Hardware Compressors

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by tooloud, Jan 21, 2018.

1. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I have my 'go to' short list of compressor emulations that I use for specific instruments, but I wondered if perhaps I'm not using the best type for that purpose. I have asked for Hardware emulations because an extensive VST list could go on forever. And I'm pretty well set for Bus compressors. It's just for individual tracks.
    So tell me what are your favourites for:
    Vocals
    Bass
    Acoustic guitar
    Electric guitar
    Piano
    Percussion.........anything else you can think of.
    Flugelhorn?

3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I like to use the UAD 1176 emulations for almost anything. I really like the new Distressor emulation too... Slate makes a nice Distressor emulation too. All of these can be used on a wide variety of instruments including vocals.

4. The Disto-S from SKnote is badass. 10:1 for vocals works for me kinda like an opto to nicely smooth things out, but not in a sterile way You can also nicely destroy your drums as a group or individually on a snare or kick. There is lots of grit to be found if you wish it and a more kinder, gentler side to it also if you don't engage the transformer option. It works for really anything that you wish to imbibe with some color. It is also relatively inexpensive at 50 smackers. I got a free upgrade from the original version. A really great customer service experience and Dev with really great plugins at very fair prices.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. TW

TW Guest

Well you should pick different hardware emulations and try them yourself on different instruments so you can hear for yourself the differences.
    It is like allways in music it is all about taste and depends on the source (fast hard rap like vocals or softly female vocals) and your goal.
    You want to make a Source larger than life ? Or just tame some peaks?
    Sometimes a 1167 fet is great on Vocals others prefer an opto la2a and some use them in serial.
    You can use 1 compressor style for everything.
    So there is no real best type.

6. spyfx

spyfx Guest

for vocals tube tech & la2a
    for bass Fairchild 660 and 670 & some saturation
    for Acoustic guitar
    Electric guitar
    Piano also Fairchild
    for drums & perc : dbx 160
    for flugelhorn & other similar Fairchild & la2a
    for having some elements stand out in the mix try in parallel an aggressive setting with dbx 160,1176 :wink:
    Distressor is classic for drums also
    :wink: :bow:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I have been fortunate to work with the great (and often expensive) hardware compressors, which are so often emulated in these plugins. They all sound great. But I think it's more important to learn the different compressors (FET, opto, VCA, Vari-mu, etc) and how they differ sound/characteristic-wise. Basically how they sound on different material that is being fed through them.

Some vocals sound great with LA2A (I can't really make it sound bad) but some vocals are more suited with an 1176. LA3A and distressors are great for drums, as they are fast and the distressor has saturation to bring out some great taste.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

A compressor compress.
    I use RVox on master Buss too.. sounds great!

• List
  9. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

for vocals 1176 Bluey
    for bass 1176 Blacky
    for guitars LA-3
    for keys & piano Fairchild 670
    for drums & perc SSL E Channel
    for parallel drum bus SSL G Bus Comp
    for horns LA-2A

Finally... For mixbus my favorite is the Focusrite red3 or SSL G Bus Comp

10. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Baxter brought up a good point. Learn the sound and the usual go-to application of FET, OPTO, VCA, Vari-Mu, PWM, Diode. Transformers vs. transformer-less. Track insert vs. 2-buss. Color vs transparent. Simple utility vs serious damage. Comp vs limit.

Check out ZEN audio's clipalator and listen from monitors or good headphones :

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Whatever you find works best is easier than listing what you might want to try to be honest.
    Try anything on everything is what I'm saying, There isn't a right or wrong way.
    I'll refrain from suggestions as I'm certain someone will have already mentioned it,
    The one thing I will suggest though to remember to try out is two separate compressors on the same
    signal, For example on a snare (among other sources) I find the rapid and aggressive nature of an 1176 to catch the initial transient information and deal with it then an LA-2A afterwards which have a more more laid back attack to take care of the body and tail of the snare is a very good combination, I've utilized the same setup but set appropriately for vocals can work extremely well too.
    That combination along with a dyna-Mite we're my into utilizing the principles of transient design/envelope shaping dynamic processing before there was a specific piece of gear designed for/as transient design/envelope shaping processors.
    Nowadays the amount of stuff available is epic both in the hardware/analog realm and the software/plug-in realm,
    There are dare I say maybe to many options it seems sometimes!!!
    That is ultimately better for us all though as the more competition, The better we get :)

All the best and to alll as always :wink:

Dean

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Attached Files:

13. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

more shots >>> i own and use some of these hardware boxes for tracking >>>any of the Tim Petherick versions IMO offer most of the same sonic properties of their Hardware brothers ;) Cupwise lunchpail is right with them aswell>>> great API version ... all of these offerings have Side Chain, HP, Wet/Dry and look ahead ...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Attached Files:

14. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List