Harrison MPC Channel, a $1.5k channel strip - Is it that good ?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Stevie Dude, Feb 25, 2021.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Agreed of course. And this video is legit alright. At the very least, the guy on your post, even in his very first yt video ever, he proved he's a professional and provided a true listening comparison with the real thing, settings matched and so on, even going the extra mile and comparing how does the plug sound in PT's vs Harrison's own summing.
    Thnx for posting mate. At least now we have an idea of how close this thing is to the actual Harrison CS and just wait for the VST version hehe.
    PS: Someone must tell him the US Army baseball cap is a no no lol. But it's ok, it's his first video. Nice job i'd say.

2. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

oh, it's a digital console ? didn't know that. lol.

If im not mistaken the Sonnox plugins (channel strips) are based on a digital console (R3) as well right ? I'm not sure about this because the the EQ have SSL, Neve curve plus one with Massenburg and all. Those aren't bad at all.

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

just realize it didn't even support their own DAW. lol :deep_facepalm:

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:yes: I once saw a vid in which they compared the EQ plugin with the one of the console. The result was very frustrating - for the console owner. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

TBH, I have no idea how the console sounds, is it really that bad ? lol. imma find that video now, youtube isn't it ?

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

If you can remember the video that would be awesome!

But for a digital console, the only thing you can model is the preamps, right? Maybe in certain cases the output but that would be very niche.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Probably, but I can't remember which at all.

AFAIK the plugins don't model the AD-DA converters but use the same algos as the console. So when you use the plugins in a DAW and run it through the console it sounds pretty much the same as the console's EQ (compressor, ...) And since this console at least once was expensive as hell ('With a base price of $1 million, the OXF-R3...'), the owner didn't look very happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Before I would spen 1.5k on a plugin I'd rather buy an analog summing box.

9. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

same, add $500 (to that 1.5k), you'll get a Neve. I want this one but the pandemic keep saying no. :sad: #offtopic

https://www.rupertneve.com/products/5057-orbit/

Screenshot_2021-02-26 5057-front-white jpg (JPEG Image, 1800 × 1800 pixels) — Scaled (55%).png

10. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

Give me his installer and I'll sell it to you for a quarter of the price.

11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

As most people have already figured out this is kind of targeted at a very specific audience. Harrison have a good relationship and good penetration in the film post business but as large as those consoles look you sometimes need even more channels or offsite processing either to offload a channel on the console before or after a final montage is made.

The consoles are integrated with AVID control surfaces and DSP so if you need to make a last minute change to dialogue / sound / fx you can do this at a workstation with supposedly 100% transparency without having to tie up the console or cause conflicts with the people who are scheduled to use it. The expensive part here is transparency with the console, but it's also the cheapest part as well as the more instances of plugin your run the less expensive it gets versus the console. The large post outlets that use Harrison asked for this as a business need Harrison obliged but a price that will not put them out of business and a price which is trivial to large post house since the logistical flexibility it offers can cover $1500 in less than 2 mins of schedule conflict.

This plugin isn't meant to be a mass market product, it seems like Harrison thought it would be a good idea to see if they could get some penetration in smaller markets like local broadcast or ad houses which might rent time on Harrison equipment. I however, I seriously doubt that they are going to get a lot of uptake. National broadcast maybe interested, there are a lot of people that are not happy with the transition to full digital and the overly crispy sounds their products now have. Though this more an issue of shitty operators than it... blah blah

I think that was a mistake for them to market this as an open use product for sale to all consumers. Shitty operators making decisions at the controls of Harrison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. droplet

droplet Rock Star

[QUOTE="MPC Channel

Single License Price: $1,500.00 USD"[/ATTACH]

R2R price : ?