Harrison©️ and Lonely Rocker's deleted video response to Dan Worall

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dj_jon, Sep 11, 2023.

1. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

A while back, Dan Worall got into it with Harrison Consoles regarding their 32C Channel Strip plugin. Dan Worall claimed the plugin is snake oil, and not analog as the marketing says it is. He calls Harrison liars and claims they are purposely false advertising their plugin in order to "rake in the cash".

Harrison responded to Dan Worall's claims via this video interview with Lonely Rocker. However, it was recently deleted for unknown reasons.

Who is right in this situation? Dan Worrall or Harrison & Lonely Rocker?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Don't care, really

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

so I watched the first three minutes before the guy on the right tells the viewer about him being neutral in the situation. I don't know who he is at all, but he comments about software he "is just now working with them on". And " Will be integrating Harrison products on his mixbus soon" (i.e. was probably given a free copy of stuff).

i'm not sure what to expect further into the video. But sliding that in real quickly like that, is already a decent-sized red flag and a reason to expect bias.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Normally people who don't care don't bother replying lol

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Never imagined that a dev would know less than Tucker Carlshole about music tech. And spread more disinformation! Also the silly strawman "show your face Dan Worrall"? I wished throughout that video that the dev's (paid) bestie had hidden his gorgeous visage under a bag, tbh. Also that someone had just hidden his guitar full stop. Not worth pirating their products.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

My thoughts exactly. Lonely Rocker is clearly biased towards Harrison. I think he deleted this video in preparation for the release of his "collaboration product" with them

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I think he meant he doesn't care if the Harrison plugin is Analog like or not.

As for the OP Question, I think that the issue lies in the perspective that ITB tools has to perfectly replicate an analog circuit when advertised.

Having mixed records on boards earlier on in my career, the biggest difference was the workflow and the feel of the environment.

Obviously, you never got to have all those digital tools back in the early 2000 so the product was mixed differently and the music did reflect that as well.

Not knowing any better goes on the buyer naivety imo.

In my early days, as an uninformed kid, I also thought red shoes ran faster because they did show someone running fast on the box.

All of that to say that In this day and age, people with strong feminine character get offended very quickly so that sort of ''Karen'' like behaviour from an internet warrior is not really a surprise.

There's a whole forum that claim to base their judgmental analysis on science that says that ATC monitors are some of the worst speakers out there.

There's also an ongoing threads on another forum that says that you should master your music at -14db LUFS regardless of the genre because of platform normalization even though many pop genre deal with -10 to -8db LUFS.

If all the professional had to stop to all those ''Roger the spreadsheet warrior'' opinions and claim, none of the great record we have today would exist.

Let those couch manager be couch manager and let the professional work.

That simple.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm not saying anything bad about the guy. i have never watched his yt's or anything like that. But that is some weasel-wording if i have ever heard it. He says he has been "training on Harrison Mixbus and installing it at the studio soon". Well, where is training then now?

Then he says "he hides behind his videos, no-one knows who he is ". This is also a sure sign of oncoming facts which may not be overcome in this video. If you can't attack the data, attack the guy. Now there are three of them, but it seems to me they still may face a steep uphill battle disproving Dan Woralls' video/critique they intend to address. I haven't watched that either. They are making the response video that this guy says they can't make?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Here's Dan Worall's original video criticizing Harrison's plugin

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  11. clone

clone Audiosexual

put this up in the first post if it is the other side of the discussion then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

I thought I explained Dan Worall's side pretty well already in the text

13. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

True but I was already here :wink:

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think you have a incorrect summary of the situation, then. Dan Worall is not making a point about it being "more or less analog". He is saying there is distortion due to cramping. He seems to suspect that they took regular-old readily available code examples of a linear eq and used it.

Then he says it would not be outside of the realm of possibility for their "new daw" to also be example open-source code, with their name simply slapped onto it. He is implying they did not actually code the program.

I like this guy who says he is not a "dsp guy". they are locked up back in the kitchen on potato peeling duty, or otherwise busy. (kp). If you have some DSP genius and you want to make a reply video to something from Dan Worrall, then who tf is this guy? Let's hear it from Mr. DSP.

15. triplechin

triplechin Guest

16. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

you're a bit late

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

The cramping and linear eq is what I meant by "not analog". I was just simplifying Dan's point.

18. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

This is the first thread on Audiosex about the topic

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

They made a rebuttal video and left out the rebuttal. they didn't even try. they went with "you mix with your ears" and "we can't hear below 10K" style platitudes. I don't know what Dan Worrall even originally said, but this video does not even attempt to disprove it; whatever it was.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

That's probably because no one cared enough to make one till now... cuz the drama itself happened almost a year ago.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Lonely Rocker just deleted the video recently, that's why I'm posting about it now. It's still ongoing