Hans Zimmer teaches film scoring

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by ed-enam, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Hans Zimmer teaches his first ever film scoring class, coming early 2017. Pre-enrollment is for $90. Looks interesting and I think I am going for it.

"Ideas are not limited by budget," Zimmer insists. "The creative process takes place in your head." What's more, in the four-time Grammy winner's opinion, "the interesting ideas come from some kid in a garage in the Bronx. You just need to break through the myth that you can’t create a great Hollywood blockbuster on an iPad. If you have a story, you can do whatever you want to do."

Visit MasterClass for more details.

There is also something for EDM guys. deadmau5 teaching electronic music production.

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

F*ckin' A right it's satisfying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I'm calling bullshit on this site early... Why? Call it intuition, but I find it extremely hard to believe this unheard of company was able to pull this many A-listers to honestly teach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. HETISFRANK

HETISFRANK Producer

Considering they already have masterclasses out there (not necessarily pre-enroll) with huge A-listers for acting, singing and screenwriting, I'm quite unsure what you want to call bullshit on. I guess maybe the quality of teaching? But you could check out what aspiring actors think about their acting masterclasses from some A-list stars. Or you could just not pre-enroll (like I am) and wait for the thing to be released and either check a bunch of reviews or wait for it appear on AZ and check out a couple lectures before you consider making the actual purchase. Especially in the case of Deadmau5, I may be interested but at the same time his Razor videos were filled with cynicism that I'm unsure whether he will indeed honestly teach.

There is probably some very big funding behind this stuff and that's why they were able to pull only A-listers for their masterclasses. Who knows, might even be Warnor Bros. or Sony making the jump into online masterclass production if they consider it a growing business and worth the investment. It would definitely be easy for companies like that to pull the A-list stars out of their mansions and get them to do these courses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Remember to upload it afterwards :)

7. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

Hans Zimmer teaching you how to make orchestral mockups , Deadmau5 , Christina Aguillera on vocal training , this is f@ckin amazing if you ask me. And yes it seems hard to believe they are giving away these tutorials only for a 90 bucks enrollment fee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

"Coming Winter 2017"

:(

But really a cool trailer

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Well if you do simple math.Lets say 5.000 people sign up for Hans`s crash course.
    That is 450.000 $.
    Lets say Hans takes away at least 50%.
    And he probably spent only one day for this.
    That means he just earned more per hour/day than he did for any other movie.
    Easy money.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Money for nuthin' and your chicks for free.

11. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

NEXT UP

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

would give my firstborn for this! :hahaha:

14. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

BET these "masterclasses" will be on par with the Slate Chris Lorde Alge classes. BIG NAME, huge hype, great promo, buy 90 minutes of beginner pro tips.... Plus when people say masterclass I think of 2 things. 1st, the teacher. Is he really a master? I'd say all of these guys are as close as you can get. But is the teaching truly masterful? Are we going to learn how to eq a side-chain going to the sub bass channel for the 1 billionth time? Or are we going to learn some real voodoo shit like breaking the misconceptions about expensive gear, how to truly listen, arranging, counterpoint, sound design, engineering THE LIST COULD GO ON. All I'm saying is don't expect much... If they somehow deliver even on 1 or 2 topics in depth "and I mean IN FUCKING DEPTH" than I would consider this a success. But I'm naturally a glass half empty kinda guy. Just seeing this many 5 star chefs in the kitchen smells fishy.

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Well the guy did outsmart 90% of media, actors, musicians and politicians.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.
    Never underestimate your opponent.

Do not engage an enemy more powerful than you. And if it is unavoidable and you do have to engage, then make sure you engage it on your terms, not on your enemy’s terms.

:shalom:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

But these are speculations in this particular case my friend. You never know unless you try. I was also disappointed in many so called mixing tutorials (am no where near any of you in this regard but still..) until I watched 101 mixing tricks by Bobby Owsinkski. But again it's all about how you set standards for yourself. May be his tutorials mean nothing to you. So yeah...somewhat I agree with you but experience says he won't let his reputation down and jeopardize the respect he has earned for the money he will get from this.

Edit: Highlights of the masterclass, for you to judge and for everybody's interest.

01. Introduction
    02. Hans' Influences
    03. Hans' Journey
    04. Learning by Listening
    05. Working within Limitations
    06. Working with Directors Part 1
    07. Working with Directors Part 2
    08. Working with Directors Part 3
    09. Approaching Story
    10. Approaching Story: Creating a Theme
    11. Creating a Sound Palette
    12. Creating a Sound Palette: Sherlock Holmes
    13. Creating Sounds using Synths
    14. Scoring to Picture
    15. Scoring Under Dialogue
    16. Tempo
    17. Tempo: Sherlock Holmes Scene
    18. Creating a Music Diary Part 1
    19. Creating a Music Diary Part 2
    20. Character Theme: Batman
    21. Character Theme: The Joker
    22. Character Theme: Jack Sparrow
    23. Character Theme: Moriarty
    24. Case Study: Sherlock Holmes

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

True and there is also another website delivering masterclasses from the well known industry mixing engineers and artists https://www.mixwiththemasters.com/register/

18. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Available on 31-01-2017 :wink:

19. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Or maybe, just maybe, he had a little help from Mother Russia and the elections were indeed "rigged" as he used to say.

That's a bit weird that nobody ever mentioned this possibility. Well, I guess we'll probably never know for sure.

To get back to the subject, it indeed looks like an amazing opportunity and 90$ is a steal if this is quality tutorial. Assuming this is the real deal, I bet there might be much more than 5000 people interested in this. We'll know soon enough I guess.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  20. =$450,000...minus production costs and salaries=$180,000
    $180,000 x how many master classes?

21. Brad LaForme

Brad LaForme Producer

Waaaaaooww
    Now I know what I will racketeer to Santa !!!!