the musical tradition you're drawing from.
    4. Experiment with Tuning:
      • Some Western instruments, like string instruments, allow for adjustments in tuning. Experiment with tuning adjustments to match the microtonal intervals of your melody.
    5. Collaborate with Musicians Familiar with Non-Western Tunings:
      • Collaborate with musicians who are familiar with non-Western tunings. They can provide valuable insights and help you adapt the melody to fit with Western instruments.
    6. Use Electronic Instruments:
      • Electronic instruments and synthesizers offer flexibility in tuning. They can be tuned to match non-Western scales, allowing you to integrate your melody seamlessly.
    7. Transcribe and Adapt:
      • Transcribe your melody into Western notation, and adapt it by adjusting the pitches to fit within the Western chromatic scale. This may involve altering certain intervals or notes to make the melody compatible.
    8. Blend Genres:
      • Consider creating a fusion of musical genres, incorporating elements from both Western and non-Western traditions. This approach allows for creative expression while acknowledging the unique qualities of each tradition.
    In summary, successfully integrating a melody with Western instruments involves understanding the specific scale or tuning of the melody, experimenting with tuning adjustments, and collaborating with musicians experienced in both Western and non-Western traditions. It's an exciting process that can lead to innovative and cross-cultural musical expressions.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

Thanks so much!:bow:

8. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

This is probably one of the things I'm most excited about ableton 12 for, the ability to apply non-standard tunings via Scala to projects! Lots of weird music is going to come out of that and it's going to interesting af to witness

9. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Yeah, kind of. I once had some chords in my head, but couldn't a) sing (not that I'm any good at that anyway!) or b) find on the keyboard. After a chat a friend kindly pointed me towards barbershop quartets, but it's not exactly melody as it's mostly harmony.

So I read up on it and it's based on just tuning and the characteristic is a major 7th chord with the seventh about a quarter note flat. So I've attempted to recreate it with a synth.

...I guess that counts. Otherwise I do like dicking about with various microtunings (like the quarter-note tunings in Arabic music), but that's just seeing what comes out with no rhyme or reason.

These bastards can sing though!

10. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

11. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Considering the OP is @Foster, they are not really worth answering. He asked five questions by the way, not just one.

Also, if you hum a melody with specific pitches those pitches change based on the instrument you play said melody on?