Hans Zimmer Piano - What model is it?

Discussion in 'Presets, Patches' started by safran5020, Nov 1, 2017.

1. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Like the tilte says, I am wondering what model of piano was sampled for this library. No where in the documentation nor Spitfire's web site is mentionned the brand and model of piano that is sampled. They always refer to "The Piano"...

Besides the fact that it is the piano in Lyndhurst Hall at AIR Studio, I've never been there and probably neighter did you. So how are we supposed to know what piano sits there. I have read on Wikipedia that AIR had two Bosendorfer Pianos?

Any one has that information ?

Thanks !

3. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

4. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    'The source piano for this Kontakt Player-based instrument is a Steinway D that resides in AIR Studios, London. It’s long been a favorite of composer Zimmer for scoring sessions and simply playing for enjoyment. Not only does the virtual version offer four mic positions—from very close to a position intended for use in rear surround channels—but you get multiple options for which mics occupy each of those positions. The resulting tonal variety is such that I could use HZ Piano for whatever musical mood a song required, whereas before I would have been asking myself which of my libraries was right for the job. That this single piano can behave like a dozen or more is a testament to what’s possible when the developers really know their recording techniques. Plus, since all that variety is “baked in,” I found myself reaching for EQ and effects barely at all, whether I wanted the piano to cut through a mix or snuggle down into it.'

http://www.keyboardmag.com/virtual-instruments/1185/review-spitfire-audio-hans-zimmer-piano/57493

5. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    And just for fun, Hans Zimmer appeared in this vid playing the synths.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

"Over 60 microphones were used to record AIR Studios’ Steinway D piano."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-hans-zimmer-piano

D-lightful
    As you’d expect from a premier London scoring facility renowned for its award-winning movie soundtracks, iconic classical albums and top-selling pop recordings, AIR Lyndhurst’s piano is no battered pub honky-tonk: it’s a flagship Steinway Model D concert grand, a top-of-the-range, nine-foot monster favoured by concert pianists, leading jazz players and even Presidents of the United States (there’s one in the White House). Like the unaffordable mansions advertised in upmarket property magazines, this impressive beast tends to list with a coy ‘price on application’ tag, but based on an eye-watering listing of $137,400 back in 2012 it’s fair to assume a new Model D would cost an arm and a leg.