Has anyone done the mastering.com course?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by gjones42, May 25, 2022.

1. gjones42

gjones42 Newbie

Im super interested in this course. I have read a bit about it on reddit so far, and i do see a lot of people saying dont do it, all of the info is on youtube for free. What has my attention though is that they will give you a bunch of tracks to master, and provide feedback on, as well as a bunch of exercises for ear training and such. Its not so much the knowledge that im looking for, im just looking for the quickest way to get my ears up to par, and essentially practice a bunch of mastering. Is there anyone who has done this course, that could share their experience? Thank you!

3. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

The problem I have with any mastering course is that while it can teach you the fundamental theory (crest factors, PSR, PLR etc) it can't give you the requisite requirements of any great mastering engineer; adaptive listening skills, an auditory memory, £20,000 (or more) speaker monitors, excellent converters and a properly treated environment. If you can't hear it, you can't fix it. And for mastering, you really need to hear the finest details of the music, otherwise you're just guessing what to do at the low end.

Of course, if you have all the above, then go for the mastering course. Although if you have all the above, you don't need a course on mastering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

To complement Spartan answer : you first need to master "regular" mixing, to train your ears.
    And after that, if you already paid thousands for monitors, room treatment and more, you can pay the course.

BUT if you are starting from scratch, without treated room and audio system, it is almost useless to pay any course.
    Start with YT videos.

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

This cannot be forced and certainly not in such a short time. Take your time and invest a few years, the
    better hearing will come all by itself. Buy a few books by Bobby Owsinski and Bob Katz, for example.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It's indeed hard to choose a course because there are good ones. I don't know if it's one of them.
    What I can recommend strongly is this:
    I mean, I can't recommend enough this site to learn and practice

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I agree that masternig requires a lot of expensive tools and lots of practice to be done right. But the way i see it OP is not planning on becoming an actual mastering engineer. In that scenario, a course that gives some useful orientation and feedback doesn't really sound like a bad idea, as long as the price is right (i don't know how much does Masering.com charge for the course or what the content is, apparently you need to email them and hell no).

This. One thing that many courses do is give you tracks that already sound "good", or that only contain the mistakes they are trying to adess on the excercise. Here you can get stuff that needs a lot of work or not so much.

9. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I'm an aspiring mastering engineer myself. Over the last 9 years I've watched all the youtube videos, paid money for various online courses. In the end i reached a plateau -- there's only so much you can level up from watching videos. They help for sure, but the REAL level up is by DOING. The true growth happens when you simply mix and/or master a lot. Only from direct experience can you improve your ears, improve your troubleshooting, learn what problems are more common than others, learn which of your tools perform better or worse in certain scenarios, identify what areas you need to improve on, tighten your workflow, etc. Only through practice and experimentation will you have those discovery moments where you invent your own "tricks", and when that happens they become truly internalized (unlike learning them from videos). If you don't have those moments, then every master you get hired for will take 10x longer than usual because you spend so much time experimenting around trying all the different compressors in your toolbox. We've all been there!

At a certain point, eventually watching tutorial videos/courses becomes procrastination from putting in the actual practice hours. The sooner an aspiring engineer realizes this the sooner they can expedite their growth curve

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Train your Ears - Ear Training for Sound Engineers
    www.trainyourears.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlM_b8uvX8AIVbIBQBh31pA2xEAAYASAAEgIHJfD_BwE

Conclusion:
    EQ Edition 2 is fun! But what is even more important: It works. If you do continuous ear training with the program, you will definitely and in quite a short time make progress, notice an improvement in change hearing and thus gain a deeper understanding of the way an equalizer works. Almost incidentally, you will learn in which frequency ranges different instruments sound particularly good, and this knowledge will result in a much more concrete sound idea combined with a more efficient way of working, replacing erratic (and tiring) trial and error when editing the frequency response. Which will ultimately result in a tidier frequency response and thus better sounding mixes.

11. Madison Henderson

Madison Henderson Newbie

I was looking at the course but when I examined the syllabus with a friend, he pointed me to a book that had the same content as the entire course called “the reverse engineer method” by Alex Wolfcastle.