Has anyone tried Sonar Platinum? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Voo, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

I'm curious what people think of Sonar.
    It looks like it has great addons. Z3TA , Addictive drums etc etc, Yeah I know I can run those outside Sonar.

Big question is has this DAW improved over the years??

3. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

I have not installed it yet out of concern it will interfere with Sonar X3, but when I do I will let you know. I have been using Cakewalk since version 1, it came on 1 floppy disk complete. I have been using Sonar for years, X3 has been stable since I installed it, others seem to have issues but it has been great for me. The standard plug-ins are pretty awesome as you mentioned and anything I throw at it works fine, 32 bit or 64 bit, I think it has a built in bridge. So the short answer from my point of view is it has improved over the years, why not give it a try.

4. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

As an ex-Cubase (v5.5) user, and now a Studio One v3 user; i have recently tried Sonar Platinum v21.x. Despite of it being a recently released version, the GUI and workflow approach is of an ancient era... (same things i achieve in a few clicks in S1 takes some tremendous dialog boxes clicking and annoying options/setting choices and clicking again in SONAR etc), through my short testing process i have WTF'ed several times and had that feeling in my mind 'wow.. to do this, i have to do that? thats pretty much retarded' , so i got enough of it and it is definitely not a DAW i will use in 2016. Now i know what is it, I have uninstalled it and will never bother again about it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. M.O.S.T. Music

M.O.S.T. Music Newbie

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is an "A-Z" type of software from tracking to mixing to mastering and, it's all readily available with the touch on your number pad. The software is not lightweight like Reaper, per say. It deserves a strong powerhouse system to really shine as to its much improved (but still can hog your average PC) CPU usage. But the quality (in my opinion) overall, (from the internal plugins, constant development and updates to software and extraordinary customer support), is why (I think) Sonar is a phenomenal "All-in-One" D.A.W.. These days, I prefer different software for different tasks. But you should definitely try before you buy. It's out there....free....what can it hurt.

If you do try, skip the BS (soundsets add-ons, etc.) Just use the software and included plugins along with your current favs.

So. Yes, its improved. I've been using since 8.x (i don't even remember) and its always improved year by year.

Obviously, D.A.W. preference IS partial to task, PC performance, Audio Interface, Mixer(board), compatibility, drivers...ec. and the only opinion which will matter in the end is your own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

In all fairness S1 from its birth was designed to have a drag and drop GUI. Its really unfair to compare it in that way.
    I too have been using S1 and cannot wait to see what they do with it on the 25th.

Things that interests me is the midi implementation in Sonar.. that looks pretty slick from some tutorials.

If I could Frankenstein a DAW I would be in heaven.

I like the clip area of Ableton, FLstudio midi editing, Bridge of Reaper, Object editing of Samplitude etc etc etc

7. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

It is a capable DAW but I personally don't like the diffuculty in setting up instrument tracks. Also,
    it still does not recognize Waves plug-ins except for the Butch Vig vocal bundle. Odd..

It also does not recognize Cakewalk's own Z3TA+. Again Odd.

Cakewalk at one time was very straight foward and easy to use. Sonar has been a exercise
    of trying ones patience. Although Digital Performer requires seperate MIDI and instrument tracks
    as well, the setup is much easier in DP.

I find the VSTis included with Sonar are thin sounding. Reminds me of Sampletank.

Wuld recommend Studio One 3 over Sonar.

BTW.. Log off or restart your system before launching Sonar after install. This
    should solve the DEMO mode problem. Did for me.

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

It has its ups and its downs.. I know... profound.

Main thing that irritates me is its plugin management and its instrument tracks, both seem buggy and awkward...

which sucks as I love the UI.

Ill keep it installed and fool around with it periodically.

Waves shows up fine for me, but i had to go into the plugin manager and drag them all into a waves folder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

To me, same boat than Protools : if you are used to it, you can go fast.
    When you come from a more "modern" DAW, written from scratch with simplicity and drag'n drop in mind (Live, S1...), it is just not bearable.
    Every time i try back an old fashioned DAW, i feel like 20 years back. Worst experience being Protools. I felt back in the 80's...:rofl:

The same way, i NEVER liked Cubase. Any version. Even if i LOVE those Midi features.
    Like i love FL Studio midi piano roll...but hate playlist implementation.

I know it may be not fair to compare new vs old DAWs.
    I know those "old fashioned" DAWs pack a great bunch of features and power...but features are stacked like a pile of boxes every year.
    Stacked since the 80's or 90's, for some of them. And their "GUI rewritten from scratch" is a pure joke. They NEVER rewrite from scratch.
    And that's the problem.

There are two ways being efficient on a DAW : using it for a long time OR being a new DAW, with faster workflow learned from the past.
    Even if it lacks some features.

Cubase, Protools, Sonar, FL Studio...rely on the first.
    Live, S1, Bitwig...rely on the second. And now, some ppl add the first point (like the "old" Live).

When i want inspiration, i don't want to feel like being in front of an average 80-90's soft, GUI/workflow wise. Of course, some ppl go over it.
    Not me :dunno:

Too bad, because Sonar bundle is impressive. Almost like Logic one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

Make a search in VST3 instruments, dude.

11. Jay Weed

Jay Weed Ultrasonic

depends on what you are doing with the DAW. Gutiar playing or vsti playing. I love the workflow and it is simple enough to use. click record and play they have added a lot of functionality in the last year and its really a strong platform now especially with the ARA integration of melodyne. I am wondering how it will work with other versions though if you know what I mean. I have the full legit platinum version and wonder what will happen if I add in melodyne studio from our sister site. I am looking at also using Digital Perfomer as well down the road due to its higher resolution of PPQ.

12. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

Sound engine is getting really good now and stability goes better and better.
    Many improvements were made as time goes by and most of them are truly good.
    But consider it's a really rich interface with a lot of possibilities and options so you need to learn the basics to start having fun with.

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Pipotron3000
    Tom Holkenborg(Junkie XL) and Hans Zimmer are two of the most demanded composers currently in Holywood,they both work with Cubase 8.5.
    If Cubase was as slow to work with as some people think they would have been working with other DAWS.
    These two composers each work on several projects per year and you cant do that with a slow DAW.
    For me the difference is like driving a car with a manual transmission vs an automatic,its a bit more work but at least you are in full control.

14. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

About things like GUI, do you really think Live looks smarter than SONAR does since they released the X Series ?
    Live's GUI was almost never improved since it came out in 2001 and from this point of view, that's the one looking outdated to my eyes .

Workflow is a different thing.
    These DAW's you named just don't answer the same needs.
    Like comparing a shovel and a pickaxe.
    You may need one, you may need both but they don't dig the same.

15. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

yeah, that made me horny and made me download the r2r-release
    i've used sonar many years ago to make 5-10 house/techno tracks, was quite happy then - but i am a live user now who wants to switch to reaper

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

they both get a hard-on from their BIG templates but make middle of the road muzzak nowadays imho, maybe i 'm just jealous though : )

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

TMI dude. :deep_facepalm:

18. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

well said Nawhak

I've been using sonar for years, and seen it change over the last few version. and I agree with Nawhak the sound engine and stability have really improved.

I also agree with others who post that its a very involved DAW, and just understanding how to do the basics in it can be overwhelming. but by the same statement, I would say it can dig deeper/and more finite modification across the board. comping, stretching, midi'ing. even higher level treatments. (I know, Cubase and logic shine on higher level treatments too). as each DAW has its area that its good at, Sonar it the one I would reach for to get it lined up right

19. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

I agree the ui graphically looks great.

20. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

I think i'm going to give it a go.
    I've used 8.5 and enjoyed it.Kind of drifted away on X3 because Studio One drew me in but it seems like the projects are way too big.I didn't have many and most off them were just 20-30 audio tracks but it took up way too much space.
    Those same projects in Pro Tools were considerably smaller.But,it can't hurt to give it a try.

21. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Upon further exploration I finally tricked Sonar into loading all of the Waves plug-ins by pointing to the Waveshells
    folder, removing Waveshells from the scan path, exiting. After relaunch and scanning, VST3 Waveshells now show all
    available plugins in Sonar's organized categories (crashed during first rescan).

Sonar has another issue I discovered. Recreates the default C:\Cakewalk Projects folder location even though
    the preferences and registry setting are all set to my custom location. The default open and save locations
    are set to my custom preference hwen used though. Very strange...

Sonar crashed randomly while setting up tracks for a multi-out VSTi before it could be saved. Will give one more
    try to see what happens next.

Audio seems to be okay and neutral so far. Will know for sure with a full project setup and functioning.