harmon kardons for studio monitors

Discussion in 'Studio' started by ca5plays, Mar 28, 2016.

1. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

does any one want to lend their opinion to a discussion , about using harmon kardon speakers as studio monitors for music production and listening or for movies and gaming

i was thinking about two omni 10s or 20s . would the price and power usage be worth it or is the sound quality just not worth it ??????

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

No man,stay as a far away as possible from this for music production,get proper monitors,something like jbl lsr 305,they arent expensive and are good for music production.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

General rule is: You want flat frequency response, not colored/hyped.
    I think dedicated monitors are much better than hi-fi speakers.

edit: Also, it's *Harman Kardon.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Ultrasonic

forget about these...spend the money on studio monitors...there are a lot in that price range...Presonus Eris 5, Mackie MR5 MK3, Yamaha HS5 just to name a few

6. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

so what makes the kardons bad for music production , i was amazed by the power of the little omni 10 it keeps the entire back of house at work jumping. it has all the bass and stuff , i really enjoy it , at least my ears do , i know it wears off , but what speakers are better than kardons , i was also thinking they are good because they can be connected to wireless devices , so i could play multiple sources , like my phone or someones laptop .. lemme know plz

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

The harmon Kardons may sound great for released music, but when you are working on your own material, you want a set of monitors that is unhyped and not unnaturally flattering the material. the HK's are made to sound good and color the sound.... I would NOT use them to mix or work on music, but fine for other things, like listening to records or testing your own mixes etc..

8. SyphonX

SyphonX Kapellmeister

I do not think you understand the basics of music production. Just get some more information about building homestudios and producing music. Then you will discover that Harman Kardons are not the way to go.

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You need transparency for music production.This Harman is ok as a kitchen device,otherwise its crap.
    Used to sell similar Philips omni speaker,they were quite expensive,but they were so bad i told customers to not bother and they were thankful,i couldnt sell junk to our customers.

10. SyphonX

SyphonX Kapellmeister

Yep, I think you can use them to practice discus throwing too.....

11. donniekq

donniekq Member

Think of it as learning to use photoshop on a monitor showing messed up colors. Yeah, you can see the outlines, maybe even watch a movie if you get used to it, but that's about it. You can't trust it, nor can you calibrate it It's useless for professional use.

That or any other dumb analogy, the point is no, you can't.

12. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

when you asked in the other thread you already got told what to buy

If you are happy with those hifi speakers then do it, what are you asking us for?

make sure to ask your mum if its ok

13. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

thanks guys , i thought the speaker was good , it was on sale for 100 bucks so i thought it might be a cheaper solution , i just want the dope-est sound , do you have any suggestions for a speaker system under 100$ that can kick the crap out of the kardons as listening speakers only plz let me knowz