Hans Zimmer - Randomly famoused composer

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by metaller, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

right ppl in his circle....right plain hollywood recipe product right on time when it needed..nothing more or less..

von steyr is right but when you compare him...heh heh..such a plain money production horse

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. alexbart

alexbart Producer

He is a composer, he does the music to match the movie, so it makes sense if sometimes the music alone without the movie doesn't sound great.
    In my opinion he is in the same fashion as other composers such as Junkie XL and as it happens in the music world, popularity is not always the result of excellence. I would say it's not comparable to Morricone or Vangelis (just to name the first two that comes to mind).

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

Ahh yes, Eric.

The much-overlooked smarter younger brother of Ennio.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm sorry, but this suggestion in the original post is pretty moronic :rofl:

He wrote multiple theme tunes for BBC shows in his time in London, which 100% rely on a short, catchy melody. One of his most famous themes was the theme for Going For Gold....

He wrote the track Video Killed the Radio Star for The Buggles (and cameos on the keyboards in the video). Known as one of the catchiest songs ever....

He has written some of the most memorable film 'themes' of recent time. Some, such as "You're So Cool" from True Romance is virtually solely reliant on an amazing melody...

....as is some of his earlier soundtracks like the Driving Miss Daisy theme tune....

...and the amazing score for Gladiator...

More recently, tracks he wrote for films like Inception and The Dark Knight Trilogy has become the pinnacle of film music. I mean, he literally invented the barrrrp :rofl:

...and lastly, this scene, mostly due to the soundtrack alone, is one of the more intense and best movie scenes in recent times....

....just my tuppence worth :wink:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. NitroRocks

NitroRocks Member

Simon & Garfinkel agree with you. :mates:

6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Well done, @Bunford great takedown! Driving Miss Daisy, especially XD

Apparently (famously) written by some other guy.

Zimmer represents all of us who write using synths & libs, to Hollywood. He had a chance to learn and grow, ensure that the cutting edge meant something. Instead he represents the decline of music as a way to heighten emotion and (importantly) give visually impaired / blind people some reference to feelings onscreen. Everyone should see Headshot's take on it.

By now, the rabid Zimmerbots are usually telling us what a great businessman he is. I think there was a similar, feverish response whenever anyone criticised Weinstein.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Hmz I can understand why someone loves or 'hates' him, but bare in mind though - like already mentioned - that the music needs to support a movie. Of course, in the past there were way more (epic) scores/themes in general - sometimes the music really MADE the movie - but lately it's more supportive/experimental in the background. Maybe he adjusted his style a bit to nowadays needs. But saying that he doesn't deserve his place is just not true. At the end, only a single opinion perhaps :winker:

I mean, check his discography and in particular Rain Man, True Romance, The Lion King, The Rock, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Pirates, Batman, The Da Vinci Code, Sherlock Holmes, Inception, Interstellar or even Madagascar. That's quite a list! Or what about his live shows? Check Youtube for examples.

Sure, John Williams is a modern Mozart and should be a hero for all OST fans - the man is almost 90 !! - but unfortunately his music isn't that memorable anymore. Or what about Alan Silvestri, Basil Poledouris, Danny Elfman, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Thomas Newman etc. .. Hans Zimmer belongs to me in this list. Also agree on Thomas Bergersen/2SFH btw.

Yes, his (and Benjamin Wallfisch's) take on Blade Runner wasn't that interesting but don't forget that Jóhann Jóhannsson (RIP) was an option first but director Denis Villeneuve wanted a closer approach to Vangelis' work. Funny detail: I'm gonna watch the original BR again in the cinema tomorrow during a classic show. :disco:

Anyway, besides HZ, here's some recent musical art showing that 'epic' themes during goosebump scenes are still being made :thumbsup:

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I have to say that a lot of times i am not really impressed by Zimmer's orchestral composition. But this is really irrelevant.
    H.Zimmer's body of work, is true evidence of a musician/composer who's achievements and unique "touch" will be a lesson to teach for generations to come. His approach knows no musical boundaries and he's managed to incorporate every "forbidden by industry standards" musical idea he had in his scores boldly, with no prejudice or remorse whatsoever and most important, without ever being intimated by the "Hollywood pesky suits". Everyone who's opinion matters in this art subject we call music, whether they like Zimmer's music or not, they all agree he has taken the paradigm of orchestral scoring one step beyond. For this, let alone the rest of his achievements as other posters have shown, we should be thankful that there is a Zimmer to revolutionize scoring as we know it, especially in these -bland, overidden by dictated fake stars- times we 're living in. His work is a shining beacon of hope that has already paved the way for indie composers to stand a chance at getting heard, at an opportunity to work and why not, recognition too.
    So, you may not like his music, but thinking this guy is overrated, is quite a naive notion. Moreover, if you cannot understand why and how he has turned the scoring industry as we know it upside down for the better, you need to step back, take some lessons and then research, observe and listen.
    Years ago i 've had a similar conversation with a couple of American friends about Vangelis. My friends would insist that deep down he is an inferior composer, especially for scoring, because he is more or less a self taught artist and sometimes his scores lack the evolution a "true" traditional composer would involve. Well, my answer was simple:
    "Vangelis' music travels in space representing the human kind... The rest is blah... End of story".
    Thanks for listening :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. NitroRocks

NitroRocks Member

You've nailed it. :wink:

10. sthlm808

sthlm808 Newbie

If you love Morricone so much its maybe time to learn his name.

11. Gyro Gearloose

yeah man enrico....compare him to hollyfutt hans....:rofl:

:lmao:

12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Gyro Gearloose

back when soundtracks was cool

and here
    hollywood emotions assembly line..its a good peace of music but bla

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Gyro Gearloose 'blah' seems to be the essence of our existence nowadays. Shit sounds good.

Now press Return.

15. babuk

babuk Producer

"Threads like these are the reason this forum cant be taken seriously" yeah man, put this on the wall.
    And make the "dumb" button great again. Threads like this need it.

16. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Is it so hard to understand that his soundtracks are specifically tailored to blend with the movies, not to stand out, not to be in the background and certainly not be memorable on their own?

He knows exactly what he's doing, man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I find it curious how some people blast Zimmer but praise John Williams, like you can’t like both or something. To me, John Williams is like The Beatles of the scoring world and Hans Zimmer is like the Jimi Hendrix of the scoring world; one is a master the art form, the other is more experimental and pushing up against boundaries, but both are talented in what they do.

And comparisons can always be made. I mean, the amazing John Williams quite blatantly, for his masterpiece (Star Wars) soundtrack, ripped off Gustav Holst’s Planets, especially the Mars track, yet is praised as a genius. It has Star Wars all over it! Don’t get me wrong, Star Wars is an amazing bombastic score, but there’s no denying that even geniuses aren’t that original sometimes, evidently!

18. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Gyro Gearloose

yeah then listen to max richter and compare what real emotions are...real music...real fitting on motion picture scene..but also great without..
    here a exemplification
    :::::::::

enrico
    max

hans

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Gyro Gearloose

everyone can copy hans....go on try to copy enrico or max...

kontakt hans:rofl:recoil the first is better then him...
    he is such a suit...
    but yeah he is a great musician but he is the face of decline and the end of an era...blv it or not ..
    when he dies morrow..3 days later we have except copycat for him..
    ---

man i get often wet eyes when i hear really touching stuff but when i would listen live to the last video of hans posted by me , i would fighting to not laugh when seeing them sheeps getting touched by his 0815 assembly line..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019