Harrison©️ and Lonely Rocker's deleted video response to Dan Worall

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dj_jon, Sep 11, 2023.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

They probably deleted it when they realized it made them look worse. I can't say anything bad about Mixbus, because I only used it once before deleting it. But I did that because it did seem like something you would get bundled with a consumer grade audio interface. I just chalked it up to one of those that you just don't see what everyone likes them. Delete the demo and move on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. clone

clone Audiosexual

See above. I watched it because I wanted to see someone go back and forth with Dan Worrall about technical issues, suspecting it probably would not go well. I thought there might be some "finer points" or something. Anything. It's far worse than I would expect to see. A Joe Rogan show probably contains more facts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Dan Worall is Sitting Bull, Lonely Rockers General George Custer...here at Greasy Grass ([email protected]). They never had a chance and really should have thoughtfully avoided the battle, turned tail, slunk away and run, offer an apology for past wrongs committed and somehow make amends to their customers for shoddy workmanship. Dan too is the fly in their ointment of deception. Yuk, how fucking gross can it get, lol!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Metaphor overload
    :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Madness over method squared.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

poor lonely rocker.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Didn't watch. Bit I don't believe in analog mixing, summing as it is magic, 3D and mojovibe. It is just preamp saturation, components, circuits of inputs, outputs, wiring (noise, hum, extra artefacts etc.) and what happens inside this all. But not 1+1 in analog vs digital. It was proved also by Dan Worrall, when he mixed thru analog summing vs each channel recorded thru analog summing device and mixed digitally. Nulling result was just hiss noise. Is hiss noise called 3D magic in analog summing?
    Digitally you can add hiss noise by plugins or record analog noise as track and add to track. Usually I add this too, but too subtle, almost under level one can here.
    So, for me, analog summing is clean, slightly noisy mixing plus saturation of preamps and components, architecture...
    Harrison console DAWs IMHO are just DAWs with usual digital mixing engine with emulated built-in saturators. What else is so special here?

8. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Tucker would be great at talking about super low Trigger thresholds, it would be nothing but sustain and no transients.

9. hot rats

hot rats Member

SSL bought Harrison so.. obviously they want to forget the whole thing. Now.. a guitarist who uses the Mixbus 32C for recording live guitar? Really, the latency of the program is.. forget it! Anyway, Harrison goes iLok soon. For most users who supported the project so far.. we lost money and time. We are still waiting for an “improved” 32C channel update that works in M1 also. Mind you.. the latest v.9 sounds different from previous versions. What they call “wide and open” to me sounds more digital and on par with other DAWs. I don’t have serious problems with the older Mixbus, but I work at 96Khz 32bit. I don’t know why experts forget to mention the sample rate when they test audio.. well

10. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I worked on a Harrison MR-4 console that so many classic Australian records were recorded on ..and I can tell you for a fact, Harrison Mixbus sound Fk all like a Harrison console... Dan Worrel is pretty spot on "most of the time" Its just garden variety code with a "Harrison graphic" and all that voodoo that comes with brand association.
    Who the Hell is Lonely Rocker?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Lots of people won't read the text and may just watch the vids and listen, so better to have both sides in text and video form up front I'd say, if both are available.

12. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

He is an audio Youtuber. I only know of him because he inserted himself into this Dan Worall/Harrison beef. Smart move by him honestly. It got him lots of exposure, albeit not all positive

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  13. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

I'm gonna be that guy, but both sides are not completely right or wrong.

Harrison claims that their product is a faithful emulation of the analog hardware. It's not, because it cramps. Is cramping audible ? I don't think so, but why not implement basic OS or anti-cramping technologies if you want to claim to simulate the hardware ?

Dan says that "no analog consoles are 100% linear" but that's not exactly true. There are analog devices that don't produce any kind of harmonic distortion within the headroom used. And we can't consider them non-linear because they produce noise, digital has dither/quantization noise too. Of course, if you deliberately overdrive the input, then it will distort, but so will digital above 0dbFS (or more if using floating point, but there's still a limited dynamic range in that case). The Harrison plugin has been calibrated so that a certain dbFS in the digital domain equals a certain voltage level in the analog domain. If there are no distortion at the voltage level that equals 0dbFS, there is no point in modeling harmonic distortion because there is none. You could implement a virtual headroom setting to emulate the behavior of the console when greatly overdriven (above 0dbFS), but I don't think Harrison is "lying" because there are not doing it.

I don't think Dan has ever took measurements of hardware Harrison consoles, so he can't say that the modeling is bad. Maybe the console really is linear, he doesn't know. But, he also has a point saying that no EQ plugin claiming to sound like analog should cramp.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

First. Dan Worrall did not call Harrison Consoles "liars". He methodically stated his opinion on their marketing & statements versus use case with examples.

Second. After a year for the first video & 11 months after Dan's reply to Harrison's reply, does it really matter any more?

Especially being that SSL has acquired Harrison Consoles and surely has and, will quash any potential problems like this that could harm brand & customer relationships.

Note:I went back to watch the first video just to be certain I remembered things correctly.

Both of Dan's videos can be found here for those that are curious:

15. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

He was probably losing views because of that video. I was never a regular follower but, definitely stopped viewing his stream after that. Not to mention what comments there & in forums he has received.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Regardless of this whole he said, she said playground malarkey, I did try Mixbus 32C back when it was on version 4 or 5 and did a project with it. To my ears, it did then, at least, have a warmer, more analog-like sound and feel to the sound than other DAWs. No idea if this was backed by anything or whether just a placebo effect, but going with solely my ears, I quite enjoyed it and thought the sound was better than any other DAW. I just didn't continue because it was super limited in other ways, like MIDI, VST instrument usage, and so on. I'm sure these other bits have improved by now that they're on version 9 or whatever they're at, but I've never felt the draw back to it, except perhaps to try out an audio stem mastering project or similar.

17. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Dan calls Harrison (specifically Nathan who is on the far left in the video) a liar in his "I got a reply from Harrison" video

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  18. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

It has been mentioned in passing in other threads. At least once by myself.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agreed with comment "don't care" because I do not use their plugins, so why should i "care"? Not because of this video, and even if they had this subject of debate completely nailed down; I still would not use or buy their products. Even though Dan Worrall seems to clearly prefer using Fabfilter plugins, if he discovered something wrong with them; I can still think of 10 other EQ's I would use before Harrisons software.

I took the time to watch the video, and I am almost surprised by how much an insult to someone's intelligence their video might come off as, to people. So why not comment? But they could switch from audio to making soccer balls in Pakistan tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear over it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

I couldn't find anything using search, although now this thread pops up

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023