Has Anyone Solved the Self Tangling Wires Problem?

Discussion in 'Education' started by jeffglobal, May 30, 2016.

1. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Case 1:
    half tangled.jpg
    This is half untangled, until I got disgusted again.

Now I did read a proof somewhere, it may have been a topology proof, idr, but it said that if left by themselves, strings would tangle up by themselves. It could have been something like this too:
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/s...entific-explanation-earphones-always-tangled/

I haven't put a camera on my wires yet, but it sure looks like they do. I go from untangled to full ball of knots in less than a week.

Any suggestions? I've put those plastic restraints on the wires like wire versions the cops use to handcuff ppl (zip ties? idr), but the wires always need to be released to have a little more length...

3. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I'm very interested in what people use for cable management as well. If you have a good viable solution, please share.

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

cable ties or cleats. i do strongly belief there is an underlying law of physics yet to be discovered that will convince people this is real phenomena :)
    actually i also use those little ties or 'twists' you get when you buy new headphones or what-not. just twirl them ties around and live in a 'clump free' zone..

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

@jeffglobal Roll your cables and the problem is gone.

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

it just .... happens.. I have many free cables.. yet I still have this wad that seems to be taking years to unravel.... :facepalm:

sorry no pic as yet.. I had to put it out of sight to relieve my disgust...

7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I do like using velcro tapes although they're only worth so much when you always have a few cables that you attach or disconnect in an often-changing setup, and I guess that's your issue too.
    So no, I don't have a really good solution, except for doing as much as possible inside the computer, and waiting for a future universal solution like wireless power etc.
    Well, one thing that helped quite a bit is mounting the power distribution right under the desk so at least power and audio cables will remain somewhat separate.

8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    This is my solution to tangled cables:
    [​IMG]

It's just regular wire clothes hangers. They are on the back wall so they contribute to dispersing the sound waves behind my desk. This and Velcro strips. These are very cheap, around two dollars a pack of 50 strips:

[​IMG]

9. Infidel

Infidel Producer

That looks like a fire hazard WOW!!

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The secret is to iron them, but just make sure the iron is very hot :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Not at all. Rockwool is actually fire retardant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Okay, Jeff. Here's what's going on: There's a supernatural pseudo-demonic alien life-form in your house or studio that's possessing the wires to have minds of their own so they can tangle up like that on their own - solely just to piss you off. I need you to follow my orders step by step to solve this appropriately. Okay? Good.
    1. Buy a gun.
    2. Put it under your pillow when you go to sleep at night.
    3. Buy some shriveled raccoon scrotums and goat's rectums.
    4. Plaster it on the closest walls around your bed - this attracts them.
    5. Find some stinky shoes (if you're a guy, all you probably have to do is look down and there will be like 8 pairs of stinky shoes) and put them on the counter or night stand. The odor of stinky shoes makes the creatures visible to the naked eye.
    6. Lay down and pretend you're asleep.
    7. When you hear anything, get up immediately with the gun and start shooting in all directions.
    8. Go back to making some music. Thank me later.
    Lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I use spiral conduit.
    [​IMG]
    The advantage of the spiral design is that you're able to pull out various lengths sideways along the length of the tube.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

@mercurysoto and @DarthFader ok, ty, I'll try both. For some reason the few times I've gotten the velcro straps on things, I never put the 2 and 2 together. I just hated to cut the freakin zip ties all the time. The conduit also is interesting for the length options.

@Impressive You're lucky ur a kitten and your balls haven't dropped yet. Given physicists have found evidence the universe maybe just a simulation, you never know, e.g.,
    http://www.space.com/32543-universe-a-simulation-asimov-debate.html

@Infidel I actually have a fire extinguisher in the room. I think dying from being burned if you're lucky enough not to die just from the smoke inhalation (which usually happens first) is a bad way to go. Worse is if you get burned and don't die...all my FDNY Haz-Tac training I took very seriously. The only time I'd get to use the SCBA outside of training, was in a Level A CBC suit (like on the Andromeda Strain) so that would be a really bad day.
    [​IMG]
    Try taking a pulse with 5 gloves on. We called it "kick" triage, you kicked the body, if it moved, it was Red, if it didn't move it was Black.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I use this. Cheap af on Ebay.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Actually, the cat in that pic 3½ years old now. That's my cat. He does have balls. A very large pair.
    Interestingly, this does relate to the topic. He actually tore/chewed up a couple of my cables to the point they were rendered useless. I guess that partially saves the cluster-fucking of wires - get a frisky/wild animal in there. Preferably something large. Like a Caucasian Ovtcharka dog or Rottweiler or something. LOL

17. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

I'm still excited at the reusable ties that are cheap.
    [Edit] The wires have started protesting, setting up an "Occupy Jeff Street" saying they will not get tied down, no matter what. There seems to be another group of illegal wires funded by George Soros protesting they "will not be excluded." I'm gonna have a big mess to clean up.

You ever try to confuse a Rottweiler? My crazy cousin had a female, which I thought I could lift because it was ~100lbs, but first, it's freakin head was as big as mine (but all teeth) and it didn't get confused at all. So, I thought I'd just lift it to show dominance, cause, that's one bad ass dog, but she immediately went limp, and it's skin was so lax I couldn't really get a good grip. I think she turned her head, looked at me and smiled/laughed. I told her, "ok, you win" and I'm pretty sure she said, "yeah, I know."

Imagine 100s or 1,000s of them running at you and all you have is a pike/shield or sword/shield? I've never met other war dogs, but it would suck if they were smart too!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

19. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Most important to avoid cable-spaghetti is how you roll your cables. The 'over-under method' is the best way to avoid tangles, but for best results it should be done from the start of the 'cable life', not when it's already crinkled. Video:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Baxter's suggestion is very good at about $5, but you get 10 strips. It is very adhesive, but maybe overkill for the purpose. My suggestion is cheaper; you get 50 strips. The size is about 5cm each, and they are pre-cut, so there's no magic around it, and since you get two colors, gray and black, you can organize cables efficiently. For example, I use the gray ones for cables used in recording and the black ones for everyday use, cables that can be broken and re-soldered or otherwise.

21. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I have an idea but it most likely wont catch on.

How about two part bluetooth cables. Each two part set would have a plug and blue tooth adapter, thus eliminating any cables. it would all work on the blue tooth network.