Have the cracks in recent years helped you get over GAS?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moonlightfiasco, Nov 26, 2023.

1. moonlightfiasco

moonlightfiasco Member

Seems like in the last few years we've been getting closer and closer to having nearly all of the major FX developer's collections cracked (Still holding out for UAD). I've found it fascinating watching the opinions on the plug-ins shift after they become available to all for testing, and I've actually found it a really positive experience in helping me to move on from chasing that next plug-in.

When the PA collection dropped last Xmas, I was so eager to finally get my hands on the Shadow Hills and try out a lot of the other stuff on offer in that collection. Since then, only MetricAB (which I had beforehand) found a permanent home in my plug-in collection. SHMC is good no doubt, but it wasn't the game changer I hyped myself into believing it was. Same with the Lindell stuff, townhouse etc.

Since then I've settled on using mostly Arturia FX stuff and find it bridges the perfect balance between fast workflow, and good sound. The collection definitely isn't perfect and is missing some bits I'd like such as a Pultec and Fairchild, but all in all, I like the results I get. If UAD is ever dropped I'll most likely migrate to those exclusively, one day hopefully.

Now, onto the AA release, which I haven't partaken in. It's been interesting to see the opinions of these plug-ins now that veil of scarcity is gone. Personally I have disliked their GUI since I saw Taupe and had a look at their other offerings a few years back. They come across as plug-ins that are good for people who like to tinker and experiment, but nothing about them really looks all that intuitive from the outside. Interesting to see people comment how they do sound decent, but you can get nearly indistinguishable results these days using stuff that is already out there with lower CPU/intuitive GUIs.

My plug-in folder has gotten smaller and smaller over the years, and it's strange to think it's actually due to more and more of these plug-ins being available online. Just wondering if anybody else is having a similar experience?