Has anyone used a professional mixing/mastering engineer who mixed/mastered for famous artists

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Jul 19, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

Has anyone used a professional mixing/mastering engineer who mixed/mastered for famous artists

did you get good results?

any recommendation?

thanks

3. Lube Bag

Lube Bag Producer

Best Answer
    I’ve worked with several “A-list” mastering folks on a variety of projects over the years, and continue to do so.

The results have been great, yes, but I feel I need to point out that the reason the results were great is that the results at every stage of the project were also top-notch, and working together harmoniously to create the end product.

What I mean by that is that mastering isn’t the kind of magic bullet that so many people seem to think it is - if the writing, arrangement, performances, production, programming, tracking, editing, and mixing aren’t all super on-point already, then mastering isn’t gonna change that very much, (and is actually more likely to expose the flaws in the previous stages even more).

If all the things I’ve just mentioned are where they need to be, and the final mix is already at the point where you could quite comfortably just export it and release it as-is, then yeah, working with (and building up a good working relationship with) a top-tier mastering engineer can be invaluable, and be the little finishing bit of fairy dust on top of an already fantastic production/mix.

They can also give you really useful input on a track during the mixing process, if you feel you’re maybe losing some objectivity, and could use a completely outside, unbiased set of ears on something.

Since they’re also 100% working in a much better-sounding room than you are, they can sometimes spot and flag up issues with a mix so you can correct them before you send them the final export - that way they’re not having to try to correct issues you could have resolved much more easily and effectively.

(You shouldn’t be relying on this kinda consultation every mix you do obviously - I’m talking about this happening maybe once out of every 40-50 mixes you do, if there’s a specific issue - 98% of the time, you should have the experience to recognise these things yourself).

Good mastering is not some kinda shortcut to a fantastic end result, and you’re not gonna be able to “hide behind it”.

One thing I’ve noticed when working with ME’s who are working at a very high level - they don’t feel the need to “leave their mark” on the material like so many less experienced folks do - they’re not making big dramatic eq moves, or slapping on 5 different stereo wideners, before slamming the level to some insane figure.

On quite a few occasions, I’ve had mixes I’ve done end up being mastered completely flat from an eq standpoint - indeed, I’m literally trying to aim for that to happen every time, because it means I’m getting the mix to where it needs to be in the first place!
    If your ME is routinely needing to make moves of more than about 1-2db anywhere in the spectrum (and even that’s usually pushing it) then you’ve not really done your job correctly.

Same kinda philosophy holds true for dynamics, stereo field processing, etc.

You asked for recommendations, and based on the (literally) 28 other threads you’ve created within the last 10 days - most of which are addressing very basic topics (which is ofc totally fine - we all had to learn, and start somewhere!) - my strong recommendation to you would be to spend time getting to grips with the basics of your craft, and figuring out, over time by yourself, the answers to the many threads you’ve created, and through learning by actually doing.

I obviously haven’t heard any of your stuff, so I’m just basing this off reading the threads you’ve been starting, and from that, here’s the bottom line:

At this stage in your career/development, I think you would absolutely be wasting your money by paying out $300-500+ per track to work with a top-level mastering engineer.

You’ll be going into it with massively unrealistic expectations, and setting yourself up for nothing but disappointment with the results.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I asked @No Avenger to mix and master some hiphop for me and add some subtle lofi scratches. This is what I got back ;____;
    [​IMG]

Never trust an engineer until you know they don't use their studio as a scratching post!

5. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

Lately, I've noticed two schools of thoughts regarding the word "mastering." I've seen a few record companies say," Send us your two track unmastered and we'll master it, and that is, it must at least -3dB from 0." This is odd to me because I'm used to mastering where an engineer has all the stems and a reference recording of what the final product should resemble, not just two tracks. Really, if their idea of mastering is just raising the levels and apply a little EQ, anybody can do that. Hell, any of these newfangled AI tools can do that in seconds.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry. :sad: [​IMG]

7. No Avenger

This.

8. No Avenger

Simple answer would be, my clients. :winker:

9. DAW

DAW Kapellmeister

My little myself mastered 38 albums in total, of whose 21 albums / CDs by " me " and by close friends composers / bands. I thought I may be the best around to master those myself - as I had recorded them -...
    Well...
    I still fear today I might put one of those in the player and suddenly hear a tremendous " error " which I'll regret for eternity. 2 of them are said to have a more than excellent sound but I still suppose that it's thanks to the " simple " content - guitars, amps ! - and 2 of my guitar heroes " invités ".

But this is all over, with its stress. I try to get a " best possible mix ", and send the albums I've worked on to a mastering studio. Fresh ears. It's a necessity.

For years, here :

Yves Delaunay / Studios Dyam / Paris ( ended in 2007 )

http://www.discogs.com/fr/artist/497537-Yves-Delaunay

Then here :

http://lasourcemastering.com/

http://www.discogs.com/fr/label/310452-La-Source-Mastering

Otherwise, the job sent me to visit Gateway Mastering, meeting with Bob Ludwig 2 times and I still haven't recovered. Also, for one particular album, with George Massenburg, same impression. You know : it's as if you look at Star Wars in the cinema, but here, and now, you have Master Yoda for REAL standing in front of you !

Both EXTREMELY kind and more than happy to share their knowledge, I must add that :yes: .

Mr. Ludwig was so quick, so precise, so " perfect " if I may say, it would have taken me a week to do what he just did in 1 hour. For sure his amazing gear helps too. But his ears, and years of experience !
    There would be several anecdotes to tell but I will stop at this one: for my anxiety about errors during printing, so particularly on tape, he showed me some files he got - a particular one from a metal band terribly known worldwide - . You should have seen the aspect of the stereo wave of the section he zoomed in... Several brief sections. The wave looked like a crumpled piece of paper tossed in the trash. The mixing guy must have been drunk :-((

EDIT :

As a concluding idea : I tried at one time to buff one of my guitars myself. Oh my... I stopped quickly and sent it to a luthier - who's amazing job I knew since years -.

So, as an analogy to mastering : " FINISH " 16:07 min etc. =>

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022