Hans Zimmer teaches film scoring

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by ed-enam, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I do have to say there are many workshops for composing and movie production on youtube.
    Hans, Junkie XL and many others have several videos on yt explaining their workflow secrets etc.
    Hell, if all fails we still have @foster911 our AS librarian :wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. surprise

surprise Newbie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I know Hans quite well, and have an early preview of his film scoring masterclass. After he explains his method in detail, u can kinda understand where he's coming from, and appreciate his craft more fully:

Suprisingly interesting & thought provoking!

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thats funny.Not long ago you`ve trashed the shit out of HZ in this thread;
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/hans-zimmer-s-best-score-soundtrack-vote.26144/page-2

One of the things you`ve said.
    "All of his film work is forgettable bombast or forgettable dirge. Or both, if u ever watched Interstellar. Those uber-wanky, endless fucking 90s pad swells from Pearl Harbor still haunt the nightmares of anyone who has functioning ears. He' very much belongs to the "I got a synthesizer for Xmas" school of muzak :("

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Well, anyone can change their mind, VS! Espcially easy after having got to know dear little Hans...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

All good.I respect people who are able to change their stance on certain things or admit they were wrong.:mates:

7. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Hans Zimmer on v.i.control forum on this masterclass,

Hans Zimmer Masterclass

This was, without doubt, the most exhausting thing I've ever done. I haven't seen the final edits yet, but these guys knew how to mercilessly drill down to get answers to questions that I never had to articulate - things I had just learned by having the opportunity of "doing" and, very often, failing. After each relentless day I felt truly drained. But I think that's exactly how it should be.
    I took this very seriously, and so did the whole crew and producers. Here guys take passing on knowledge very, very seriously. And yes, it's mostly writers and directors who watch the composers, while I watch Aaron Sorkin and Dustin Hoffman. And my friend Werner, of course.
    Forget about me... the quality of people they have - and are getting to do their classes is pretty amazing.
    Yes, it's a very long program and still it always feels like we just scratch the surface. Yes, it only is my point of view, or things that are particular to me - things I've learned on my journey. And it was nearly impossible for me to find the words to articulate some of the ideas and experiences (I wish I had Aaron Sorkin's command of language!!), but I really, really tried my best.
    And I agree with Alexander Schiborr. It's not amazing. Or shouldn't be. It should be a model for common education. Affordable and taught by leaders in their field. We all have something to learn from each other and we should all take a moment of our time (which is why I like this forum) to share knowledge and experiences.
    -Hz-

Someone asked,

Thank you Hans. I truly appreciate and respect how you share back with the community seeding the roots for future generations.
    However, I'd really like know what gems of wisdom you might find for yourself in doing such a course?
    As they say, teaching others is the best way to teach yourself. So what do you learn from this experience that you find valuable for yourself? Cheers, Greg

Just the simple fact of being forced into articulating and intellectually working out things which are second nature to me through having absorbed them "by doing" and just by being around great film makers, musicians and editors made me want to complete some of the things that I just had as half-asked questions and concepts in my own head.
    And it really focuses you to commit to certain vague aesthetic ideas. You can't really answer Luke-warm. You have to be pretty hot or cold. That doesn't mean you can't grow, keep on learning and change your mind later on. But for now - for better or for worse - you get my personal point of view and everything that's sort of gotten me to the place I'm at in this career...
    One thing, as an example I tried to really drill down on and that was very important to me was trying to get the point across that you don't need a huge budget to make a successful score...

-Hz-

Great respect Hans!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I could be wrong but watching the video he has posted I believe he is being sarcastic there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

You are missing Trump University..
    He teaches you how you can use his real estate knowledge to make money.
    He just settled out of court for 25 Million also, Of course you know that is no wrong doing on his part.