Have a listen to my new track. Feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by atmos1, Sep 17, 2016.

1. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

hi all! This is my newest track. This is different from the past ones I have made since it is my first time using hardware synths. It was a great experience, hopefully you can hear it and write your input.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

It sounds like something Foster 911 might produce, if he were able to complete a track. Come on Foster! I'm rooting for you!

4. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

Very analogish synths! :wink: what is this?
    I think hihat sounds bit loud.

5. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

The sounds are nice, structure throws me a little. Fly out with the next one mate, keep em coming.

6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It's quite nice in teh sky! Hypnotic space thing works well. I liked the layery build up / cool down: fairly well judged. Fine overall, some good sounds. Sry if following seems bit brutal, just meant 2b straight 2 point: main problem is ur snare sound, which is all white noisey fuzz & no snare =) Maybe use a "real" snare mixed with teh noise? Also, panning! Stereo width! Try it sometime? Those arps (3:00 etcs) rly need some panning left right 2 give u a saucery sorcery floating around & up vibe. Can always use LFO / automate / whatevs if u can't be bothered 2 use controller? Create a bit more stereo space with the rest, cos everything is stuffed in teh middle. Some of the pad bits @ start (& continued) feel a bit unfinished / uninspired?

Some lead bits also need a bit of work; I think the (pretty predictable) melody idea (1:13 / 2:30 ish) needs diff instrument & more work - it seems like a temp idea that u "got used 2". Also, a bit more of filter / res sweep wouldn't be out of place? @ any point? =) Also, i think (?), u start a call / response part ~4:24, which only has a call part, oops! Crying out for "response" from diff instrument / timbre / filter. U could rly build that part up almost 2 crescendo, then teh cut @ end would b amazeballs! Rather than just *shrug* that's it...

But, y'know, opinions... :D

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

love it man.
    very retro sound, did something similar a long time ago.

I would not change a thing in the bed of the song, the HF balance probably could use a tweak, gets a little fatiguing sonically after a while, but the structure and everything is very well done, needs some interest flair (ear candy) here and here and some EQ.

Great job man.

8. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Thank you all for your comments.
    I will check out foster 911 productions... Thanks!

9. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Hi there! That is bc I used an alesis ion, which is a virtual analog... then there is a korg poly 800 and a yamaha dx7fdII... Not analog, but nice synths actually. Thanks, I will check that hihat.

10. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Hmm I went for a change in the structure. That may be it why it took you by surprise... We are very into number 4 multiples in song structure... That can change right? Maybe if I change it to 5? ... Our brain is always counting... Cheers!

11. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Opinion matters mate! One can not thank enough when someone takes their time to share his ideas. I will carefully ponder your input. I already can see a few of your points... Thanks!

12. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Awesome! I have been into 80ish sounds for a bit now... I got rid of my softsynths and went for real hardware. That made a huge change in what I want musically.
    I thank you for your kind words and feedback. They mean a lot. Cheers.

13. kjfarrell

Hey man, you can definitely go 5, but you need to do it a special way, well you do and you don't. Check this vid out.

14. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Thanks for the video! I don't quite agree with the point you are making.
    Going for those little things in a song (like counting 5s) is a matter of inspiration... A way to express yourself better, to get your point across, to break free of the mold.
    That is why I don't concur. I really don't believe musical expression needs to be done in "special way(s)"

"I'm fascinated by musicians who don't completely understand their territory; that's when you do your best work."
    Brian Eno

15. kjfarrell

Oh I only mean if you play with 5's and your aiming for a dance floor, if you don't do it in a certain way it can sound jarring and not so great for dance floors. I was just making a generalisation really. But really I agree with you, make the music you want to listen too and what speaks to you. So I retract my statement and bow my head :)

16. atmos1

atmos1 Ultrasonic

Oh... I guess I didn't understand what you mean then LOL.
    It still is wounderful to exchange ideas and point of views. Anyhow, thanks for your input mate, I really appreciate it.
    Cheers!

17. notremid

notremid Producer

Pretty cool. Only thing I can say is maybe make it a bit shorter as some parts just drag on a little.

18. It's way, way too hot at the top end, 12K and beyond, and that makes it very exhausting to listen to. You should invest in a copy of Voxengo's free SPAN analyser and compare your track to any kind of music you like. You are using naff monitoring, I suspect.

19. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Keeping it simple... it needs producing properly including a lot of work needed with eq and much better mixing then we'll be able to hear everything clearly. Secondly, as I think alluded to above, in the 80s we were fascinated by these new artificial 'sounds' and 'noise' and it's obvious that you're enjoying the sounds that your real synths can make, but today you need to do something more to those sounds to get listeners interested otherwise halfway through it just sounds boring. Even Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' has some very interesting phasing work done to those 'sounds' to make it interesting, give it another listen for inspiration. Musically, not very inspired but I think this is all about what I mentioned about making it sound interesting. Keep at it. Use this as a starting point and build much more on it.

20. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I like it just the way it is.
    Nice to see someone else using hardware. Do you record in live, or record parts and construct in your DAW?
    If it's being recorded in live, even with the greatest intention, it tends to come out on the long side. It takes a lot of practice playing each track, and getting the timing right, especially if you're controlling 3 or more pieces of hardware. Sometimes you just get carried away.

21. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Sounds very mono. I like the classic feel, nonetheless. Sounds video game-ish.