Hans Zimmer - Randomly famoused composer

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by metaller, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Observer

The Observer Guest

No I don't. Hopefully, without sounding like a dick, the statement of I have a life outside of the Internet is actually very true for me.
    I am sort of well-trained musically but that is neither here nor there.
    I try to listen for the good in any music.
    If everyone here looked at all film music historically, the deciphering of the supposed 'John Doe is better than James Doe' stuff is really irrelevant. every composer served a function for the movie at the time. Supplying a list of any composer's credits is something that the composer never does. That is generally done by their agent, manager and publicist who then sends it off to IMDB and the like.

To me, it is the same thing as rapper hating rock, or a rocker hating jazz, so on and so forth. It's ALL music. For me, it is a good piece of music or it is not a good piece of music no matter the style, the orchestration or the supposed 'skill'.
    It takes skill to get someone to sell a lot of music these days and often enough sadly, that has nothing to do with musical skills.
    There are three things needed to stay in the field Zimmer is in and the one thing nobody here has twigged to has nothing to do with musical skills. It is the same thing as people need to get on in life. He has made himself accessible and likeable to his employers.

If anyone here asked anyone well-known musician or film scorer or orchestrator/composer what one of the most important qualities is, they would tell you that they would rather get someone that can do the job that is easy to along with, than someone that is a complete a-hole that is an incredible musician.

So while my skills and ears tell me what I need to know, I see no point in using them for any reason other than to appreciate.
    While Hans Zimmer may be any number of things and I am pretty sure he knows his own flaws better than anyone here, he serves a purpose in the film industry. whether it is his scores enabling us to appreciate others more, or the ones of his that are good, or the ability to enjoy or a movie more or less, or understand the function of what a movie scorer is, he still serves a function.

So saying anyone is crap, still comes down to preference. I do not love Kenny G and I would call him an instrumental pop musician, he is not a jazz musician. BUT he serves an important function. Then again, that is only my opinion and next to the other 7.7 billion people in the world it counts for little, except to me. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Do tell us how many Turkish brothel-like furnished studios in globally prime real estate equipped with hundred of thousands worth of vintage gear, notwithstanding a decades long scoring history your superior training has brought you?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Is this a bad thing considering his job? I mean, scoring films ranging from Driving Miss Daisy to Madagascar to Interstellar, there is such a diversity that it would be almost impossible to have a style shine through every score. Saying that, I actually like the way he approaches it by immersing himself in creating a unique score for that film. However, is his style not the modern bombastic hybrid scores that are an alchemy of traditional orchestras, synthesizers and computer controlled instruments? In terms of unique things he's created, I can think of a few, such as the over a minute long cello scrapes at the start of The Dark Knight that is immediately identifiable and the brass barps he used in Inception, which tons of composers have pinched since over the past decade.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Please dont anger Neuralgia, or else he will show you his great training in typing.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. The Observer

The Observer Guest

Ah harve grate tiping skeels, ah went to dah Evlin Would sped reeding an torping corspse weef duh xtra boneus of felm scouring.

That was actually hard to do. :-|

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hmmm, what i wrote then must be a mirage ? :winker:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

I work with them too! We call ourselves Dm McMuzak gang...

Not randomly chosen nor unfortunately. Everyone in its righteously place.

The good news is that there's an opening for good and talented score musicians in this forum to fill his place, as long as you have the skills and balls to do it.

The bad news is that is not going to happen...

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

And to ruffle the cat's fur, ofc. :yes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Well, kinda. Since it is his job! You can recognise Hermann, Morricone, Williams, Elfman, Vangelis et al distinctly. Even that Pixar guy! But Hanz / Janz / Franz / McCommittee? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Me either.
    Anyway, I'd recd looking at Deadshot's argument w/ Rctec (Hanz) online; he figuratively Zimmers on his orchestrator's grave (while taking credit for her work!) at one point.

I'm not sure he does, the function of a film score is to fill in the blanks, reinforce / reveal emotion. And (supposedly) have you whistling the theme on the way out. I know I feel more listening to the THX trailer than I ever have from Handzy's scores. Both aim for the spinal column and bowels, moar than the heart and mind. It's a pity that the only things other ppl remember are sound effects, not rly his function either.

Yeah, tis a bit late since it already does...!

10. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Have you seen that movie, down there, famouslut?

I've spent the day listening to your soundcloud page...may I respectfully criticize your work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

says all i need to kno...

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Who is Hans Zimmer?

Anyone here know about Johan Sebastian Bach? He was randomly forgotten in 50 - 70 years but Felix found him - and thats good.

HZ isnt a composer. He´s a wannabee all the way with a few skills and a huge a computer/studio loaded with all the stuff we all dream of.

Can this "composer" actually write a desent tune?... nope! Its all epic, thunder, low basses, horns and stuff. Yawn

Hans Zimmer will soon be completely forgotten.

My 5 cents

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errrr... I can say agreed, but so is almost everyone else, why pick on the most successful of the bunch and crucify him, is what i don't understand.
    How did you come to this conclusion mate? I think, as long as those movies are played, what you are saying is next to impossible. And movies like The Pirates of the Caribbean or Sherlock Holmes are already modern classics. Inception, Interstellar... And good movies just like good albums imho, rarely stop being relevant.
    Cheers mate

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If you knew his material, all the way from the 80s, like the Rain Man, which won 4 oscars for the best movie/actor/screenplay/director and was nominated for another 4 including the best original score, you would be a bit more careful with such vapid descriptions.
    You are basically describing any Transformer movie.
    He also did scoring for the Gladiator, The last Samurai and about a dozen of other very meaningful movies.
    Movies like the dark knight or inception are more pop synth-string oriented, which are still very cleverly written, lots of great hooks and amazing emotional build ups.
    He also scored Days of thunder, very guitar-synth-band driven score with Jeff Beck.
    I seriously wonder the sanity of some people here with massive egos and very sub average knowledge of song writing, composition and mixing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

1989: Oscar nominee for Rain Man
    1989: BMI winner for Rain Man
    1990: BMI winner for Driving Miss Daisy
    1991: BMI winner for Days of Thunder
    1992: Anthony Asquith nominee for Thelma & Louise
    1992: Saturn Award nominee for Toys
    1992: BMI winner for Backdraft
    1993: BMI winner for A League of Their Own
    1994: BMI winner for Cool Runnings
    1995: Oscar winner for The Lion King
    1995: Golden Globe winner for The Lion King
    1995: Anthony Asquith nominee for The Lion King
    1995: BMI winner for The Lion King
    1996: Saturn Award nominee for Crimson Tide
    1996: BMI winner for Crimson Tide
    1996: BMI winner for Broken Arrow
    1997: Saturn Award nominee for The Rock
    1997: Oscar nominee for The Preacher’s Wife
    1997: BMI winner for The Rock
    1998: Oscar nominee for As Good As It Gets
    1998: BMI winner for As Good As It Gets
    1999: Oscar nominee for The Thin Red Line
    1999: Oscar nominee for The Prince of Egypt
    1999: Golden Globe nominee for The Prince of Egypt
    1999: Saturn Award nominee for The Prince of Egypt
    2001: Oscar nominee for Gladiator
    2001: Golden Globe winner for Gladiator
    2001: Anthony Asquith nominee for Gladiator
    2001: ARIA nominee for Gladiator
    2001: Saturn Award nominee for Gladiator
    2001: Saturn Award nominee for The Road to El Dorado
    2002: Golden Globe nominee for Pearl Harbor
    2003: Golden Globe nominee for Spirit
    2003: Henry Mancini Award winner
    2004: Golden Globe nominee for The Last Samurai
    2005: Golden Globe nominee for Spanglish
    2006: Saturn Award nominee for Batman Begins
    2007: Golden Globe nominee for The Da Vinci Code
    2009: Golden Globe nominee for Frost/Nixon
    2009: Anthony Asquith nominee for The Dark Knight
    2009: Saturn Award winner for The Dark Knight
    2010: Oscar nominee for Sherlock Holmes
    2010: Emmy nominee for The Pacific
    2010: BAFTA nominee for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    2010: Saturn Award nominee for Sherlock Holmes
    2010: BMI winner for Sherlock Holmes
    2011: Oscar nominee for Inception
    2011: Golden Globe nominee for Inception
    2011: Anthony Asquith nominee for Inception
    2011: Saturn Award winner for Inception
    2011: EDA Award nominee for Inception
    2013: Saturn Award nominee for The Dark Knight Rises
    2013: EDA Award nominee for 12 Years A Slave
    2013: BMI winner for The Dark Knight Rises
    2013: BRIT Award winner for Outstanding Contribution to Music
    2014: Golden Globe nominee for 12 Years A Slave
    2014: Anthony Asquith nominee for 12 Years A Slave
    2015: Oscar nominee for Interstellar
    2015: Golden Globe nominee for Interstellar
    2015: BAFTA nominee for Interstellar
    2015: ASCAP winner for Interstellar
    2015: Saturn Award winner for Interstellar
    2016: Golden Globe nominee for Hidden Figures
    2017: Emmy nominee for Genius
    2017: BAFTA nominee for Planet Earth II
    2018: Oscar nominee for Dunkirk
    2018: Golden Globe nominee for Dunkirk
    2018: BAFTA nominee for Dunkirk
    2018: BAFTA nominee for Blade Runner 2049

And there’s tons more nominees and wins for many more minor and/or local awards too.....now can we stop this ridiculous thread? Please?

And if you want a melody you can’t get out of your head, here you go:

And if you want a beautiful and epic track that the likes of Ennio Morriconne or John Williams would be proud of, here you go (and I think Viennese orchestras will know what’s an orchestral track worthy of them playing):

now please stop this absurd thread!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. maverickvd

maverickvd Member

THIS ANSWER (WORD TO WORD) HAS BEEN POSTED ON A DOZEN WEBSITES. Even a single word has not been changed. This alone raises so many questions on your authenticity. And why the fuck would you take so big of an initiative to defend his reputation on web so passionately?

And on your website it shows that you worked on Dunkirk and then you claim at fucking 10 different websites/forums/blogposts all varying from 2012 to yesterday and everywhere you say that worked for Hans Zimmer for about "8 years" and then you were fired and then you work on Dunkirk (composed by fraud zimmer). WTF?? You're BUSTED! You liar.. You seem to be not just a cock sucking PR but a lazy dumbfuck who keeps on copy pasting the same 7 year old script everywhere.

And those of you who don't know, he has an army of producers/composers that do all of the substantial work for him. JunkieXL, Ramin Djawadi, powell, balfe, wallfisch are just to name a few who used to work under him. These are the real composers whom everyone respects and admires so much. Ever heard of anyone hating them? No and that's because it shows up if you're faking it or not.

Pirates of the carribean theme was composed by Ramin when he used to work under him and that interstellar theme was directly picked up from Thomas Bergersen's Sun album.. These are just few examples at the top of my head atm. So all the people who admire him are under illusion that he is doing all of the substantial work, but those who know the reality don't even consider him a real composer, forget about respecting him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

It's Johann Sebastian Bach. My favourite classic composer...

if you prefer auf Deutsch, Johannes...

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Please dont mentally challenge non randomly accomplished members of AS.

20. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Always thought it was Johannes, but who cares? :P

Anyway, the legion of spammy Zimmerbots are quite notorious, @maverickvd - it's kinda interesting that Hanz spends so much time and effort modestly having his ego stroked on VI control et al, given how "busy" he's supposed to be!
    Oh, you're the one who finally managed it. Guess being a fan of Hanz has hardened ur ears to that kind of Omni garbage! :D

No. You can disrespectfully criticise anything you like. Might be off-topic here, tho.