Has anyone tested the Sonarworks Reference 3.2 Headphone plugin?

Discussion in 'Software' started by phloopy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I guess the title says all.

Any experiences?

Cheers

3. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Yes, works very well. I have only tried the Mac AU version. It removed quite a bit in the 100 - 150HZ area with my ATH M50s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Those are the cans that I use. What was the Q and amount attenuated at which frequencies by the software, do you know?

5. ajuna

ajuna Noisemaker

Why you not buy a reference headphone lime shure srh1840 ?

6. TW

TW Guest

Tested the Demo.
    I use AKG K812 and a pair of Beyerdynamic dt 990.

I like Toneboosters morphit more. I dont know which one is more accurate. But in my case i never ever used my headphones in both softwares completly flat. Sounded on both headphones dull and not flat like a pair of good monitors. I guess thats because even great monitors in a great room are never really 100% flat. All i do is "morph" ;) them flatter to my tastes. And then i use waves nx. Good results with both - I did not do any test. But morphit seems to use less cpu power and does the same. And its just a straight forwad super simple interface. Thats why i ended up with morphit. Oh and its only 30 bucks ;)

But like i said both programs in combination with nx give you a great result. I recommed Sonarworks reference or a similar software.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Not sure exactly, they use presets for different headphones. But it cleaned my mixes up in a good way and translated well to my Focal monitors. There may be a frequency chart on their site.

8. Thanks a lot for getting back. I'll check it out. I generally pull down about 3dB at about 110 and 2dB at around 7k normally. I am very used to hearing music through these headphones for the last seven or eight years, I know them like the back of my hand, but it is interesting to see what others have to say.

9. fritzm

fritzm Producer

That sounds about right to my ears, also.

10. Euphonic

Euphonic Member

Yes I have had the best results with this plugin

11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It works great with my seinnheiser hd 25 C II...If your model of headphone is included in the list they have, it's a good investement. You can simulate different models and environnements too, and the possibility to tweak the phase response of the filters used is a very nice plus.
    Also Sonarworks often do sales on their products, which is when I bought reference 3, they send me promotion like all the time.

12. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Tested the demo for a few hours now on my AKG 271 mk2 headphones and it seems to work ok!

Thanks for feedbacks :wink::wink:

13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Talmi, is the C irrelevant? i only find hd 25 II

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

what intrigues me a bit is, in my case the plugin will flat the curve so the track will not (in my case ) sound as thumpy

then you will try to mix and achieve that curve to get that pleasant sound

then the track will be almost unbearably bassy if listened to by someone with the same headphones but without the correction? or am i thinking wrong

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

The HD 25 II has several models, but it's just the shape and type of the cable that changes, they all have the same audio properties. There is one which is different in its impedance, it's the HD 25-13-II, but the three others HD 25 II just differ in their cable. The correction curve is good for all of them.

And yeah it's kind of the problem with this headphone (and djs love it for that) it adds way too much bass, if you mix with this headphone only and no reliable monitors the correction tool comes in handy or your tracks will lack bass (as the headphone leads you to think that it's all good in that area when it's not)

16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

oh, ok great thanks.
    yes, i like them for dj mixing since you hear the kick clearly etc.

i have other headphones but yeah it suddenly stroke me that one shouldn't mix productions to hot because then many people if you do it a bit over the top they will not even be able to listen if wearing such earpieces it will just rumble.

17. Pule

Pule Producer

Sonarworks - neutral, best for mixing and compatibility, Tonebooster Moorphit - loudness, for hifi listening. I use sonarworks in classical music production, (Hdphx and studio calibration) and translation is exceptionally good.