Harrison Mixbus 32c v7

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Joe Crisp, Oct 26, 2021.

?

How practical would this be as a primary DAW?

1. Very practical

12.5%
  2. Not practical at all

37.5%
  3. Somewhat practical when used with another DAW

33.3%
  4. Stick with what you're on, it's horrible

16.7%
  1. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp Platinum Record

What's your opinions, how practical would this be as a primary DAW?
    I was thinking about trying it as a primary

3. kickback

kickback Member

probably good if you have fuckarounditus

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The only way to no for sure, is to test your theory/

5. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Some classic albums were mixed on the original Harrison 32c console, so by flawless logical deduction the DAW version should enable you to produce classic albums.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. odod

odod Rock Star

Own this thing, never use it :( it is just not user friendly and it's unlike other daw, but i like their ideas on each channel.
    The best to use it for mixing (audio) only i guess, because you are going to use it as a "console" instead not as a DAW.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

If I was going to use another DAW type app as secondary, it would only be to have additional/different capabilities than Logic.
    So it would be Bitwig, FL, Renoise, Reason, or something like that. If I wanted something to replace Logic, it would be Cubase, Ableton or Reaper.

I know it may be unfair because I did not give this thing a lot of "time to get to know it". But I think you would be hard pressed to name another modern DAW that I would not pick before this one for production purposes. I'd rather use Luna than this. :bow:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  8. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

depends on what you need

9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Great for mixing. Console vibes.

10. Jeff*

Jeff* Kapellmeister

What I like about Mixbus, is the Polarity Maximizer function.
    In one click with selected tracks, Mixbus automatically calculates the optimal phase flip correction for each track. Saves a bunch of time when multitracking drums for exemple. Should be in every daw !
    Going to try v7 again as now vst3 is supported, but only for fun not work
    (I learned a LOT from Mixbus back in 2017 when I got more serious. Got me into console workflow thinking, applied it to Reaper and Pro Tools just with select plugins.)

11. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

MixBus 32C isn't so much a DAW as it is a Summing Box with bells & whistles. Record/Track in any other DAW try mixing it with that same DAW, hundreds of plugins required and numerous moves. Stem it out, drop it into MixBus and voila 85% of the way already there. I have tried to beat Mixbus mixes with so many DAW's and plugins but for mixing it just can't be beaten.
    Unlike any DAW MixBus has a sound immediately the moment you feed any audio into it.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Majik

Majik Newbie

Just did a mix yesterday and I am really impressed

13. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

The "magic" of mixbus is some 2 bus tape and the (bus) eqs + compressors. I use(ed) it sometimes as @ThorntonQ said as a digital summing device. Send buses to it and sum them. I could never make a complete song in it.

14. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

You will not get any "analog" mojo with the channel strips in Mixbus 32c as the EQ's and compressors are totally clean (it does have some optional tape saturation for the 2bus though). If you are looking for something like this, Studio One's MixEngineFX and Universal Audio LUNA are probably better choices. If you are only looking for the workflow of a console, it might suite you fine. You can also check out SSL's new 360 plug-in mixer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

That is objectively not true. It's placebo effect.

I've spent a lot of time on MixBus' forum, and Harrisson itself says that Mixbus' engine is as clean as it gets. It doesn't have a sound at all, and nulls with any other DAW out there. You can test for yourself.

The main point of Mixbus is the analogue like workflow.

In terms of sound, it simply doesn't do any magic.

The only stage that introduces some subtle harmonics is at their tape busses. Even though, all its tape emulation does is introduce a single second degree harmonic and some slight LP/HP filtering. That's all...As far as tape emulations go, theirs is extremely rudimentary. The same goes for the inbuilt compressors; very simplistic designs.

So, if you want to buy MixBus for the cool analogue workflow, which can indeed be fun (and fast), go ahead. If you want to buy it for some alleged fairy dust analogue mojo, don't, because it doesn't have any.

Oh, and their EQ cramps, both native and plugin.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021