Hackintosh + Studio One 4

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Moonlight, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Thanks moonlight. Yeah, that's kinda my thinking. Just bite the bullet and get the mini. Only concern is that I really want to run it hard and I'm concerned about thermal throttling on the MM. What a joy to run a hackintosh and never really worry about excessive temps. You're right, installs shouldn't be an issue on the same OS as a real mac, I was more thinking about reboots/open ssh stuff.

2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

never tried those

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Please make a quicktime screencast to show how fast it if on your side, please?
    No I havent disabled Metal support. I just tried:

• iGPU only
    • Lilu

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

yeah i would also like to know that, please keep me posted regarding that topic , if you like even via pm, please

related:

I wonder how this will be in a real-life DAW project

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

I've done so much research on the MM2018 and most of it is really positive. However, it does get hot under load but you have to push it quite hard to get there. Problem with all the research is, what exactly is 'quite hard'. For myself I want like 10+ Diva's, 5+ IK tapes, stuff like that. I get that all computers have limitations but so much more so on a mac with the minimal cooling. The MM2018 is a very fast computer but it's the mini size and poor cooling ( albeit better than 2013) that is the real bottleneck.

It's why I considered a super cooled hackintosh. The joy of running multiple instances of heavy plugs and never seeing the temps go above 70 degrees, that's like a dream come true for me after training my eye over the past years to constantly monitor a temp gage on my 2013 macbook pro. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

most times before I even hit 50% of the overall CPU load , i most time ran into cpu spikes or one core overloaded.

8. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

9. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

So is that a bad thing with logic x? I heard one poor guy build the most powerful I9 hackintosh but logic refused to use even 50% of the computer's power. Logic's performance meter was pegged but his real CPU load was minimal. Those kinds of things scare me on embarking into the hackintosh world. I would only be using logic as my main DAW.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  10. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

That sounds more like a Logic issue. Once you have a properly configured hackintosh, the experience is identical to a Mac. You definitely get WAY better cooling, not to mention the expandability. Plus, you can build it as big or as small as you like (can go as small as those Intel NUC)

I notice better performance in all benchmarks, and real life use, on the same exact hardware when using MacOS as opposed to Win10. Same machine, dual booting, better performance.

The two sites I use most is Olarila (properly configured DSDT is a godsend) and Tonymac (excellent help forum)

I went hackintosh many years ago (OSX Tiger I think) and it has been my go to ever since. Had many incarnations, and built many machines for other people. A few of them are in working production environments (audio and video), and have never had any complaints, just love for how much $$ was saved and how good the performance is.

It's definitely not as easy as installing Windows. Doing your homework on what works and what doesn't is probably the most important. In fact, the best way to go is to find a machine with specs that match what you want, and build that exact machine. Then you can use the clover folder posted under the machine and will have (usually) very in depth instructions. Get a DSDT from Olarila (or figure out how to do it one your own) and you will be loving life.

11. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

That's great man, lots of useful advice. I actually just PM'd you.

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Thermal throtteling is an issue on APPLE Computers, because they are designed to be thin and stylish which results in inappropiate and insufficient cooling. On Hackintoshes this is usually not the case because they are basically just desktop computers with a lot of space so air can circulate in them. So as long as you have proper fans installed and configured everything correctly thermal throtteling this is not a real issue.

13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

regarding performance, I mean the real bottle neck is that Logic do not spread the load of one track to multiple cores.
    So if you have one instrument which heavy cpu load on one track it could bring down any CPU quite fast, especially CPU's with low single core performance

14. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

what advantage does a dsdt brings theses days ?

15. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Here another example video it makes it even more obvious
    http://sendvid.com/uudnsg3d

while dragging the window, you can see that the mousepointer leaves it's origin position,
    it even get's over the yellow area far away from the point it grabbed it.

There is no lag at all when tweaking knobs etc.

16. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

not only logic.afaik only reaper does it proper.its kind of fraud.there is a app who unlocks cores but i dont think it works well

17. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

One thing is, it enables me to have both Nvidia and AMD in the same machine, but, the Nvidia PCI slot is completely disabled, only on the Mac, since I’m using Mojave. Also, if you look in apple menu in system report, all of the pci devices will be reported correctly. It also allows sleep/wake to work exactly correct without any weird extra patches or kexts. It basically makes the entire machine more stable as MacOS just recognizes all the components properly.
    Maybe it’s all in my head, but, I’ve never had such a stable and everything working properly machine till I used the custom DSDT (which is dependent on your BIOS version, so, don’t just grab one for your board unless you are positive it’s for the same bios version)
    In my case, I have lots of pci devices too, so, everything populated correctly, and somehow, the pci slot is just not even found where my Nvidia card is (which is great cause a 1080ti no work in Mojave).
    It was also the easiest way to to have quick sync work properly, as I was having problems with it up until using the custom DSDT.
    I don’t pretend to understand the voodoo that goes into it, but, there are many tutorials on how to do it( it requires a windows install)

But, I thought, what the hell do I need that for, my hack is working fine, and I haven’t even thought of a DSDT since back in the snow leopard days. Everything about my machine got better after adding it though. Check out the olarila site for a deep dive in all things DSDT and a bunch more info. That dude is a genius

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Theses guys create DSDT for me either ? I did it in past myself but I miss the knowledge to make it properly. I wonder if my system works even better than now !

19. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

Yes, Moldon is super cool and very helpful. There is an app called RunMe that you download from the olarila site which you run, and it will populate a zip file which you then upload to the forum. Not long after that, you will have a perfectly working, custom DSDT

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual