hard drive recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Pronto, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

i've currently got a 3TB, 7200rpm hard drive for my sample libraries, i think its a seagate but not certain and would like a larger drive..i'm on a PC with windows 7 64 bit sata 6gb/s mother board etc.
    i'm looking at a balance of price, reliability and speed of access (being very large i don't want it to fail and i can't really back it all up). i've done a fair bit of research but my mind is becoming a haze and i don't think i'm any clearer.
    i'm not going to go down the route of taking libraries off my present hard drive..i know thats an option but i'd like the bigger drive. 6tb would be about right i would say. my budget would be about £200-230
    has anyone got any tips or thoughts they could share please?
    ..i thought about going back to raid 0 as two 3tb drives would be a cheaper way of doing it and i know the latest generation of hgst deskstar drives are pretty reliable, but i think it still might be risky.
    i'm anxious that if i go with say a western Digital green 6tb which seems a better price, the access time and load time would be noticeably greater, even with sata 6GB/s..
    i looked at the enterprise drives which seem like they have longer lives without errors but again they start to push to the upper budget..any experience of these..any experience of using the NAS drives for sample drives?
    i know a lot of reviews are anecdotal and once a rumour gets about there's a general trend for or against a particular drive, that a drive can be good for one person and terrible for another, but is there a best drive or group of drives i could look at at the moment?.. thanks in advance if you can offer help.

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

from what i've read, any drive larger than 2tb is risky. doesn't matter which brand. the reliability just isn't there yet. 6tb is pretty much at the bleeding edge of consumer hard disk drives, and i would not trust one of them if you're not going to back it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Don't.buy.WD.green!!!!

http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critical-design-flaw-found-in-wd-caviar-green-hdds.html

I've lost a 1 tb drive beyond recovery, I'm never gonna buy this crap again.

Read this:
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

That's really everything there is to say on this topic.

5. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Best choice available:
    WD black 2tb

6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

What about DVD/BD backup? The only way to take care of your valuable data is not use:

1) Cloud (where are the servers located?),
    2) Huge size H.D. (>2TB... Murphy's law and planned obsolescence).

7. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

Buy this one:
    ST2000DM001-1CH164.
    Because that is a hard drive too even if it really is a hard disk and not a hard drive you know.

8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I would recommend western Digital black multiple smaller drives if You have space in Your case.

They are fast enough if You defrag it every time You install a new library, and they are very reliable (at least in my case)

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Dear Sir, could you do us the honor and explain that, as you are what appears to be an uncommon master of this field? Forsooth, your science jargogles us!

10. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

I am done with this thread too.

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Oh come on, don't be mad, we're all having a frolicking good time thanks to you :)
    Must be fun to have a beer with you :wink:

12. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Get Samsung M9T 2TB - it's 2.5" 9.5mm form factor. Very fast, reliable and silent. Have one for 6 months now, no issues. :wink:
    Also consumption is quite low, as it's 2.5"

Could someone explain to me what's the fuss about Dazeon's question? Yes, I didn't understand it as well, but it's no use to give him/her bad time. :dunno:
    I once asked about which EQ goes to 40kHz and all I got was laugh and trolling attempts, then finally someone 10 posts later mentioned HarmoniEQ.

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

really, fraifikmushi, that sarcastic answer of Yours creates a really bad atmosphere :dunno:

Dazeon was not rude or unpolite to deserve such a comment ?!?

14. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Did you see his other thread? He is pretty much seggesting a drive he's having a hard time with. It only appears benign because it's out of context (given the previous thread).

I mean, I'm trying to maintain a clear head (I tried to ignore the bad use of language as he's obviously not a native speaker; not to mention getting ironic about things he didn't understand and just plainly ignoring suggestions and possible solutions) but this is getting ridiculous (bleeding all the nonsense in another thread).

To put it another way... It seems he's frustrated and shitting on another thread to let off steam. (And trolling more clearly)

15. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Ah, I see...

A funny guy I must admit :bleh:

(my apologies fraifikmushi :bow: )

16. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Always old school mine. I put important data on 'plastics'(even projects backups). I had some collections from 98-99. *yes* :wink:

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

A hard disk and a hard drive are the same thing, comes from the acronym HDD or hard disk drive. And why would you be recommending a product that you yourself have opened a thread that centered around various issues that you were experiencing with it?

Concerning the OP's question: don't get large drives. More than 2TB is not good because larger sizes require many more moving parts (platters). If one of them fails then the drive ceases functioning properly, so the less moving parts the better. I max it out at 2 and if you have many you can get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) but it will cost you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Unfortunately, I have lots of old cdrs I cannot read anymore.
    There is a new technology available, M-DISC, that is supposed to bring longevity to optical media.

19. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

thankyou very much for your ideas so far, something to mull over.. to add a couple of points for clarification, whilst i take your point about backing up, what i'm after is a larger overall capacity internal hard drive.the 3TB that i have is nearly full..ain't nobody got time for that!
    i've had a couple of 640gb wd blacks and they were good, but the suggestion to go to 2tb, i could be wrong but do you mean 2 x 2tb blacks in RAID 0 giving about 4tb?
    my 3tb has been great so far..running well and about 160-170 mb/s average read on hdtune.
    for an average kontakt library of about 8GB..what is the read/write zone to look for in a suitable hard drive..ie 4k sequential or continous, 512k etc?

20. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

You can of course put them in a RAID configuration, but for using them as "sample containers", there is actually no need for that.
    I have 4 x 750 Gb (WD Black, 7200, 32 Mb), in a classic (non RAID) configuration, and I do not experience any problems when reading samples DFD.

They are 4-5 Years old by now, and I had no issues with them (knocking on wood)... no bad sectors and not very hot (around 45 C.).

21. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

say i've got a drive (D:) for my audio data, which includes kontakt libraries, Impulse responses, Nebula content etc, all the content for plugins, and i add drives to spread these things out..you're saying it would still work like one drive?..I think its called jbod isn't it?...or would i need to name drives i add e, f, g and so on...so there wouldn't be any confusion for finding samples..say if i've got a number of kontakt libraries in the folder kontakt libraries..can I spread these libaries over more than one hard disk?
    do you know if the drives have to be the same type and size..could i have say a 2TB WD black and a 1TB WD black..or would it only see each as the the same size as the smallest , ie 1TB in this case?
    i know this is a case of 20 questions but any help on any one of the questions would be appreciated to help me get an understanding of how it works, as this would be cheaper for me.